Quantcast

Gears for a DH bike

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
11-23 rear 38/ 36 front (more ground clearance, gear ratios will be closer giving smoother shifting and aceleration)

jrfor0

Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
i use a 40 tooth ring with a 11-25 cassette. i live in the north east if that makes any difference.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
11-32 with a 38t in front. Road cassettes require too much shifting with the close ratios IMO. If you can learn to pedal efficiently in too high or low of a gear, you'll save time by not having to think about shifting as much as you do with a road cassette.

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
11-23 rear 38/ 36 front (more ground clearance, gear ratios will be closer giving smoother shifting and aceleration)
i run the same...
11-23 with a 36 is the best ratio so you are never between gears and get bogged down

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The absolute best for downhill is a single speed setup with a 46 T ring. Then there isn't much to break. All the top guys are doing it. :thumb: :think:

I have a 12-34 w/ a 34 T ring so it can still climb..but I need a 36 for races.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I run a 11-27 ultegra cassette with a 36 tooth ring up front.
I constantly top out though at Whiteface. I think I need a 40 tooth ring, but then I need a new chain guide as mine (medium) accommodates only up to 36 I think?
I bought the 36 because someone said the fastest racers use a 36.
But you certainly can't pedal when your going 40 mph.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
11-32 with a 38t in front. Road cassettes require too much shifting with the close ratios IMO. If you can learn to pedal efficiently in too high or low of a gear, you'll save time by not having to think about shifting as much as you do with a road cassette.
and shifting just becomes natural once you learn how to do it properly. are you saying that having the wrong gear for a situation can be just as fast as having the correct one?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
and shifting just becomes natural once you learn how to do it properly. are you saying that having the wrong gear for a situation can be just as fast as having the correct one?
I'm saying I don't have time in races to click through a whole bunch of close gears on a road cassette. I'm in a hurry, and want just a couple of shifts to get to a gear that's close enough to what I need. The less shifts I make, the more concentrated I can remain on pedaling and riding. I might try a road cassette again some time, but for now the MTB ones are nice and widely spaced. I ride a lot on my DH bikes, and don't mind pushing a little higher than normal gear for a short ways. I've found it faster to push a little harder than to let off the gas and try to get into exactly the perfect gear. Usually it works.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
to each their own. i just find that shifting becomes second nature after a while
I have just changed from an 11-34 to a 12-27 and i have to agree with bikenweed, i have been finding that i have to push 2 gears where i used to push only 1, i am finding the ratios too close and im having to shift more often.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have just changed from an 11-34 to a 12-27 and i have to agree with bikenweed, i have been finding that i have to push 2 gears where i used to push only 1, i am finding the ratios too close and im having to shift more often.
Agree as well.
Now I can see why some one on a DH race specific bike might not need the easy gears (big cogs), the pedaling that you do on a DH bike is very different than on a road bike. The majority of pedaling on a Dh bike is done in short burst over undulating terain, while standing...constantly changing velocity.
Road cycling is VERY different. Long stints in the saddle on the exact same slope. The fine ratios on a road cassette are there for just these very long continious/monotinious uphill slogs at a very steady speed. Something rarely encountered on a DH bike. An increase in slope on a DH track can usually be overcome with a simple stand-up burst. When facing a mile or 5 or more of constant uphill tarmac, a stand up burst is not an option, it will get you no closer to the top of the hill, but can dramatically sap your strength to continue. The key is to find the exact ratio that allows speed BUT also allows you to continue the same output for HOURS. This does not happen on a DH course.

For a pure race bike, I think the best bet is fewer gears (5 or 6) over a reasonable spread.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
For a pure race bike, I think the best bet is fewer gears (5 or 6) over a reasonable spread.
That is what i was thinking of doing. I find the spread of gears perfect but the jumps too fine, i thinking i might grind the 3 largest cogs off an 11-34 xt cluster and use that.

My question is, can the limit screw move the der over that far?

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
38t-12-27 cass. Works for most all courses. I like the close-ish gear ratios when I'm racing. For me, shifting is extremely important in a race. I think it's super cool coming into a corner sprinitng in the smaller cogs then breaking/pedaling/shifting before the apex so you can have a perfect gear to spring/sprint out of that corner.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I feel vindicated. I tried the roadie cassette thang and was shifting too much. Whats the point of closely spaced gears if you skip 3-4 gears to get to the combo you need?

I use a 11-32 cassette with a 38 up front.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
That is what i was thinking of doing. I find the spread of gears perfect but the jumps too fine, i thinking i might grind the 3 largest cogs off an 11-34 xt cluster and use that.

My question is, can the limit screw move the der over that far?
I can't lock out that many gears. I run a 11 - 32 with the 32 locked out, and that works for me. I think a you would have to set the stop via cable tension (not a great option). What der are guys running with the profile 6 speed hub?? BCD runs some 5 speed set up as well...but I cannot remember the specifics.

