Quantcast

Fried hay

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also, you may recall I interviewed a few weeks back with a forklift company and they are still advertising. I went through a recruiter last time, I applied directly today because why not? Autonomous forklift software would be pretty cool to work on.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Good idea @Adventurous on stealing a Zillow pic to save needing to go outside. Yellow badly depicts where the underground pipe runs. It freezes somewhere around where it turns the corner bottom middle to cut across in front of the doors. The water comes through the wall right near that corner to the right of the downspout as you look at the photo. On the far left of the photo is a large tall retaining wall.

Screenshot 2023-02-03 190604.jpg

edit: Jozz, there was still ice blocking the pipe when we rented the camera. Going to need to do it again once it's clear.

:/

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I used something like this to get water to drain away from our foundation.

1675477869407.png

Can't you cut it 4' off the ground.

That way you'd have the height to move it far enough away to keep it on the down slope (and/or add another piece to the end....)

get up for the down stroke slope, everybody get up.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I used something like this to get water to drain away from our foundation.

View attachment 188721
Can't you cut it 4' off the ground.

That way you'd have the height to move it far enough away to keep it on the down slope (and/or add another piece to the end....)

get up for the down stroke slope, everybody get up.
The slope of the terrain means you want it draining to the right side of that photo where the current pipe is supposed to take it. It's a big slope coming down from the left hand side behind that retaining wall.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Jeebus. You guys are getting my water anxiety going. Dealing with shoddy gutters, drainage and road construction right now.

I should just buy an excavator…

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
The slope of the terrain means you want it draining to the right side of that photo where the current pipe is supposed to take it. It's a big slope coming down from the left hand side behind that retaining wall.
Cold hard truth? You're fucked.

Even if you have a perfectly level pipe going down at a perfect slope you are dealing with barely above freezing water. When it runs under your plowed walkway and driveway it will freeze. As more water comes down it accumulates to the point that it fills with ice. After it happens you are screwed for the rest of the winter.

Solution 1, heated cable full length of pipe.
Solution 2, find another location for gutter downspout location.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Feed it into a snow making machine that feeds into a snowblower.
Close.... feed it into an ice making machine and then sell it on etsy as artisanal natural 100% vegan mountain rain water.

Perfect compliment for Sunday afternoon gluten free fancy pinky out cocktails.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Some Bridgestone all season something’s.
@stoney I know, convincing mrs ringle that a pilot is what she needs is the problem. If it was up to me we would have a mini van.
The in-between is the Passport. The Pilot is a lot of unnecessary SUV. For the four of us (+ gma 1-2x/week) it's excessive. If she wants something bigger, but not that big, look Passport. Also look at a Lexus GX. It the luxury life, buy a 4-runner in root. The V8 will outlive the chassis given salt out there.