Quantcast

Gears for a DH bike

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I agree, downshifting while breaking in a corner is super fun. This is one of the reasons that I run Sram shifters (all shifting with the thumb), I just have not found a place on an 11-32 where I feel like I cannot find the 'right gear'....
Check out the new xtr shifter, i have been running one for a few weeks. You can push it sram style or index finger it like normal. It can also push 2 gears in either direction and has the adjustable location feature.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Check out the new xtr shifter, i have been running one for a few weeks. You can push it sram style or index finger it like normal. It can also push 2 gears in either direction and has the adjustable location feature.

They do look nice..and they are now offering normal rise again!!!

I would have never left shimano if not for the rapid rise mess..now I am heavily invested in sram..new 07 X9 shifters and mech on both bikes, plus older spares..who knows when these bite it...

The shimano mechs always seemed to stay tighter and more precise...but the X9s shift great and need less adjustments to work well (even though they are a little sloppy)..they also seem a little more tollerant to mud and gunk..I am sure it is just a side effect of the amount of cable movement.

I am kind of hoping that the next change for me will just be a gearbox....

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
They do look nice..and they are now offering normal rise again!!!

I would have never left shimano if not for the rapid rise mess..now I am heavily invested in sram..new 07 X9 shifters and mech on both bikes, plus older spares..who knows when these bite it...
I stuck with shimano as i had a stockpile of med cage normal rise m952's otherwise i probably would have gone sram as well, rapid rise sucks for DH. The new xtr shifter is better then the older xtr as well, its the best shifting i have ever felt on any bike.