Quantcast

Fried hay

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
My weathermonkey™ apparatus shows -17F.
All heating breakers at the off position.

Might attempt a little 'sortie' on the Hoks.

Stay warm monkeys!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
balmy 41* here

apparently mom thinks dad put her in memory care b/c he's having an affair with the head of the assisted living place :rofl: good lord.

slept like crap but slowly feeling better. wife had teh yuk now though.

have a LoVeLy DaY everyone!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
balmy 41* here

apparently mom thinks dad put her in memory care b/c he's having an affair with the head of the assisted living place :rofl: good lord.

slept like crap but slowly feeling better. wife had teh yuk now though.

have a LoVeLy DaY everyone!
How is the shoulder?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hallo peoples

reading ultrasounds today. Normally this would be in house at the hospital but I have neither a resident (vacation) nor a fellow with me (just due to their rotation schedule). So I figure that gives me a great rationale for WFH instead, with no one to read out.

up to the mountains this weekend as per our usual. Shouldn’t be as bitterly cold this weekend for a change.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Wife is off getting her wisdom teeth hammered out, so its just me and the kiddo cuddling on the couch.

Good way to begin the chilly Friday, but I only took the morning off so I'll be back on the bullshit this afternoon.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My weathermonkey™ apparatus shows -17F.
same. -42°F with the wind. was out riding last night, and I can attest that the wind is indeed very cold. drove my kids to school today, and even after a good half hour of driving, the (manual) gear box still felt like pudding.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Got an early bday gift from friends in France. A mix of beer and wine. Sounds awful but weirdly it's super good. Tried it in Paris last year. Kinda makes me no longer grumpy I have a cold sore

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We have not been in love with the new to us CRV we purchased this summer. I know it a stupid time to do this but we’re debating looking again. :rolleyes:

Might go RAV4 hybrid. . . If I can find one.
What did you get? The wife got a '21 that she loves. I don't hate it, but we didn't look at anything else. We wanted the hybrid, but this was all they had.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We have not been in love with the new to us CRV we purchased this summer. I know it a stupid time to do this but we’re debating looking again. :rolleyes:

Might go RAV4 hybrid. . . If I can find one.
'tis a very stupid time!

on the other hand, if you can find a RAV4 Prime, isn't this month the window when all vehicles (but not all buyers--AGI limit still in effect now with the IRA) are eligible for tax credits, prior to the IRS submitting a final rule?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Last official day of "work" and will have to look for a job. Maybe I should run my resume through ChatGPT? That might be fun.

It's a warm 36 today and seems toasty compared to yesterday. Still nothing close to y'all easterners.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Last day at work for wifey after being given her funemployment card.

I told her to put this as her out of office message for as long as her email account remains.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
What did you get? The wife got a '21 that she loves. I don't hate it, but we didn't look at anything else. We wanted the hybrid, but this was all they had.
We got a ‘19 EX-L non hybrid. It’s not that we hate it, we just don’t love it. I bash my knee on the shift lever console all the time. The AWD system is my biggest issue. It doesn’t seem to handle varying road conditions at all. I am a big Honda fan, just not this.

You can feel the awd system searching when the road is ice/snow/clear mix. Enough so that the first time it did it I thought it was going to put me into a slide. Dealer says I don’t know what I’m talking about.
I can feel that a little in our '17 CR-V, but it's about the same as any vehicle transitioning from, say, asphalt to gravel. I retain confidence in what the vehicle will do.

I also don't use cruise control in mixed winter conditions with either of our vehicles; vehicle deciding to shut the control down on any traction loss ain't nice.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You can feel the awd system searching when the road is ice/snow/clear mix. Enough so that the first time it did it I thought it was going to put me into a slide. Dealer says I don’t know what I’m talking about.
oof, don't do the rav4 hybrid then. The AWD-i system is garbage. If you actually care about AWD, get something else. I think the regular motor version isn't bad, but the hybrid uses an electric motor in the rear and it's just enough power to get the car moving from a slippery stop, it has no bearing on how the car handles in a turn. It is effectively FWD until you finally put it in a snowbank and try to back out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

If the tires are worn unevenly an AWD system can get confused and is always thinking you are slipping on something. You need to rotate tires a lot with AWD vehicles especially those with active differentials.

My car calibrates the rolling speed of all the wheels in lieu of a pressure based TPMS sytem, I wonder if it also uses that data for the AWD system?

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
If the tires are worn unevenly an AWD system can get confused and is always thinking you are slipping on something. You need to rotate tires a lot with AWD vehicles especially those with active differentials.

My car calibrates the rolling speed of all the wheels in lieu of a pressure based TPMS sytem, I wonder if it also uses that data for the AWD system?
It has brand new rubber, it was “certified” when we bought it and the dealer put new rubber on. I asked at the time why a vehicle with 18,000 miles needed new tires.

@Sandwich that’s what I wondered. I’ve driven my friends 22 rav4 hybrid and it seems nice, but not in snow. I’m more concerned since it’s my wife’s vehicle. My ‘16 fwd accord handles now like a boss.

@johnbryanpeters. Same, I have turned off all of the lane change/braking/cruise bull shit. Not a fan.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
When searching for new car we were set on either a CRV-HRV, awd. We test drove both and hated the HRV, much less the CRV. But Honda dealer had a Forester that was just traded in. Was willing to get off the lot quickly cause, not a Honda. We test drove it and immediately fell in love. Big windows, uncluttered cockpit, nice power (2.5) and a general solid fell. When winter came we were not disappointed. That thing drives like a charm. Not the most economical, but we only average 6k miles a year.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I bash my knee on the shift lever console all the time.
I, too, dislike the crowded center console feel! 'tis electric so may not be suitable for you, but the Hyundai Ioniq 5's interior is so lovely and open in that regard.
It is effectively FWD until you finally put it in a snowbank and try to back out.
Welcome to how FWD-based Haldex systems drive
When searching for new car we were set on either a CRV-HRV, awd. We test drove both and hated the HRV, much less the CRV. But Honda dealer had a Forester that was just traded in. Was willing to get off the lot quickly cause, not a Honda. We test drove it and immediately fell in love. Big windows, uncluttered cockpit, nice power (2.5) and a general solid fell. When winter came we were not disappointed. That thing drives like a charm. Not the most economical, but we only average 6k miles a year.
The Forester has a solid AWD system! and big windows, yes. I recall it feeling narrow when I test drove it years back, though, fwiw.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Good morning!!!! 40 degrees and cloudy. Walking the kids to the bus stop like everyday. Going to take the truck in for new tires and bum around the house today.