Quantcast

Fried hay

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It has brand new rubber, it was “certified” when we bought it and the dealer put new rubber on. I asked at the time why a vehicle with 18,000 miles needed new tires.

@Sandwich that’s what I wondered. I’ve driven my friends 22 rav4 hybrid and it seems nice, but not in snow. I’m more concerned since it’s my wife’s vehicle. My ‘16 fwd accord handles now like a boss.

@johnbryanpeters. Same, I have turned off all of the lane change/braking/cruise bull shit. Not a fan.

Did they put on shit tires? I'll take a RWD with an open diff and good rubber over any fancy drive system with garbage tires with a hard as hell compound.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Had a great talk with my pops about death and dying. He just did a set of interviews with a local NPR affiliate with his thoughts, which is really cool. He is part of a group that is all about exposing the bullshit of the funeral industry, and provide education on burial and body disposal alternatives.
He is supremely rational, and not unreasonably sentimental, and is *basically* ready to get on with it, but still enjoys life and visits/etc to the fullest. He is happy, and at peace.
Interesting guy, and I expected no less.
my analogy that he said was spot on was that he is basically at the end of the meal, and waiting for the waiter to come around and bring the check, but is enjoying the company until that happens…but isn’t quite ready to call him over and say “Check, please”.
I hope my death incorporates just a tiny bit of the dignity he is showing.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
When searching for new car we were set on either a CRV-HRV, awd. We test drove both and hated the HRV, much less the CRV. But Honda dealer had a Forester that was just traded in. Was willing to get off the lot quickly cause, not a Honda. We test drove it and immediately fell in love. Big windows, uncluttered cockpit, nice power (2.5) and a general solid fell. When winter came we were not disappointed. That thing drives like a charm. Not the most economical, but we only average 6k miles a year.
We loved how our ‘13 Outback drove it was just a bucket of shit as far a maintenance. So not sure I want to go that route again. But they can’t still be shit boxes right. . .??

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Had a great talk with my pops about death and dying. He just did a set of interviews with a local NPR affiliate with his thoughts, which is really cool. He is part of a group that is all about exposing the bullshit of the funeral industry, and provide education on burial and body disposal alternatives.
He is supremely rational, and not unreasonably sentimental, and is *basically* ready to get on with it, but still enjoys life and visits/etc to the fullest. He is happy, and at peace.
Interesting guy, and I expected no less.
my analogy that he said was spot on was that he is basically at the end of the meal, and waiting for the waiter to come around and bring the check, but is enjoying the company until that happens…but isn’t quite ready to call him over and say “Check, please”.
I hope my death incorporates just a tiny bit of the dignity he is showing.
I’ve got an uncle near the end of the meal and waiting for the check. The last 6-7 months have been really hard and it’s about to get harder. He’s been in hospitals and rehab facilities trying to get to a point where he can return to his house. He’s not physically ready to go home and his home isn’t ready for him, but the insurance and facility people just decided they will discharge him tomorrow. An appeal is being prepared. He’s at a point where he can’t do the things he enjoys, but he’s not on life support, he’s in some fragile limbo of needing lots of care to stay comfortable.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Same here, in some ways. My dad has had ALS for over 16 years, so he has had a very, very long time to ponder mortality. He knows he can’t come home, so it’s just a matter of going from palliative care to hospice, really. But it might be awhile, we just don’t know.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Same here, in some ways. My dad has had ALS for over 16 years, so he has had a very, very long time to ponder mortality. He knows he can’t come home, so it’s just a matter of going from palliative care to hospice, really. But it might be awhile, we just don’t know.
With my accident related disability it’s hard not to think “what will I be like in a few years?” I’m decent now but I can see my decline over the last 12 years and I wonder how long I really want to have a heart beat considering the (painful) complications I’ll likely have and dependency on others (friends and facilities) for daily life activities. Seeing what being bed-bound has done to my uncle’s mindset certainly gives me pause.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
With my accident related disability it’s hard not to think “what will I be like in a few years?” I’m decent now but I can see my decline over the last 12 years and I wonder how long I really want to have a heart beat considering the (painful) complications I’ll likely have and dependency on others (friends and facilities) for daily life activities. Seeing what being bed-bound has done to my uncle’s mindset certainly gives me pause.

1675446641072.png

could easily integrate some guitar pedals

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My plan is to load myself in a trebuchet and get pesqueeb to fire me at one of the megachurches in CO springs, on fire, very much alive and cognizant enough to enjoy it!

Given my 'soup heater' I'm prime to get some explosives up in there too...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My plan is to load myself in a trebuchet and get pesqueeb to fire me at one of the megachurches in CO springs, on fire, very much alive and cognizant enough to enjoy it!

Given my 'soup heater' I'm prime to get some explosives up in there too...

Have a little more fun with it

1675447015606.png

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
With your design experience and his security clearance we may have a plan!

(still gonna use the soup heater)
No security clearance needed, just altitude. Probably will cost you $50 at the local drop zone to follow that glide path to success.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We have not been in love with the new to us CRV we purchased this summer. I know it a stupid time to do this but we’re debating looking again. :rolleyes:

Might go RAV4 hybrid. . . If I can find one.
I do believe I told you it (our parallel being the Pilot) was going to be boring as hell. But it's cheap and reliable. Wifey's 2019 Pilot is at 33k with just basic service and it's never had an issue. I know 33k is low, but I've already had one recall on the Audi and it's a 2020 with 17k, and we were one issue short Lemon Law before time ran out on the Infiniti before we hit 50k.

