Quantcast

Ft William Live!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
True in some venues, you would need pretty much full line of site of the chopper from the TV tech area in order to get your live signal back, if the chopper disappears behind a part of the hill / trees you could loose signal.

Just finished working with some chopper cams at the Volvo Ocean Race in Ireland, they truely offer the best shots and for a DH race they would fill in the sections we cant see. What I'd love to see is a chopper shot of a section followed by a ground camera slo-mo replay of the section you've just seen, rather than just the same section again slowed down. Chopper affords rob and co-comm live action chat and then the slo-mo gives them the opportunity to really scrutinize the line / bike / rider / pink jersey! Really would give a huge range of chat if your not seeing the same thing again just this time slower.

I reckon that above all the cost of putting a chopper cam onto a wc race would be so dear that unless the budget increased to meet it you would have to cut nearly all the course cameras to afford it. (unless someone in the UCI accounting department has a spare chopper lying around they wanna loan out??)!

As for beaming out onto a satellite, if the tech area is in a valley the sat truck can't see out, therefore streaming it out onto the web can be the the best option / cheapest, there are other ways of doing it but other in tv world means $$$$$$
Thanks for the explanation. Lotta of good info there....

BrayDownhill

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Bray, Ireland
no probs, I work in television outside broadcasts, would love to get my teeth into some MTB shows but over here in Ireland its the last thing the channels wanna go near.

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
My bad, I just thought that it was the same voice from schladming had come along to south africa aswell, you obviously took that a bit seriously judging by calling me a dip**** (i like the way you pretended to be bad ass by putting a 1 instead of an i, so that it doesnt get starred out, nice touch duuuuuuuuuude, your wayy cool.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
What I'd love to see is a chopper shot of a section followed by a ground camera slo-mo replay of the section you've just seen, rather than just the same section again slowed down. Chopper affords rob and co-comm live action chat and then the slo-mo gives them the opportunity to really scrutinize the line / bike / rider / pink jersey! Really would give a huge range of chat if your not seeing the same thing again just this time slower.
This I would love to see, especially if Barel was in the booth! His commentary was excellent at Fort Bill, 100% interesting and relevant and a perfect counterpart to Rob.

APIOQM

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
True in some venues, you would need pretty much full line of site of the chopper from the TV tech area in order to get your live signal back, if the chopper disappears behind a part of the hill / trees you could loose signal.

Just finished working with some chopper cams at the Volvo Ocean Race in Ireland, they truely offer the best shots and for a DH race they would fill in the sections we cant see. What I'd love to see is a chopper shot of a section followed by a ground camera slo-mo replay of the section you've just seen, rather than just the same section again slowed down. Chopper affords rob and co-comm live action chat and then the slo-mo gives them the opportunity to really scrutinize the line / bike / rider / pink jersey! Really would give a huge range of chat if your not seeing the same thing again just this time slower.

I reckon that above all the cost of putting a chopper cam onto a wc race would be so dear that unless the budget increased to meet it you would have to cut nearly all the course cameras to afford it. (unless someone in the UCI accounting department has a spare chopper lying around they wanna loan out??)!

As for beaming out onto a satellite, if the tech area is in a valley the sat truck can't see out, therefore streaming it out onto the web can be the the best option / cheapest, there are other ways of doing it but other in tv world means $$$$$$

Brock

PS Loving the freecaster footage and completely understand the restraints upon them by the world feed the uci are providing
Hot air balloon for the win...

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I've seen heli shots of FIS downhills, so obviously it can be done (and it's really cool), but until DH has the audience that ski racing has, we'll have to leave it to our imagination.

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
i know this is nerdy. but hey this is ridemonkey. sam b was not wearing his usual leatt brace in his run and then put it on for the podium... pretty odd
which is a no-no says leatt (wearing it without the helmet to restrict the whiplash movement) haha weird.

RTG

Chimp
Apr 23, 2008
On ze peddles
i know this is nerdy. but hey this is ridemonkey. sam b was not wearing his usual leatt brace in his run and then put it on for the podium... pretty odd
I'm guessing this is because of the sponsors logo's and stuff that are pretty visible at the front top. Same as Gwin (I believe) was also pointing to on the hotseat. Same thing as to why they keep the brace/helmet on for longer after their run I reckon.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Couple of points.

1. I just got done watching Santa Cruz's video of the event on their site. I'm still puzzled by their use of copious amounts of duct tape on the front of the chain-stays... is it just for noise? Does it protect the stays from roost? does it help prevent chain suck? seems that there should be a better solution than duct tape?

