Monkey
Apr 22, 2011
Snowshoe Resort is proud to host
Gravity East Series Race # 1

Snowshoe Bike Park

June 4th & 5th

All USA Cycling & Gravity East Rules apply
Please visit http://wwww.gravityeastseries.com for all info on Race #1

Looking forward to seeing all the Gravity East racers again!

Just another reminder last call to all!!

Below is all the info on the Snowshoe Resort RACE #1 of our Nine race series!

Register Now!

Online Registration Closes 6/2/2011

Registration, Race Info & Lodging

Race Entry, Pro Men & Women $ 80.00, Category 1,2, 3 $ 75.00 Includes Lift Tickets for Both Saturday and Sunday and access to all the great trails Snowshoe

Schedule

Saturday 06/04

On-Site Registration 9am - 4pm

Course Practice 9am - 4:30pm

Sunday 06/05

On-Site Registration 8am - 10:30am

Course Practice 9am - 10am

Race Start 11:30am

Awards to follow Official Results TBD

$1000.00 Pro Purse

Nema Contingency Program available to earn cash.

Product Prizes for all Amateur Classes provided by: Maxxis Tires, GES Presenting Sponsor Formula Brakes, also these great supporting Sponsors - 661, e13, NEMA, Fox Racing.

All Timing, Results and Standings by "All Sports Events"

Lodging Info

Located 6 miles and a 15 minute drive from the top of the mountain; the mountain base offers the preferred lodging for the GES event, The Inn at Snowshoe,

$ 36.00 per person* Including Breakfast!
Call 877-441-4386 and mention the Gravity East Series to receive this special lodging rate. (*Based on double occupancy, Tax not included.)

Camping is not available at Snowshoe Resort however there are campgrounds near the base.

For more information about Snowshoe Resort and Gravity East Series Race #1 please visit our website: www.gravityeastseries.com

Register Now!​

dhtutor

Chimp
Apr 9, 2011
Is anyone from Johnson city or Boone going that I could catch a ride with and help Pay for gas

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
what about if you have a season pass already?? Do I still have to pay the full $75 even though I am not going to get a lift ticket? I'm a little pissed that the season pass is not paying itself off with this race...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Saw the preview in the Downhill forum of the track.

Eh. Least step course on the mountain, only one step down and has the awful flat section across Shay's and then back into the hip jump. Its a fun course but not as good as it could be. Why not impress the GES and non-Snowshoe'ers with Hareball or Quickdraw? Oh well it is what it is. Its still a fun course and super fast at times.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina

Eh. Least step course on the mountain, only one step down and has the awful flat section across Shay's and then back into the hip jump. Its a fun course but not as good as it could be. Why not impress the GES and non-Snowshoe'ers with Hareball or Quickdraw? Oh well it is what it is. Its still a fun course and super fast at times.
I was pretty stoked on the top route, then after the ditch jump I was saying to myself it better go right to the wild zone instead of left, but no. Still a fun route though. Since its supposed to be dry, hareball would be so awesome to race combined with the top stuff.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
At least its not going down Ninja Bob. Ugh. Speaking of, how did you not beat me on Ninja Bob? I figured you would just float through all that super fast and I am the world's worst berm rider. Maybe its because those are terrible berms?????

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
At least its not going down Ninja Bob. Ugh. Speaking of, how did you not beat me on Ninja Bob? I figured you would just float through all that super fast and I am the world's worst berm rider. Maybe its because those are terrible berms?????
What berms? ;)

Probably because I was crashing my way down quickdraw, as always. hahaha

woolin

Chimp
Dec 12, 2007
4 of us are leaving Louisville around 2 this afternoon to head up there. It should be a good time.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I believe you guys can view these... some photos on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1741880426779.2087829.1231767445

I have more, need to go through them and figure out a better place for viewing. There will also be some more on the Team RM East Facebook page.

I liked the course, had a mix of everything... not to gnarly and not to easy. I didn't race. <5 min course for the fast folks, means 8 min for me and my endurance aint there yet.

