Quantcast

Getting Jealous of the Diablo updates... Anything from snowshoe yet?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
dang diablo already open? LUCKY!

I'm sure the fellas at the shoe will have stuff up soon enough.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah diablo has stepped it up to another level this season...they are the place to be from what i see.

The lifts begin running saturday...check out the diablo forum for visual stimulation of the steez

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
pretty fun lookin stuff, too bad it's so far away.....

depending on what that sub box thingy is covered with, grip/sand paint or whatever, I bet that bad boy will be slippery when muddy/wet....

I really dig the lightly curved metal/ladder thingamabobber....

I did hear word that the guys at snowshoe did have some help this year and full use of a machine, but that could just be rumor. I heard it through the grapevine, so take it with a grain of salt. I'll have to keep my hopes up, they are the closest resort by a long shot. Diablo is just too far, maybe a trip but that's about it.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yep snowshoe will always be fun...but any mountain needs to build excitement about itself...

they both rock but anyone with half a brain will see that diablo has really stepped it up. Hopefully snowshoe will follow with new trails/terrain.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
I got a brochure in the mail yesterday from the Snoeshoe Mountain Bike park. In the "What's New" section, it talked about the new machine groomed trail and powerline updates from last year, but didn't mention any specific 2008 updates.

Now I have a decision to make. I'm not going to the Open. So Wisp or SS on Memorial day weekend?? I may not decide until the last minute.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
so i haven't been on the site for a while, and i see you are still talking crap about snowshoe, dude, why don't you stay up at diablo ALL summer.
i think it's pretty reasonable to ask for some updates. how much effort does it take to update a website with some pictures and/or info about trail work if it's being done?

personally, i live ~3.5 hours from snowshoe and ~4.5 hours from diablo and most of my $$ will be going to the resort that has responded to the customer needs, expanded their trail network, and offers reliably fast lift service.

diablo has spent the last couple of years expanding their trail network and publishing updates. snowshoe has mostly had the same trail network for the last couple of years and hasn't expanded much and is only now offering to run the western lift on weekends this year (a request that has been made numerous times by riders who weren't happy with the bus shuttle).

i plan to make a trip or two to snowshoe this year to support the mountain, but from a marketing and trail development standpoint, in my opinion i think they have done a poor job. i'm not blaming the bike park staff that works there for their lack of response because i'm sure it's mostly due to the lack of investment/time from the resort. it's very sad because there is some serious potential down in that beautiful part of WVa. for those of you that are local to snowshoe, i hope you continue to support the mountain.

i hope that snowshoe can somehow refocus it's bike park investments for the riders and properly promote it when the time comes... many of us are still waiting...

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
i think it's pretty reasonable to ask for some updates. how much effort does it take to update a website with some pictures and/or info about trail work if it's being done?

personally, i live ~3.5 hours from snowshoe and ~4.5 hours from diablo and most of my $$ will be going to the resort that has responded to the customer needs, expanded their trail network, and offers reliably fast lift service.

diablo has spent the last couple of years expanding their trail network and publishing updates. snowshoe has mostly had the same trail network for the last couple of years and hasn't expanded much and is only now offering to run the western lift on weekends this year (a request that has been made numerous times by riders who weren't happy with the bus shuttle).

i plan to make a trip or two to snowshoe this year to support the mountain, but from a marketing and trail development standpoint, in my opinion i think they have done a poor job. i'm not blaming the bike park staff that works there for their lack of response because i'm sure it's mostly due to the lack of investment/time from the resort. it's very sad because there is some serious potential down in that beautiful part of WVa. for those of you that are local to snowshoe, i hope you continue to support the mountain.

i hope that snowshoe can somehow refocus it's bike park investments for the riders and properly promote it when the time comes... many of us are still waiting...
Ah, good to see the hate continues and keeps growing year after year...........

stoneysnake

Monkey
May 24, 2002
easy living, wv
we don't really worry about what other places are doing. we will continue to raise the bar, set trends and build big mountain style trails and race courses. if you want to leave the city and go to the city that's great. if you want to escape and come to a true big mountain getaway we and our trails would love to accomodate you!

come ride with us. 2 high speed quads running this season and as always one of the best race series and trend setting big mountain style race courses for your riding enjoyment. new trails coming. no hype just real mountain bike riding!

stay tuned to www.ride.snowshoemtn.com.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA

I think that post isn't filled with too much hate, I think it's pretty well written and thought out. I think Snowshoe management could/should definitely listen to this. I think the management staff does a poor job of helping the trail crew showcase the work that they have put fourth on the trails and they should help the trail crew more by giving them some more money/time to put more staff out on the hill to better/further improve this trail system and expand.

With the price of gas added into the costs incurred during a weekend traveling to snowshoe, from the lift tickets, to food and lodging, it's gonna be a harder sale, so they (management/marketing) should really step it up to get the excitement going for this mountain. I agree this is a great place for Mountain Biking, but hype isn't a bad thing when selling a product.

I also definitely agree, f*ck going to a City to Mountain Bike that's just a oxymoron all together, I want to be in the woods!

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
I think that post isn't filled with too much hate, I think it's pretty well written and thought out. I think Snowshoe management could/should definitely listen to this. I think the management staff does a poor job of helping the trail crew showcase the work that they have put fourth on the trails and they should help the trail crew more by giving them some more money/time to put more staff out on the hill to better/further improve this trail system and expand.
Oh, not saying Snowshoe Marketing couldn't do a better job showcasing what Brad, Trevyn, & the trail crew have built and maintained....or have planned......BUT........what I am saying is that every year, right around opening season, some people come on here and start getting negative about Snowshoe and what's going on up there (or lack of).

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Hulk, no doubt, I agree 100%, every year.

I don't mind hopping in to help out my buddies anytime the negative comments fly. There is one poster who continually did it, I haven't seen or heard from him/her yet this year. It's not Whale...

but I do agree with you and it does get old....

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I just want to ride. As long as there are trails there, and the crew does a great job, as they do, I will ride there.

Of course the lift running makes it Übber awesome nar nar tits to the max......:thumb: :thumb:

:D

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Übber awesome doesnt even come close to how nice its going to be having the lifts running.

Now lets hope we can afford to drive our trucks there to enjoy it.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
Any time you are selling a service or a product, your focus should be on 2 things: Quality & Marketing.

Build something nice and let people know about it. I think Whale is spot-on with his assessment of Snowshoe. The trail crew could have been out there slaving away for months on new trails and maintaining new ones. They could have installed a rocket-powered gondola ... But no one is marketing this. No one's communicating to the public. Instead we just get "we don't really worry about what other places are doing."

Diablo has their faults, but they are pros at communication. Without even spending much time looking, I know what the new features are. I know what to expect.

I love both places, but "if you build it... sometimes they won't come"

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I love both places, but "if you build it... sometimes they won't come"
But if you inflate it, the chances improve exponentially.

:rofl:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Effective marketing can truly make or break a place or product. I wish there was more info of course. However, I also wish for world peace and cheaper gas, but I just can't catch a break....

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
I think everyone can agree more hype is always a good thing however I think SS is missing a very important point. Building a market base and developing segments in their programs that feed into their core market base and business. Okay, the the hell does that mean you ask? If DH/FR is considered a core business for the summer time at SS, create other segments that support that core buiness. One untapped resource is SS XC. It is amazing at SS. If you think about it, almost every DHer I know was a XCer at one time or another and the XC base dwarfs the DH base in the DC metro area. Offer and hype the XC program to draw the crowds (there are more of them and most of them are of means) and then lower the barriers a bit so they will try DH. I personally know a few XCers loved DH once they tried it, but I had to push them b/c they were intimidated by the risk and the cost.

Another untapped market is working with the various MTB clubs. Their base is HUGE. The beauty of clubs is they carry their own insurance. MORE is one but there are others in Richmond and PA. I am talking in the order of 600+ in membership. Host a club outing, last one I went to there was a couple of hundred people there and this was just to a state park with camping and XC. This can be a big plus b/c the infrastructure is there and with very low investment (no lifts required) you will get people at the mountain. Once the crowds are there offer trial DH programs, show mountain bike movies in the square, hype it up. I am sure during the 2-3 day event a good number of people will move to the dark side or at least try it. Play off a SS strengh, once there, SS has a captive audience for everything else, food booze etc. Even if you get a few DH converts, you show case your awesome XC trails to a bunch of people and they will return (and spend $). This can all play into support the dollar base required to run and improve the MTB program. Imagine a weeknd that had just as many XCers ripping on their trails and us on the DH trails. I think SS would call that a good weekend. Plus, there may be more in shape chicks hanging around........but I digress.

Another idea stolen from the ski industry is creat a bike bus. Have a bus (or two) leave from the DC area to head off to SS for a day or so. Include lodging in the price. BYOB on the bus and play DH movies to hype the crowd. If they can run a bus from DC to NY for $30 one way I sure SS can figure someting out.

So to sum it up maybe the way to improve SS DH program is develop other related segments (XC, bus trips etc) at SS to foster and help support the DH MTB program.
Just a suggestion............

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
we should setup the SS party bus. Not having to drive the last 2 hrs to get there would make me want to go every weekend. I guess we would need the biggest bus possible to fit bikes.

Im going to look in to this could be a good time.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Bus could be sweet.

Gotta say though, what SS lacks in terms of marketing, they make up for in trail building.

The race courses last year were dirt orgasms. Longest, most challenging, most interesting runs I've ever had the pleasure of being beaten on.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I'm confused as to what I am supposed to be watching in this flash player...is their footage of new trails or am i supposed to be watching mardi gras footage?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Bus could be sweet.

Gotta say though, what SS lacks in terms of marketing, they make up for in trail building.

The race courses last year were dirt orgasms. Longest, most challenging, most interesting runs I've ever had the pleasure of being beaten on.
Problem is that this doesn't lead to more riders from Pittsburgh and up north being persuaded to come drive to Snowshoe instead of Diablo. More riders means more backing from the mountain allowing Brad and crew to do what they do best...build sick trails.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Problem is that this doesn't lead to more riders from Pittsburgh and up north being persuaded to come drive to Snowshoe instead of Diablo. More riders means more backing from the mountain allowing Brad and crew to do what they do best...build sick trails.
???????

Loyalty is ok, but sheesh...get a room...:huh:

:rofl:

You gonna be there opening weekend?