Quantcast

Gettin into FR... What kinda bike?

mroneeyedboh

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
ive always wanted to jump into freeride and ive been looking and searchin the forums to try and see whats a good beginner bike for me. im lookin into banshees or iron horses. But still not sure as far as should i go all out? or get something cheap for now and upgrade? Thanks also any recommendations are appreciated. :twitch:

klutch

Monkey
Jan 25, 2007
dirty jersey
Banshee's are great but not beginner and Ironhorse assuming it's the sunday is more downhill and also not beginner.If your really thinking beginner specifically price wise try a Kona stinky you can find them for around $1500 new or if you really want the Ironhorse try the 7point3,5,7 excellent bikes and about the same price. I ride a Giant faith2 which is a little heavy (44 lbs) but I love it. Just find one that has the parts on it that you want ie. fork,crank,brakes... good luck.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
Get a Mongoose black diamond triple off of, egay. You can get them dirt cheap, with hella nice components, and they love to be hucked. I have a BD frame I built up, and I love it. I would recommend it to anyone.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
The most important thing to remember is this: get something you can upgrade the components.

Everyone will have an opinion, but what it boils down to is personal preference. Check the boards, do searches on the boards by brand, read reviews and check out the manufacturers web site.

Do this for a little bit and then you'll get a better handle on what would be a good beginner bike.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
don't buy until you ride. sit on it and see how it feels before you pull out the $$$.

consider the transition products. if your trails are a bit more on the XC side, go preston. if you are thinking you have the brass to go bigger, check the dirtbag.

kona's are good too. you can save a grip buy finding last year's model on sale. EVERY year kona bikes go on deep discount when the new model year comes out. check wheelworld.com as they frequently have stupid cheap prices on kona's.

iron horse stuff also does the big discounts to unload the older model years. i never know how they do it, but IH frequently bolts some amazing parts on frames for dirt cheap. the quality is nice too.

things to consider when buying a frame or a bike:
1 - will the frame take a bigger/smaller fork if i decide i don't like the one it comes with?
2 - what size rear hub does the frame take? this will impact your choices when changing wheelsets. 10/135 is the most common rear size. 12/135 is starting to show up 12/150 is also becoming more popular.
3 - much like hub size, what BB size does the frame use? again, this will impact crank upgrades in the future.
4 - head tube size is yet another issue. if you want to change forks, a 1.5 HT can always be reduced down to a 1.125, but you can't go the other way.
5 - travel - how much does it have? how much do you want? 6" is good for most. 7" can be a bit much to pedal but will make things better on the DH.
6 - weight - depending on your body weight and riding style you may want to consider a lighter/heavier frame.

there is more to consider, but i gotta get back to work :bonk:

eball

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
I would have to agree with MANDOWN

Check out Transitions bikes. The Bottle-Rocket, Dirt-Bag & The Preston are great F.R. choices depending on what kind of riding you wanna do.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Another vote for Kona or Transition.

Like mandown sez, I bought my 04 Stinky in 05, saved a lot, and spent 2 years upgrading it.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
look at rscycle.com, they have a lot of iron horse stuff for dirt cheap. the 7point3 is on the site for under $1500, i think it was more like $1300, but I don't remember exactly. a good way to do it is find a good deal, and then go to a local shop that carries that brand and see if you can test ride it. later, go order the bike for cheap online assuming it felt ok. keep in mind, if you have never ridden a freeride bike before, they have a very upright sitting position and the top tube tends to be shorter than an XC bike, so don't go in there looking for something that fits like what you have known in the past (assuming you have an XC bike). it should be very comfortable to site on and manageable to pedal. for now, don't get anything over 7 inches of travel because if you are unsure what degree of riding you will get into, you don't want to be stuck with a monster of a bike that you may have to pedal up hill only to hit trails that aren't suited for a beast of a bike. not to mention, over 7 inches of travel is usually unnecessary for most people.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
ive always wanted to jump into freeride and ive been looking and searchin the forums to try and see whats a good beginner bike for me. im lookin into banshees or iron horses. But still not sure as far as should i go all out? or get something cheap for now and upgrade? Thanks also any recommendations are appreciated. :twitch:
Check out the Trek Session 7. I absolutely love mine, and there is plenty of room for upgrading. I got my 06' early this year for dirt cheap.

mroneeyedboh

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
damn thanks for all of the replies. but i think i may want to go used... i see alota ( or what seems to be good ) good deals on the classifieds on here. but again thanks for the help, it'll be useful come time to buy.

mroneeyedboh

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
oh and also, i was into bmx street and dirt since i was about 6 until i was 18 and then i stopped for a year and now im into mtn bikes. so i seen freeride and thats what got me into it. but i bought a hardtail ( jamis komodo ) bc i was told the geometry was close to my bmx mike ( not geometry but the makeup of it ) so the transition from bmx to a 26" bike wouldnt be so harsh for me. so im riding that currently. and i beat the **** out of it, so thats why im looking to get into a FS bike, so what im gettin at is what bike is close to the same geometry as that. thanks

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
hit up some local shops and test out what they have... just see what you like and talk to the people who freeride in your area, find out how big of a bike you'll need.

aside from that go for an specialized sx trail or an iron horse 6 point

mroneeyedboh

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
truthfully, there isnt really any freeride bike dealers around me. im in Md and the closest place that has freeride parks is showshoe, and diablo. which i dont mind riding two hrs for a weekend of riding. not all good things are easy to get to. but my local state park is bulding a freeride park with in its area in the next year or so.

xdbpxd

Chimp
Apr 19, 2005
chico
Nothing wrong with a Banshee. They are great bikes and will serve you well. The company is also is great as far as customer service goes. And you cant beat the 10yr warranty. I have been riding a chaparral for the past 3 years. The chap is a great bike to start on casue u can build it up many different ways. The frame feels awesome and will build your confidence really fast. I just bought a Banshee Scream and it should b here tomorrow. Im selling my chap, if you are interested in my Chap frame let me know. But i highly recommend going banshee ... u will not b sorry

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
truthfully, there isnt really any freeride bike dealers around me. im in Md and the closest place that has freeride parks is showshoe, and diablo. which i dont mind riding two hrs for a weekend of riding. not all good things are easy to get to. but my local state park is bulding a freeride park with in its area in the next year or so.
Race Pace in Ellicott City has Kona Stinky's as well as Trek session 7s and session 77s. Give them a call and ask for Paul. Paul is the resident freeride/downhill guru.

Beef Cake

Chimp
Apr 22, 2007
Sand box FL.
Big hits are nice . They got some travel and are tuff enough to take some noobies oopses . Their in the middle range of fr prices .
Just a thought !
CHEERS

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
oh and also, i was into bmx street and dirt since i was about 6 until i was 18 and then i stopped for a year and now im into mtn bikes. so i seen freeride and thats what got me into it. but i bought a hardtail ( jamis komodo ) bc i was told the geometry was close to my bmx mike ( not geometry but the makeup of it ) so the transition from bmx to a 26" bike wouldnt be so harsh for me. so im riding that currently. and i beat the **** out of it, so thats why im looking to get into a FS bike, so what im gettin at is what bike is close to the same geometry as that. thanks
An FS bike will feel different, but I hear the BottleRocket is a 5" that rides like a HT and everybody that ridden it loves it.

What you have to do is test ride, just grab every guy you see on the street and start talking to him for a few minutes and ask if you can test ride his bike..

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
i don't know where in MD you live but Germantown cycles is also a good shop for freeride bikes. and you should check the VA forum there are closer places to freeride then diablo or snowshoe.

SLOPE

Monkey
Aug 24, 2001
Arnold, Maryland
Wisp is closer than Diablo and Snowshow but I haven't ridden there yet so don't know what it's like.

Beer sounds good right about now. Loooonnnggg Father's Day

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Wisp is closer than Diablo and Snowshow but I haven't ridden there yet so don't know what it's like.

Beer sounds good right about now. Loooonnnggg Father's Day
I've ridden both (on my Imperial) within the last month and I would say Diablo is probably 10x better right now. SnowShoe recently laid off their head trail builder so a good bit of the trails seemed like they hadn't been groomed in years. You will also get at least double the runs in at Diablo as you will at SS. The drive to Diablo is much easier from MD as well. Took me 3 hours exactly for Diablo from Bel Air and over 4.5 hours yesterday, and that was from Great Falls, VA which is an hour from my house.

Bottom line, go to Diablo.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio

I don't have much in it at all. Especially since it has 7.5 in the rear, and 8" in the front. It rides great. Been jumping the hell out of it.

mroneeyedboh

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
another thing i was thinking, i dont really have to go FS, since i LOVe hardtails. i dont know if im really going to be ready for a Fs yet.. or do i even need a FS yet... thats what ive been thinking. i was thinkgin about just gettin another frame and fork and build a bike up. and just use my parts off the komodo and trandfer them to the new frame and all. but i think im going to go with a 1.5 headtube. bc like its been said u can go down but not up...