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
Yeah you don't have to pay for a lift ticket, its much cheaper if you have a season pass already.
^^ This is why a few of us didn't race. Gravity East said Snowshoe wasn't allowing a discount, Snowshoe officials pointed the finger back at GE. I was, however, reassured that the extra redundant cost was justified because the GE races are "worth more" than SS's.

We aren't made of money, and just shelled out ~600$ for two season passes. Trying to force season pass holders to pay the full registration price that included a two-day pass is absurd.

I don't know who is to blame for the greed, but I tend to believe the multiple reliable sources I spoke to at SS over the one from GE.

Boycott continued.

Last edited:

MasterofGroms

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
^^ This is why a few of us didn't race. Gravity East said Snowshoe wasn't allowing a discount, Snowshoe officials pointed the finger back at GE. I was, however, reassured that the extra redundant cost was justified because the GE races are "worth more" than SS's.

We aren't made of money, and just shelled out ~600$ for two season passes. Trying to force season pass holders to pay the full registration price that included a two-day pass is absurd.

I don't know who is to blame for the greed, but I tend to believe the multiple reliable sources I spoke to at SS over the one from GE.

Boycott continued.
Not sure what happened here, but it makes sense to me that the promoter gets the "race fees" and the mountain gets the "lift fees".

Maybe we can work this out now so that this is clear for all involved at future events.

How about someone from GES or Snow Shoe chiming in here??

What's the deal?:confused:

Gravity East

Monkey
Apr 22, 2011
Not sure what happened here, but it makes sense to me that the promoter gets the "race fees" and the mountain gets the "lift fees".

Maybe we can work this out now so that this is clear for all involved at future events.

How about someone from GES or Snow Shoe chiming in here??

What's the deal?:confused:
Snowshoe Manager did not want to offer Season Pass Holder discount just as you pointed out that the GES gets a portion of the entry fee, and SS got the lift fees, FYI GES got the lesser of the fees, not sure whom you talked to at SS but Mountain Events Manager which I cannot name without permission is the one who did not want to offer a discount. NOT a GES diecision we can only throw down a great event.

woolin

Chimp
Dec 12, 2007
I rode the lift up with the events manager at the end of the day and she said it was her first week on the job so she might not have fully understood the importance of the discount.

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
I rode the lift up with the events manager at the end of the day and she said it was her first week on the job so she might not have fully understood the importance of the discount.
The Events Manager I personally worked with was a Man his name is Michael Baker, I got permission to post his name. "Gravity East" was not able to as he did not have permission.

Michael is the one I signed the contract with I can tell he was the one in charge. There is a Marketing women I met, that may be whom you were talking about I tried to get the website to be more clear on the discount, and was told they lost the web designer and still had no one to update the site.....Have my own opinion on that.

I know for those who entered got a well run Race Sanctioned by USA Cycling which is important for those who want to race nationals or be ranked and move forward in the sport of Gravity Racing and we had many riders purchasing there license this past weekend.

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
In my opinion Snowshoe has run great race series over the years despite Michael Baker.
Nothing against Michael at all, it was just his decision on discounts, we can only do what the host venues requires and I think the Powerade Series ROCKS!!! Great courses and great staff and facilities.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
That's my point, some decisions are made that just don't make sense to me as a racer. Last year the overall series standings got nothing outside of first place. They didn't even allow 2-3 stand on the podium for pictures. Outside of the individual not getting any recognition for a series worth of effort, not allowing podium pictures for sponsors is just weak. Add to that no discounts for season pass holders. These things happen under his watch and as I said despite these things Snowshoe's race series have been incredible since the first one back in 2006.

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
That's my point, some decisions are made that just don't make sense to me as a racer. Last year the overall series standings got nothing outside of first place. They didn't even allow 2-3 stand on the podium for pictures. Outside of the individual not getting any recognition for a series worth of effort, not allowing podium pictures for sponsors is just weak. Add to that no discounts for season pass holders. These things happen under his watch and as I said despite these things Snowshoe's race series have been incredible since the first one back in 2006.
Again I am not trying to point fingers or throw anyone under the bus, however the issues were a shock due to lack of info given to us and we discussed what I thought should have happened after the race Sunday.