2. after having seen the heli footage of the ski race, I would say its a waste of money. It adds little, other than seeing the speed at which the racer is moving. One well placed camera on a boom or other similar structure could probably do that just as well. What's missing from those far away shots is the amount of body english and effort the riders (and skiers) are putting in to muscle the bike around. That's what separates them from mere mortals, and that's what I want to see. Not some blurry little dot moving around on a ridge... ymmv though...

and finally, a little thread drift to say that I got done watching "Home" on youtube last night. Unreal. For all you fans of cinematography, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/homeproject (it's free to watch till June 14th)

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
2. after having seen the heli footage of the ski race, I would say its a waste of money. It adds little, other than seeing the speed at which the racer is moving. One well placed camera on a boom or other similar structure could probably do that just as well. What's missing from those far away shots is the amount of body english and effort the riders (and skiers) are putting in to muscle the bike around. That's what separates them from mere mortals, and that's what I want to see. Not some blurry little dot moving around on a ridge... ymmv though...
I tried finding some footage I have seen of Darren Rahlves at the Hahnenkamm. The chopper is flying lower and he is on a right-footed traverse trying to stick the high line. Getting bounced all over the speed is unreal. I think the heli can be good when it's mixed with the fixed cameras, but DH biking isn't really as alpine and the rider would be lost in the trees most of the time. I've only been to a few of the WC courses, but it seems to me that other than Ft Bill and MSA heli footage would be close to useless.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Couple of points.

1. I just got done watching Santa Cruz's video of the event on their site. I'm still puzzled by their use of copious amounts of duct tape on the front of the chain-stays... is it just for noise? Does it protect the stays from roost? does it help prevent chain suck? seems that there should be a better solution than duct tape?
If I remember correctly, the tape is just there to complete the 3 color scheme in that part of the bike. For whatever reason the silver didn't come out to Steve's expectations so he added a bit of british duck/t tape (whatever they call it over there) to give it the look he wanted. Anyone else remember that video clip or wherever that was from?

DIRT-HQ

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
Wales
If I remember correctly, the tape is just there to complete the 3 color scheme in that part of the bike. For whatever reason the silver didn't come out to Steve's expectations so he added a bit of british duck/t tape (whatever they call it over there) to give it the look he wanted. Anyone else remember that video clip or wherever that was from?
Could be this one I filmed at Pietermaritzburg. (I read the duct tape comments on here at the time so asked him about it!)

http://dirtmag.co.uk/worldcup/category/videos/dirttvsteve-peat-south-africa-pit-talk/dirt-1234894.html

lumpygravy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2008
Having looked at the points table Josh is one of the very few whom appears to have made a significant improvement on their WC standings compared to last year. 19 down to 13 (I think). The rest are pretty much the same, maybe moved 1 or 2 places up or down.

I couldn't think of a better breeding ground than riding with minaar and peat. Most guys that age aren't really bulked out yet strength wise, especially in the legs. I reckon something unfortunate and unlikely would have to happen for him not to be a regular podium contender over the next few seasons.

Re: helicopter. Couldn't you have a camera attached to a wire following the rider all the way down?

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Re: helicopter. Couldn't you have a camera attached to a wire following the rider all the way down?
You can do a lot of cool things if you have enough money. For the Grand Prix races at the Hockenheimring they have a camera that travels next to the cars on the main straight at 200 MPH. That's pretty cool.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
They had a helicopter camera for the DH Worlds in Livigno, Italy 4 or 5 years ago, and it was badass. I'm pretty sure it was shooting for a live feed to some sort of European sports network (Eurosport?), but they were also feeding live to this huge jumbotron at the finish line. As I recall, the chopper filmed the riders for the first :45 - 1:00 of their run, and then they switched to ground cameras for the bottom of the course. The heli cam was a really awesome perspective - the course was so wide open that it was conducive to being filmed from the air, and you got a great sense of the speed these guys were going. It was also cool being at the bottom and watching that chopper shuttling back and forth up the top half of the mountain.

Anyway, that was the year everyone thought Sam might win his first rainbow jersey, but he f'ed up one turn at the bottom and lost to Fabien by less than half a second. I remember standing next to Seplavy and feeling his pain. What a race!

--JP

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

lumpygravy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2008
You can do a lot of cool things if you have enough money. For the Grand Prix races at the Hockenheimring they have a camera that travels next to the cars on the main straight at 200 MPH. That's pretty cool.
The reason I mentioned it is that I would have thought a camera held on a wire with a loop with gravity pulling it down would be way cheaper than any helicopter.

I guess you have to think of a way to get it back to the top though :poster_oops: