Quantcast

Giant Glory

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
A stock DH bike from a mainstream manufacturer? It obviously has to suck. And I will make any excuse to prove it.

Jeez, get over it. It doesn't make a bike somehow lame if it comes stock from a big manufacturer. A bike is a bike. Of course this will be a great bike. The Giant Team DH wasn't and isn't a bad bike by any means. This e-speculation about it's suckage and ugliness just comes from those who know they will loose to it. E-hacks can't stand the thought of loosing to a normal bike that is cheaper than their Kinesis built, "American Made" high dollar, small company boutique bike. Disgusting. Get over it. Stock bikes are killer these days.

I do think it is over priced though, along with 90% of DH bikes and 85% of mountain bikes in general. Stop buying things due to looks and high cost only. There is no magic that makes them better.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
bikenweed said:
A stock DH bike from a mainstream manufacturer? It obviously has to suck. And I will make any excuse to prove it.

Jeez, get over it. It doesn't make a bike somehow lame if it comes stock from a big manufacturer. A bike is a bike. Of course this will be a great bike. The Giant Team DH wasn't and isn't a bad bike by any means. This e-speculation about it's suckage and ugliness just comes from those who know they will loose to it. E-hacks can't stand the thought of loosing to a normal bike that is cheaper than their Kinesis built, "American Made" high dollar, small company boutique bike. Disgusting. Get over it. Stock bikes are killer these days.

I do think it is over priced though, along with 90% of DH bikes and 85% of mountain bikes in general. Stop buying things due to looks and high cost only. There is no magic that makes them better.
I agree that the giants are great. If your DH bike is made overseas (which many are) it is probably made by giant anyways.

But, as far as being overpriced its not. 4500 for that bike is a great deal. Think about the specs on it. Most bikes don't have a spec nearly that good, especially not for the same price. And trying to build that bike up would easily cost way over 4500.

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
wow- so much e-speculation and hate. I had to check if I was on Pinkbike.

Giant now carries a lifetime warranty (read warranty- not guarantee) on ALL it's frames.

The position of the shock mount is part of the design. If your such a hack that you case the down tube it won't pose a problem. If you do it all the time- then you'll break some of your bones from casing before really damage the down tube, or shock mount.

If it had (insert your favorite company here) on the down tube then most of you haters would be drooling.

It will not be available as a frameset in the US in 2006.

Lastly- none of you have ridden it yet.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
zmtber said:
very good point, what do all of you have to say to this
There are plenty of DH bikes under 4500. Just none that have all top of the line race oriented components.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
narlus said:
how many full-kit DH bikes come w/ an MSRP of $4500 or less?
Seriously, the bike looks solid to me. Dual link suspension, all the weight down near the cranks and I happen to really like the unique look of it. And after riding a buddies Trance that was built for 4x I gotta say maestro is teh ****. Let people bash on, the bike is proven under Rando this entire past season and it put in the FASTEST time at the Aus national champs. Regardless if the bike matters or not, we dont need to go into that, it has to be at least decent to pull off something like that esp. under that level of competition. Not to mention the fact that Cavalier won the junior worlds on a faith. The bike and suspension is proven enough in my eyes, so hate on ya fairys.

If you're a hack and worried about casing your downtube, buy a banshee or something, but if you're confident enough to steer clear of something that rediculous and impossible then I'd say this bike is a good buy.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
There is a reason it is so cheep, they cheeped the F out on the build kit. HFX9s, X7 shifters, 4.0 rear shock, and evolve bars and stem. They cheeped the hell out on the components.

Frank Black

Chimp
Apr 21, 2005
It does have a great fork/rims/chain guide. The brakes are a easey change, the shifter who gives a fcuk, and when was the last time You lost a race because Your bars or post were "slowing me down". I've got one on order and Yes it is a UGLY bike, but it is cheep, solid, and when it breaks all I need to do is call Mike in warrenty and they will send me what ever part I broke. Giant is cool like that.

TheMontashu said:
There is a reason it is so cheep, they cheeped the F out on the build kit. HFX9s, X7 shifters, 4.0 rear shock, and evolve bars and stem. They cheeped the hell out on the components.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
4500 is a crazy good deal for that bike. Giant's biggest strength has always been their pricing and parts spec, unfortunately that never carried over to the dh bikes until now(the previous dh team was 5500 and the comp came with crap parts). You're getting a 40 and pretty much top of the line parts for well under 5g, you cant do that anywhere else. The only other bike that comes to mind is the Demo 8 II, which is 4900 and cuts corners on a number of lesser parts(still a great deal). I think the glory looks fine, other that the infamous shock mount its a pretty normal looking frame. And regardless, its a bike for christ's sake, its not like you all have girls to impress with your sick sweet looking ride. If it works, I'll ride it.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Frank Black said:
It does have a great fork/rims/chain guide. The brakes are a easey change, the shifter who gives a fcuk, and when was the last time You lost a race because Your bars or post were "slowing me down". I've got one on order and Yes it is a UGLY bike, but it is cheep, solid, and when it breaks all I need to do is call Mike in warrenty and they will send me what ever part I broke. Giant is cool like that.
I lost an XC race once because the clamp on my seatpost decided to break and release my seat. That slowed me down considerably. Not to mention it made things uncomfortable for the ride back to the start (which wasn't far - just took the DNF).

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Wow Dejavu! These posts remind me a lot of when Giant came out with the DH and it's exposed linkage under the BB, just now it's the shock mount, not the linkage.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
dante said:
you're joking, right?

edit: to help you out, check out GT, IH, Norco, Mongoose, Specialized and Kona... all have DH bikes under $4500.
Except for the specialized none of those come even close on parts spec for the money. Where else can you get a 40, an DHX5, E13, Mavic/ringle wheels, ect for under 5g? No where. And oh, you couldnt pay me to ride a Norco or a Mongoose, not applicable, even if they could match the parts, which they cant. To be fair I am not a big fan of any of the race face stuff and would probably swap it, but you still cant argue the value.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dante said:
you're joking, right?

edit: to help you out, check out GT, IH, Norco, Mongoose, Specialized and Kona... all have DH bikes under $4500.
w/ comparable build? i wasn't joking, as i really don't know the market. haven't bought a bike since '02, and have no plans in '06.

J

JRB

Frank Black said:
<snip>Mike in warrenty and they will send me what ever part I broke. Giant is cool like that.
I spoke extensively with Mike about true measurements on my Reign before I decided what size frame to order. He helped more than the test rides on bikes that weren't set up for me. Great guy. He gave me his extension and said to call for anything. I will say that Giant has the best service of any bike mfg, be it small or large.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
TheInedibleHulk said:
Except for the specialized none of those come even close on parts spec for the money. Where else can you get a 40, an DHX5, E13, Mavic/ringle wheels, ect for under 5g? No where. And oh, you couldnt pay me to ride a Norco or a Mongoose, not applicable, even if they could match the parts, which they cant. To be fair I am not a big fan of any of the race face stuff and would probably swap it, but you still cant argue the value.
The only thing remarkable is the 40RC2. The rest is either commonplace on a DH rig, or vastly inferior (HFX-9s?) to what else is out there. For $4599, IH Sunday Elite, or for $4999 Kona Stab Supreme, for $3999 GT's DH-i, for $4900 Demo 8 II.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
i would prefer the glory at 5k if it had better brakes ,rear shock and drivetrain.i dont understand why they are not offering 2 levels of part spec like they did untill now.

the highest bang for your buck today (imho) are the .357 magnum and ec-d.they are both around 3.5k with awsome parts spec (maybe even better than the glory).
you should also check the sunday elite & team and demo 8 1&2 for some really nice specs at very good prices.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Frank Black said:
Look at it this way a good brake set is going to set you back 4 or 500$ and up to 600$ if you want some BLING ones Right there you are up to 5Gs and the shifters do matter, Dispite what most people think good clean shifting on a DH bike does make a difrence.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dante said:
The only thing remarkable is the 40RC2. The rest is either commonplace on a DH rig, or vastly inferior (HFX-9s?) to what else is out there. For $4599, IH Sunday Elite, or for $4999 Kona Stab Supreme, for $3999 GT's DH-i, for $4900 Demo 8 II.
a quick glance at the specs of the bikes listed shows that aside from the brakes, it's pretty even (although the GT has some syntace stuff and i'd rather not run WTB hubs, rims and tires; the Demo 8 also has specialized stuff for hubs/tires). not sure what the difference is between the fox DHX 4.0 and 5.0. one area where the giant cuts a corner is that there are no pedals included. pedals are personal preference but you could always sell the crank bros from the IH for $70 new. there's no headset listed for the Giant, but it's probably not a King.

anyway, seems very competitive, even after this comparison.

J

JRB

narlus said:
<snip>not sure what the difference is between the fox DHX 4.0 and 5.0. one area where the giant cuts a corner is that there are no pedals included. pedals are personal preference but you could always sell the crank bros from the IH for $70 new. there's no headset listed for the Giant, but it's probably not a King.

anyway, seems very competitive, even after this comparison.
I am sure the headset is an FSA, and the difference on the shock is bottom out adjustment on the 5.0. The 4.0 only has air, or vice versa. Too lazy to go look on Fox's site.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Its too bad they're not offering it as a frameset, where you could build it up any way you please. They seem to have always offered their DH bikes as framesets also, I wonder why they're not this year. Anyway, $4500 seems like a pretty decent price for that set-up IMO.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
dante said:
The Giant part spec is just as good if not better than all of those bikes. Not to mention it is cheaper than all of them aside from the dhi (but that has parts from 05 on it). The only thing that even compares to it is the sunday. But the 40 is arguably a better fork than the 888 (it is also a lot more expensive so you have to add that into the price). You can argue all you want but the giant is one of the best spec'd stock DH bikes around and the price is pretty unbeatable.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I'll give you that the IH is also a great deal, but my complete hatred of marzocchi rules that out. Plus except for the GT the giant is still the cheapest, and the GT doesnt have a 40, has turd cranks and rims. More importantly, it's a GT. I hadnt noticed that the Glory had HFX9s, not mags. That is lame.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
TheInedibleHulk said:
I hadnt noticed that the Glory had HFX9s, not mags. That is lame.
I have owned both mags and HFX-9's. They both brake equally as well. I honestly feel that my HFX9's perform better than my mags ever did.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Wow, you guys don't seem to mind spending $5k for a bicycle. For $5k I'll buy a used and pro-level competitive DH bike as well as a 2002 YZ250. My point is that these prices for DH bikes are horrible. How much does it cost Giant, Specialized, GT, Iron Horse or any other manufactur per frame over in Taiwan to produce these DH rigs? A whole lot less than you think. Yes they are complicated, and a lot of engineering went into them. But not $3k worth of engineering, and with the amount of problems these bikes and frames have, it isn't acceptable.

It seems many of you look forward to paying so much for a bike. Why aren't we boycotting any of these over priced bikes, or protesting in some shape or form? Why is the latest always the greatest? We need to look at our sport and assess it from an outside perspective. I will admit that no fortunes are being made in the industry. Maybe we are at a catch 22, that we need to sell more bikes to get the sport bigger, but prospective buyers can't afford to buy bikes. What do you think? Would you pay $4500 for a bike that will have problems within the first five rides, like most high end bikes these days?

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
bikenweed said:
Wow, you guys don't seem to mind spending $5k for a bicycle. For $5k I'll buy a used and pro-level competitive DH bike as well as a 2002 YZ250. My point is that these prices for DH bikes are horrible. How much does it cost Giant, Specialized, GT, Iron Horse or any other manufactur per frame over in Taiwan to produce these DH rigs? A whole lot less than you think. Yes they are complicated, and a lot of engineering went into them. But not $3k worth of engineering, and with the amount of problems these bikes and frames have, it isn't acceptable.

It seems many of you look forward to paying so much for a bike. Why aren't we boycotting any of these over priced bikes, or protesting in some shape or form? Why is the latest always the greatest? We need to look at our sport and assess it from an outside perspective. I will admit that no fortunes are being made in the industry. Maybe we are at a catch 22, that we need to sell more bikes to get the sport bigger, but prospective buyers can't afford to buy bikes. What do you think? Would you pay $4500 for a bike that will have problems within the first five rides, like most high end bikes these days?
What kind of deals are you finding, I'd love a dh bike and a quick dirt bike?

