Quantcast

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Ah the truth! Redbull are a very special company.
Very special indeed.
I have some friends who were very closely involved and or employed with RedBull and in a few of their bigger bike events.
I was part of the crew at one of their biggest European events a few years back as well.

I wont go into to many details here but after dealing with them I dont drink too many RedBulls anymore...

robert716

Chimp
Feb 22, 2010
Reno, Nevada
They only did a couple of runs, and Gee was a few seconds faster each time. They were about five seconds apart on the last run, though, and the writer at Dirt noted that Knight would have likely become faster than Gee if they had done a few more (so Knight could become as familiar with the course as Gee was.)

I expected Knight to win hands down, but it seems that Ft. William is pretty well suited to MTBs.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Track would have been slightly different and conditions too. The track has a section that ads around 3 seconds and reduces the speed you take into the motorway for general use. The track was also in good condition for the WC, it has now had a summers worth of rain (which in fort william is a lot) and use so will be more beat up.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Track would have been slightly different and conditions too. The track has a section that ads around 3 seconds and reduces the speed you take into the motorway for general use. The track was also in good condition for the WC, it has now had a summers worth of rain (which in fort william is a lot) and use so will be more beat up.
Ya, and had ice on the track. Knowing that, all the corners were probably rock hard and had little traction, not to mention all the icy rocks to throw you off.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Turn them around (uphill) and have another go. I doubt Knight's time would be much (if any) slower....whereas Gee wouldn't even make it under 1 hour...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yep, thanks boss. Just wanted to head off any 'lol dh pwns mx' posts...
Fair point mate. Just thought it was a crazy comparison. I would have at least preferred to see something along the lines of "lets see Gee get within 10 seconds on a moto track"

Obvious horsepower differences aside, I'm amazed the moto rider got that close to be honest. That's some awesome riding.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Turn them around (uphill) and have another go. I doubt Knight's time would be much (if any) slower....whereas Gee wouldn't even make it under 1 hour...
He'd be much slower than he was down - going down on a rock drop (or any) is usually faster than going up ;) There are some features which he wouldnt probably be able to hit full speed going up. Though I agree.

Though I don't think of this thread as dh ownz moto. It was on a dh track, not a fair comparison (there isn't one possible). It's like that Tooney Couture fight. It wasnt really boxing vs mma ;)

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I would be interested in seeing a comparison between them both on both styles of bike tho, keep the DH track techy so specific fitness doesn't play a huge part (ie Fort William motorway) then take Gee to Knights neck of the woods and let 'em play.

Don't care about bragging rights, each sport is fecking cool in my book.

The turn it around and send them up the hill comments are dumb.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I want to see James Stewart vs Sam Hill that would be epic,but im affraid that ain't going to happen :(.

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Those times were .20 slower than Gee's previous winning time. loaded you think?

According to those times the top 65 Mens Elite from Ft.Bill this year would have walked away with David's bike.

In-fact, Troy Brosnan would have still beat him by 3 seconds. Hell even Duncan Riffle would have finally won something.

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Those times were .20 slower than Gee's previous winning time. loaded you think?

According to those times the top 65 Mens Elite from Ft.Bill this year would have walked away with David's bike.

In-fact, Troy Brosnan would have still beat him by 3 seconds. Hell even Duncan Riffle would have finally won something.
Did you not watch the video?