So many racers asked questions to me, having our first event at SS for the GES it would have been a good thing for the venue to do what they normally do, like where were the lunch vouchers I heard about?? And the outdoor Grill at the base? Why were we not doing registration in Shavers center, so it could have been more organized and simpler. He assured me if we come back to SS he would make many changes I suggested.

I hope that to be the case as a racer, Promoter, I was not happy or even made aware of these issues because I had never been to SS since the last Norba event. And I was not told these things, I heard from Racers who attended our other southern events who race at SS and I heard nothing but great things so when Michael called I was thrilled to bring the GES and a Sanctioned event to SS.

No podium at the Powerade Series??? Really???? I thought I saw pics at one time. Anyhow I hope to return as it was a good race, no timing issues (SS staff asked for contact info on the timing company we use, SS staff were very impressed) because we all know this is most important that times are accurate and timely for an event to go as well as the GES event did go even with the issues discussed here.

I hope this does not sour riders with our series and I made that clear to SS and that it was in the best interest of the Race, Promoter and SS to be sure this is all worked out for 2012.

Thank You all for the input. Hope to see you at Wisp in two weeks

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
Snowshoe Manager did not want to offer Season Pass Holder discount just as you pointed out that the GES gets a portion of the entry fee, and SS got the lift fees, FYI GES got the lesser of the fees, not sure whom you talked to at SS but Mountain Events Manager which I cannot name without permission is the one who did not want to offer a discount. NOT a GES diecision we can only throw down a great event.
I didn't speak to Baker directly, but to other race directing staff. Won't name names. I love the powerade series, and can't thank the trailstaff enough for their continued advancement of the program. A small group battled management for years to make the program what it is today.

If I wrongfully accused GES, I apologize...but it wouldn't be the first time I've been lied to by them. I thought snowshoe was over their counter-intuitive policy making, but who knows. Nevertheless, water under the bridge and something to think about for next time. If this had been worked out by both parties before hand, ridership would have increased. Some dollars is better than no dollars.

Last edited:
May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
I didn't speak to Baker directly, but to other race directing staff. Won't name names. I love the powerade series, and can't thank the trailstaff enough for their continued advancement of the program. A small group battled management for years to make the program what it is today.

If I wrongfully accused GES, I apologize...but it wouldn't be the first time I've been lied to by them. I thought snowshoe was over their counter-intuitive policy making. Nevertheless, water under the bridge and something to think about for next time. If this had been worked out by both parties before hand, ridership would have increased. Some dollars is better than no dollars.
Thank You and I agree we ask many questions prior to getting to the event, and although I was not made aware of the season pass deal, mainly because I was not aware a discount was given, I was told racers paid for lift passes and then on top of that a 34.00 race fee, and that we were actually cheaper in cost in comparison. Like you said water under the bridge lets just RACE!!!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
No podium at the Powerade Series??? Really????
They do for the individual races but the overall series announcement seemed like an after thought. For what is touted as a SERIES, the overall recognition was a joke. No podium pics, in fact when they called names out they actually said for only first place to come up.

I guess Ricky Bobby was right, if you ain't first, you're last.

bubbles

Chimp
Jun 8, 2011

Gravity East said they wanted an easier course than Snowshoe usually races... just an FYI wasnt Snowshoe's decision :-(

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
Gravity East said they wanted an easier course than Snowshoe usually races... just an FYI wasnt Snowshoe's decision :-(
No offense here but the GES never made any recommendations to Michael, we did not know anything about the track accept that is was new until the video came out just two days before I left for WV........We never asked for easier, just a good track and was told we will build a killer course for the GES. Parking lot chatter??? Or what? Either way I think it was a great event:thumb: