Quantcast

Gear up the MASH reruns

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Wow, talk about ballsy. Guess Kim hasn't gotten enough attention from Obama.

The North Korean government stated that if South Korea joined the United States in an effort to search ships for nuclear weapons, it is declaring war. The North would attack the South if any of its ships were searched. It also said it was no longer tied to the 1953 truce that served as a shaky end to the three-year Korean War.
link

Seems to me we have more incentive to go to battle with North Korea, considering we do have proof of WMD there, they're ruled by a rotten dictator and we would like to spread some democracy that way.

So, what do we do with an overtasked military fighting 2 wars right now? More sanctions? They're already the most heavily sanctioned nation in the world.

Side with South Korea? Ignore a declaration of war?

Is this just a testing of Obama's resolve and intentions to North Korea?

Thoughts?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What do the Chinese think about all this , after all they do share a border. and they after all would not like the US getting so close, as has been proven in the past.
That would be nice if China might get involved diplomatically. Save us all a bunch of bloodshed...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I sure hope Im too old to get drafted.

Seriously, WTF are we still doing dicking around in Iraq and Assramistan? What good is having a powerful military if its consistently kept in a position where it's useless should an actual dyer situation arise?
And WTF do the Koreans actually want? A little bit of legitimacy? What are the implications of granting them some? Maybe actually talking to them instead of making threats would be a good place to start.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle

Seriously, WTF are we still doing dicking around in Iraq and Assramistan? What good is having a powerful military if its consistently kept in a position where it's useless should an actual dyer situation arise?
And WTF do the Koreans actually want? A little bit of legitimacy? What are the implications of granting them some? Maybe actually talking to them instead of making threats would be a good place to start.
Every single video out of that country is in black & white...that's how you know people are evil...when they're in black & white.

:biggrin:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

BS, the bleeding heart liberal. :panic:

I agree 100%, but I've been saying it for 6 years now. ANA is a must situation, but it got back burnered when W wanted to hit Iraq. Over the next year we will pull out of Iraq and hope to finish ANA.

The issue is the HUGE hole in our force numbers that may never recover. You should be past your 8 years, though. So I think you are ok.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
going into war time production would definitely bring us out of the recession.
(warning: digression)

I love this WWII thinking.

Worked then right?

We were still in kind of a hole then and the spending for the war helped boost the economy the argument goes.

What if there were no war? Couldn't the gubbamint just have done the exact same thing with the exact same results? Not like those planes got paid for once they carried out their mission. So here we have a bailout plan with massive gubbamint spending, and some of the same people who often make the WWII argument think this is different. Blows my mind.

Not directed at you so much.....uh...'pain' but being the embodiment of physical suffering yourself, I'm sure you can share my angst. It's not like there's anything special about war instruments per se. We could duplicate 'wartime spending' without punching lil' chubby cheeks Il.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

Worked then right?

We were still in kind of a hole then and the spending for the war helped boost the economy the argument goes.

What if there were no war? Couldn't the gubbamint just have done the exact same thing with the exact same results? Not like those planes got paid for once they carried out their mission. So here we have a bailout plan with massive gubbamint spending, and some of the same people who often make the WWII argument think this is different. Blows my mind.

Not directed at you so much.....uh...'pain' but being the embodiment of physical suffering yourself, I'm sure you can share my angst. It's not like there's anything special about war instruments per se. We could duplicate 'wartime spending' without punching lil' chubby cheeks Il.
You sure you're an American? You aren't aware that military spending doesn't count as spending? That's one of the rules, man. Everyone knows Jesus pays for it...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
If N. Korea is dismantled who will be the new spokes person for the LL Bean winter jacket.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
If N. Korea is dismantled who will be the new spokes person for the LL Bean winter jacket.

That reminds me of something really crappy I noticed recently.
Did you know LLBean has started manufacturing a bunch of their clothes in Asia now? WTF?
Nobody make anything in the US anymore. I had to special order US-made newbalances for like $40 more than what the normal ones cost.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Worked then right?

Building schools and giving people healthcare is for faggots and hippies. Real Americans stimulate the economy by killing people.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Did you know LLBean has started manufacturing a bunch of their clothes in Asia now? WTF?
Nobody make anything in the US anymore. I had to special order US-made newbalances for like $40 more than what the normal ones cost.