Granted I've never paid $5g's for a bike either, but I've had connections and hook-ups. Putting together a complete DH bike w/ a decent to high end build up puts you over $4 grand. Take the specs. of any complete bike and break it up into retail of each part and add them up. Then take those same parts and add them to a boutique-esk frame and it gets expensive for full retail. Yeah, prices are high.....but its like that throughout the bike industry, not just the dh market (price out some low production, high end road bikes!). There are also a lot of people who won't trust used dh stuff......hell hommie, I've seen some of your threads about broken frames. Many people like the security of a warranty.

Yeah, I'd love to see cheaper bikes and frames, but they won't have Fox forks up front. This giant is a world cup quality new design w/ high end suspension and you guys are bitching about x7 and hfx-9s??!! If you guys want this or that, then buy a frame and build it up.......or kidnap ska todd and take his job.

I don't know guys. This looks like a good deal and I've been dealing w/ this stuff for a while. But hell, show me where those killer deals are and maybe I could be playing w/ a new-ish moto too.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
2002 YZ250 $3000 obo
http://www.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/131717232.html
2001 YZ426F $2800
http://www.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/131534693.html
2001 YZ250 $2500
http://www.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/131523778.html

Sunday World Cup $2500
http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142454
Cannondale Gemini DH $2400
http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140080
Santa Cruz V-10 $1900
http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143361

These used items show how for the same price as the Giant, once tax is included, you can have both a sweet dirt bike and a sweet DH bike. Things are worth what people will pay for them. We are paying too much for new DH stuff. Since when is $4,500 considered cheap for a bicycle? Our sense of value is skewed.

It is a sweet deal when compared to the other bikes out there, but my point is we are paying way, way too much. The industry isn't profiting hugely though, so let's figure out some designs and save some money on all this re-designing. Also, the reason for such high prices could be the tiny demand for these bikes. There's a much higher demand for dirt bikes than MTB's, so the manufacturers are producing them in much larger numbers, vastly lowering production costs. It all seems like a huge catch 22. We need to sell more bikes, but we can't because they cost too much. Let's hear some ideas on how to save some coin!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
TheMontashu said:
Look at it this way a good brake set is going to set you back 4 or 500$ and up to 600$ if you want some BLING ones Right there you are up to 5Gs and the shifters do matter, Dispite what most people think good clean shifting on a DH bike does make a difrence.
$600 FOR NEW BRAKES, WHAT BRAKES DO YOU HAVE IN MIND?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
TheInedibleHulk said:
Plus except for the GT the giant is still the cheapest, and the GT doesnt have a 40, has turd cranks and rims. More importantly, it's a GT.
The DHi is not being produced for 05, replaced by the IT1, which has an MSRP of $4999 with an insane part spec and gearbox. Has a 40, saint hubs, cranks, Hope M4s, Sun MTX rims, etc etc...they skimped on nothing on that bike. Show me the better deal, eh?

http://www.gtbikes.com/mountain/catalog/detail.php?id=2051&country=usa&brand=moun

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
zmtber said:
$600 FOR NEW BRAKES, WHAT BRAKES DO YOU HAVE IN MIND?

Think he is talking about a front and rear, After a complete kit, install, and bleed it would probably come to about $4-500 for good brakes
sadly

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
bikenweed said:
2002 YZ250 $3000 obo
http://www.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/131717232.html
2001 YZ426F $2800
http://www.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/131534693.html
2001 YZ250 $2500
http://www.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/131523778.html

Sunday World Cup $2500
http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142454
Cannondale Gemini DH $2400
http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140080
Santa Cruz V-10 $1900
http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143361

These used items show how for the same price as the Giant, once tax is included, you can have both a sweet dirt bike and a sweet DH bike. Things are worth what people will pay for them. We are paying too much for new DH stuff. Since when is $4,500 considered cheap for a bicycle? Our sense of value is skewed.

It is a sweet deal when compared to the other bikes out there, but my point is we are paying way, way too much. The industry isn't profiting hugely though, so let's figure out some designs and save some money on all this re-designing. Also, the reason for such high prices could be the tiny demand for these bikes. There's a much higher demand for dirt bikes than MTB's, so the manufacturers are producing them in much larger numbers, vastly lowering production costs. It all seems like a huge catch 22. We need to sell more bikes, but we can't because they cost too much. Let's hear some ideas on how to save some coin!
^^Also true...I just paid 800 bucks for an SGS with a not nice, but not craptacular part spec that will probably ride anything nearly as fast as a $5k bike will...it's not about the bike.