I agree, downshifting while breaking in a corner is super fun. This is one of the reasons that I run Sram shifters (all shifting with the thumb), I just have not found a place on an 11-32 where I feel like I cannot find the 'right gear'....

definately think that the use of the bike (race only or DH freeriding) and terrain makes a difference in the gears needed.

Keep in mind that the smaller the front ring, the smaller the jumps will be between rear cogs

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
I find that my favorite combo is a 7 speed 11-23 cassette with a 36t ring. I ran it all last summer. 9 speeds is just excessive for me so 7 seemed the way to go. The 36t chainring provides for a lot of ground clearance on bikes with low BB's.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
to each their own. i just find that shifting becomes second nature after a while
exactly, im gonna try to run an ultegra 11-23 with a 34 up front this season. it seems that you can either run a big cassette and a big ring, or a small road cassette and a smaller chainring, saving more weight, better ground clearance, and close to the same ratios

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
I feel vindicated. I tried the roadie cassette thang and was shifting too much. Whats the point of closely spaced gears if you skip 3-4 gears to get to the combo you need?

I use a 11-32 cassette with a 38 up front.
shifting with a roadie is a lot easier than shifting a big ass mtb cassette

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Everyone has their own preferences. Take into account that some people are beasts and will spin at a low cadence in a hard gear. Others will stay in a somewhat easy gear and pedal as much as humanly possible without succumbing to cardiac arrest. It's whatever floats your boat.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
11-30 8spd Xt level cassette (spider but no ti), 8spd chain, 38 up front, Sram Attack Trigger, and an Ultegra short cage rear mech is my dream drivetrain.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Look at a gear inch chart and you'll start to see that some of the big differences aren't that really that big at all...running a smaller chainring (34 vs 36) and smaller road block cassette (11-23T vs 12-26T) can actually give you more range, shorter chain, more clearance, and weighs less...

34T w/ 11-23T = 80/38
w/ 12-26T = 74/34
w/ 11-32T = 80/28
w/ 11-34T = 80/26

36T w/ 11-23T = 85/41
w/ 12-26T = 78/36
w/ 11-32T = 85/29
w/ 11-34T = 85/28

38T w/ 11-23T = 90/43
w/ 12-26T = 82/38
w/ 11-32T = 90/31
w/ 11-34T = 90/29

40T w/ 11-23T = 95/45
w/ 12-26T = 87/40
w/ 11-32T = 95/33
w/ 11-34 = 95/31

-ska todd

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
I can't lock out that many gears. I run a 11 - 32 with the 32 locked out, and that works for me. I think a you would have to set the stop via cable tension (not a great option). What der are guys running with the profile 6 speed hub?? BCD runs some 5 speed set up as well...but I cannot remember the specifics.

I agree, downshifting while breaking in a corner is super fun. This is one of the reasons that I run Sram shifters (all shifting with the thumb), I just have not found a place on an 11-32 where I feel like I cannot find the 'right gear'....

definately think that the use of the bike (race only or DH freeriding) and terrain makes a difference in the gears needed.

Keep in mind that the smaller the front ring, the smaller the jumps will be between rear cogs
Take the L screw out of any derrailleur and put in a longer one :)

A mate of mine runs a 11-34 cassette with the top 3 cogs taken off and replaced with spacers, giving the same range of gears as a roadie cluster and a decent step between each cog.

My new bike came with a roadie cluster and after the first race I couldn't stand it, I would get onto a ski road and have to pedal, so I'd shift up, find it was still too easy...shift again....still not right...shift again...ahh **** it I'll coast

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
... it seems that you can either run a big cassette and a big ring, or a small road cassette and a smaller chainring, saving more weight, better ground clearance, and close to the same ratios

Yes and no..if you go down to a 34 in front from a 38, you only heed to pick up an 11 in back to make up the difference. Does not matter if it is an 11-23 or an 11-32...it is the 11 that will give you back your gear inches.

just need to figure how low you need to go as well..that will determine the large cog. This is the part that I think changes with a 'race only' machine versus a local use DH bike.

I do agree that a lot of folks who are running a 40 with a 12-26/7 would be better off with a 36 and a 11 - anything. Dropping the ring size will close the gaps in the back. So you could run a MTB cassettte with an 11 and the jumps between gears will not feel as big due to the smaller ring in front....(see ska todd's chart above)

pretty simple to do the math to figure gear inches or just ratios..also becomes obvious how rediculous a 3 ring set up is when you see all the repeat ratios...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Take the L screw out of any derrailleur and put in a longer one :)
On my X9 the screw is attached to the parallellogram in such a way, that when the screw is far out, it is at an angle to the perch/stop. If the screw was much longer, it would angle so much as to fall offf the perch, and not work. Maybe if you turned the screw around so the larger diameter head would contact the perch...
for now, 11-28 works for me!!! and hwlps protect the back wheel.