If I was, with no budget concern, picking a car with the goal of making it last it would be a Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus. Toyota/Lexus the V8 (ie 4-runner/LC/GX/LX), because it will outlive the chassis. It's just hard to find a mid-sized, good mileage, hybrid or electric SUV that is going to be fun and reliable. You only get to pick two.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Had comp conversation last night. Manager is clearly very concerned given my response and he knew it going in. I got the highest raise and bonus (as percentages) that HR is allowing for, which I confirmed with a friend in HR, and he's bugging out. I guess having our only other Sr person leave for a substantial raise scared the shit out of Sr mgmt. I left the call with "if I'm not getting paid appropriately for my time, then I'm just going to have to be mindful of my time", which he agreed to, since that's the only option he has. Guess I'm taking 2mos off this year.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Had comp conversation last night. Manager is clearly very concerned given my response and he knew it going in. I got the highest raise and bonus (as percentages) that HR is allowing for, which I confirmed with a friend in HR, and he's bugging out. I guess having our only other Sr person leave for a substantial raise scared the shit out of Sr mgmt. I left the call with "if I'm not getting paid appropriately for my time, then I'm just going to have to be mindful of my time", which he agreed to, since that's the only option he has. Guess I'm taking 2mos off this year.
Very tactful and reasonable approach. I bet they ‘find’ a little more $$$.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Very tactful and reasonable approach. I bet they ‘find’ a little more $$$.
Given he directly asked if I was interviewing, vs. 'are you looking' to the Jr guy, vs. not asking to the sr woman who we all know is going to retire with the company, I would agree.

He msg'd me to check in today and I told him I was only responding to critical stuff because I'm too busy studying for my test this wknd. He said sorry for bothering, he forgot, and we'll talk next week. I didn't take today off. I'm at my work comp because my office is quieter than upstairs. I might "work" 2hrs today because I have a 1hr meeting I have to attend.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
9F here. I am all for riding when it's cold or dark or windy, but the trifecta happening simultaneously is unappealing. I may venture outside for the bragging rights tomorrow morning.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Fuckin home ownership...

In the summer I'd hoped we'd cleared whatever causes the water to freeze and backup in an underground drainage pipe from one of the house downspouts.

But no.

It's frozen, backed up and somehow water from the freeze gets forced out the pipe somewhere and through/up/into our garage. Just discovered a massive puddle under the car and across the floor where the water is seeping through the wall/floor.

Not even sure who would look and help with an issue like this. The underground pipe is under concrete path and driveway...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Fuckin home ownership...

In the summer I'd hoped we'd cleared whatever causes the water to freeze and backup in an underground drainage pipe from one of the house downspouts.

But no.

It's frozen, backed up and somehow water from the freeze gets forced out the pipe somewhere and through/up/into our garage. Just discovered a massive puddle under the car and across the floor where the water is seeping through the wall/floor.

Not even sure who would look and help with an issue like this. The underground pipe is under concrete path and driveway...
boo. temporarily cut said downspout and route it aboveground for a while?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fuckin home ownership...

But no.

You can rent a drain camera from home depot, if you want to take a look at what might be blocking the pipe or to see if its broken/crushed..

This obviously doesn't help if its frozen or perhaps even filled with water..

I'd do what jstuhlman suggests, redirect the water elsewhere for now and make a water dam in the garage so that you don't ruin the dry wall.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Just shoveled the driveway, which thankfully due to the freezing ass cold air was only pillowy powder.

We've definitely reached that point where every breath in freezes whatever is inside of your nostrils. :brows:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You can rent a drain camera from home depot, if you want to take a look at what might be blocking the pipe or to see if its broken/crushed..

This obviously doesn't help if its frozen or perhaps even filled with water..

I'd do what jstuhlman suggests, redirect the water elsewhere for now and make a water dam in the garage so that you don't ruin the dry wall.
Expensively rented a camera from HD last winter and proved it was frozen down in there. Rotorooter came and ran a auger down it this past summer and some debris flushed out and we hoped that was what was causing ice to build up and then block the pipe.

No easy way to redirect the downspout and have the water move away from the house :/

I've picked up a heat cable thing that I'll try to get into it for now to help with the ice build up. I'm just not sure what entity I need to help with the effed pipe without digging up all our driveway.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Expensively rented a camera from HD last winter and proved it was frozen down in there. Rotorooter came and ran a auger down it this past summer and some debris flushed out and we hoped that was what was causing ice to build up and then block the pipe.

No easy way to redirect the downspout and have the water move away from the house :/

I've picked up a heat cable thing that I'll try to get into it for now to help with the ice build up. I'm just not sure what entity I need to help with the effed pipe without digging up all our driveway.
Pics of said downspout? Trying to picture your garage, but its not coming to me.

Dig up the driveway. You can fuck around all you want with the other stuff, but uncovering the drain pipe is what's going to tell you how to address the problem.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Pics of said downspout? Trying to picture your garage, but its not coming to me.
Nvm, a wee bit of Google earth + Zillow got me what I needed. :D

I see 3 options:
1. Cut the downspout and let it dump above ground
2. Fish the heat cable through the pipe and let that run during winter
3. Dig it all (or at least a healthy portion) up

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

When you rented the camera, have you noticed a dip in the drainage pipe? An non level drain will fill with water and freeze even though the pipe is clear of debris. Can be hard to see on camera.