I wanted to buy a cast iron frying pan. They are either made in China or Italy. We definately can make a better pan than the Italians. Difference is US consumers want the cheapest, US corporations want the most profits. Doesn't work quite like that in Europe.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I wanted to buy a cast iron frying pan. They are either made in China or Italy. We definately can make a better pan than the Italians. Difference is US consumers want the cheapest, US corporations want the most profits. Doesn't work quite like that in Europe.
I have a Lodge Cast Iron skillet. I think I bought it at basspro, and they're made in the states. TN I think.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
New Balances? Do you teach Gym?

That is pretty disturbing that LL Bean doesn't make them in the US. Same return policy though?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
New Balances? Do you teach Gym?

That is pretty disturbing that LL Bean doesn't make them in the US. Same return policy though?
Fvck if I know, but who cares now? Might as well buy it at old navy for 1/5th the price.

As for the NBs, it's the only US made tennis shoe I know of, and you have to search for the US made ones.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
That's not true.

The US is the world leader in production of obese consumers. No other country can come close to us in number of ham armed, giant SUV driving, fast food scarfing sloth piles.

Amurika, fuk yeah we're number one ! Pass the gravy.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Fvck if I know, but who cares now? Might as well buy it at old navy for 1/5th the price.

As for the NBs, it's the only US made tennis shoe I know of, and you have to search for the US made ones.
My wife bought a book shelf from "The Christmas Tree Shop" and it was made in China of course. It's still off gassing 2 weeks later. The first week I told my wife we had to leave it outside is smelled so bad. F'ing China crap!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I have made a conscious effort to buy only US made products whenever possible, and it's had some interesting benefits. I find I actually buy less crap overall because it's such a pain in the ass and so expensive to get anything worthwhile.
I'll feel a lot better when we get rid of the POS Sentra in the driveway too.

Still, I cant always do it though. There are certain things you just cant find made here anymore, or if they are the costs are simply exhorbitant. A jacket is a perfect example of that.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I have made a conscious effort to buy only US made products whenever possible, and it's had some interesting benefits. I find I actually buy less crap overall because it's such a pain in the ass and so expensive to get anything worthwhile.
I'll feel a lot better when we get rid of the POS Sentra in the driveway too.

Still, I cant always do it though. There are certain things you just cant find made here anymore, or if they are the costs are simply exhorbitant. A jacket is a perfect example of that.
Until the US Automakers prove to me that they can make a small dependable economy car I'll still buy Toyota and Honda. Oh and they need to prove they can stay in business.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Until the US Automakers prove to me that they can make a small dependable economy car I'll still buy Toyota and Honda. Oh and they need to prove they can stay in business.
Ford Focus has been on par for a bit now, according to what I've read. Im sure someone will chime in with some allegedly contradictory evidence stating otherwise, but they are pretty nice little cars.

And besides, as a man you should be driving a Ranger anyway.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The only problem with the ford focus is they really grandma up the styling for the US market. European versions actually look pretty cool. Even honda offers watered down models in the US compared to ones available in Europe. Are americans that boring or is it just the old folk baby boomer influence that is watering down their market research?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ford Focus has been on par for a bit now, according to what I've read. Im sure someone will chime in with some allegedly contradictory evidence stating otherwise, but they are pretty nice little cars.

And besides, as a man you should be driving a Ranger anyway.
If I had the extra $ I would buy a ford truck. Some of the new small trucks put out by the US Automakers are pretty nice.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well thats good to hear, they are fugly though. You got a 4wd? What was this thread about?
I dont have a 4x4, but it's not really a need with my lifestyle although it would be nice to have I suppose. They say 4x4 will get you into trouble far more often than it will get you out, and I've had a couple jeeps so I know that to be true.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I like how the 09 Model looks almost identical to my 1994 truck. :rofl:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/ranger/gallery/photos/

Only they dont come in eggplant. If I ever need a new truck, I'll get another Ranger. I've never been so pleased with a vehicle.
Man up and get a used diesel. I get damn near the same mileage out of my F350 as I did with my Toyota and I can haul twice the crap. My '99 only has 130k on it and was $7200 (I got a great deal). GFF's truck is damn nice, but there's no way in hell I would spend $50k on it.

As far as being made here, I'm not sure it is. But I run B99 that is made 100% in Oregon, so I'm a patriot AND a hippie.