Quantcast

fuck you weds gfmt....

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Dino. For some reason, I'm skeptical about buying high dollar battery operated tools, especially from smaller names like Stihl. Not because of their performance, but I'm more concerned about obsolescence and backwards compatibility of battery technology.
I used to be wary of new batteries but any reasonable brand seems to support their battery platforms long enough that I'll get my money's worth. Maintaining gas tools just annoys me now, only one I have left is my chainsaw and that's only because I haven't used it in a while.
have you guys heard much about Greenworks power tools? Any time I ask about electric power tools, their name comes up, but I don't know much about them, other than they tend to get positive reviews on-line: https://www.protoolreviews.com/manufacturer/greenworks/
but as we all know, good reviews can easily be bought...

I ask caus' my mom just moved back to Canada from Europe, on a 4 acre property, and needs to tool up... I figure now's a good time to start going electric, but don't really know much about quality of said tools...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
have you guys heard much about Greenworks power tools? Any time I ask about electric power tools, their name comes up, but I don't know much about them, other than they tend to get positive reviews on-line: https://www.protoolreviews.com/manufacturer/greenworks/

I ask caus' my mom just moved back to Canada from Europe, on a 4 acre property, and needs to tool up... I figure now's a good time to start going electric, but don't really know much about quality of said tools...
From what I've heard/read, they are decent homeowner stuff. Mature, comprehensive lineup and easily sourced.

Whether or not they'll be a good fit for her though depends on the composition of her property. We talking 4 acres, mostly grass? Overgrown sections she's trying to reclaim?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

I have a mower and trimmer from Greenworks. Both corded tools. They function fine. Can't speak to their battery stuff...

Nice part is how light they are. Kids have been able to mow since they were about 8.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
From what I've heard/read, they are decent homeowner stuff. Mature, comprehensive lineup and easily sourced.

Whether or not they'll be a good fit for her though depends on the composition of her property. We talking 4 acres, mostly grass? Overgrown sections she's trying to reclaim?
in talking with GFF and others, battery powered saws are fine for limbing and small trees, and the occasional medium sized tree (but will take a couple batteries).

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

overgrown stuff. there's an old municipal right of way that cuts across the property that hasn't been touched in over 30 years. She's fencing that in as space for her ponies... they'll do a lot of the maintenance work, but as I understand it, it needs to be properly cleared out first. also, moving hedges and trees, and she wants to maintain and improve the apple trees she has on the property...

in talking with GFF and others, battery powered saws are fine for limbing and small trees, and the occasional medium sized tree (but will take a couple batteries).
good to know. seems to fit the use case since she doesn't need to be mobile.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

Greenworks is kind of all over the map, they have some anemic suburban home owner level tools, and some legit pro level gear, all seem good if you buy the right one for what you're doing.

My brother lives in a fire zone and has to do brush clearance, he bought a 24v Greenworks string trimmer because it was cheap, thing wouldn't hack it so he tried my 18v Makita trimmer, it was better but still not great. He ended up going to E-go 56v and the thing rips! IMHO for serious yard work or brush clearing you need the higher voltage tools, and ability to run thicker string on the trimmer.

I sometimes sound like a Makita salesmen, but they're definitely worth looking at IMHO because of their dual battery 36v. You can get the power of the high voltage on big tools, but then use 1 of the batteries on the little handheld tools which makes them much lighter and easier to use.

Electric is the way to go for sure IMHO. Quiet, no storing gas, nearly zero maintenance, and your mom probably isn't going to be out there working all day every day and run into charge time issues anyway.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I like my Makita 36V brushless blower and string trimmer (now with replaceable plastic blades). All my stuff on the same battery system save for the 60V 25” two-blade Greenworks Pro mower, which works well.