Quantcast

Gloves vs no gloves

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
wow, riding downhill without gloves is just retarded, its like riding without a helmet or knee protection. For those 3 its not IF its gonna bite you in the ass, its when and how bad. Unless you're riding smooth dirt hardpack or something....
sandstone hurts alot more to crash on then most other rocks, and socal has alot of sandstone and cactus and other sharp pointy bits.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
Very good thread Damo but have you explained to these lovely people on ridemonkey:
1) What country you come from
2) What bike you ride
Percy put brought me up to plat regarding Damo.

There is a chance that Kiwis may have been some of the first though, we are so far behind other civilisations that we only got introduced to gloves in the last decade. Before this we just put our hands in freshly excreted cow poo to warm our hands :brow:

:busted:

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
sandpaper those things man, works great
and yeah france racing rules are bull****, i should be allowed to wear what i want when im racing~ obviously a helmet and goggles should be mandatory but gloves and elbow pads should not
When you'll pay for 100% of your medical care you'll be allowed to. In the mean time stop crying like a little bitch.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
sandstone hurts alot more to crash on then most other rocks, and socal has alot of sandstone and cactus and other sharp pointy bits.
Look I hate rubbers as much as anyone but...
I've fallen on all kinds of rocks, they all hurt the hands. Besides, what trails doesn't have random braches and stuff to cut your hands on, even if you don't fall? And who's grip doesn't worsen with sweat?

Last edited:

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
When you'll pay for 100% of your medical care you'll be allowed to. In the mean time stop crying like a little bitch.
i pay for my health care.. i dont feel comfortable wearing armor and gloves while riding/racing so why should i be put at a disadvantage

you dont see world cup riders having to abide by these rules do you?

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Percy put brought me up to plat regarding Damo.

There is a chance that Kiwis may have been some of the first though, we are so far behind other civilisations that we only got introduced to gloves in the last decade. Before this we just put our hands in freshly excreted cow poo to warm our hands :brow:

Actually we are so far behind that we've just got word of a fad that was started waaaaay back in the early 90s by guys like Cully
I couldn't find a pic of him winning the 1992 worlds gloveless on an Ironhorse.....but here he is in the late 90s (still gloveless)

Attachments

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Look I hate rubbers as much as anyone but...
I've fallen on all kinds of rocks, they all hurt the hands. Besides, what trails doesn't have random braches and stuff to cut your hands on, even if you don't fall? And who's grip doesn't worsen with sweat?
its true, but the damage I do to my hands tends to be pretty equal as far as aches pains and sprains goes, but I roll away with a lot more skin abrasion while I'm in socal. Maybe thats just me, maybe I've just gotten lucky, but it seems to work out that way for me.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
I've been riding gloveless on and off for the last 5 years at least. Sometimes I get all worried about my hands in a crash and begin wearing them again, but honestly, I hate wearing gloves riding. I find no difference related to grip at all, my grips are generally stickier, as Gary just said, and I prefer the feel I get through the bars without them. Lot's of the pro's at some point have ridden gloveless, Rennie did a season back in the early 2000's without gloves as well. Cully was and still is the ****. Would love to see him ride again!

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
Actually we are so far behind that we've just got word of a fad that was started waaaaay back in the early 90s by guys like Cully
I couldn't find a pic of him winning the 1992 worlds gloveless on an Ironhorse.....but here he is in the late 90s (still gloveless)
:shocked: - gee I didn't realise that we even had full sus back then :rolleyes:

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
what i hate about gloves is that they all seem to rip a seam within a few hours of use. usually between the thumb/pointer or at a fingertip. so freakin annoying. I've had several different sets of fox and all of them did it. but then I have some of those handyman gloves from home depot which are basically a $7 mechanix knock off and those have been hanging tough for tons of wrenching on cars and other work that would be way more hard on gloves. they work pretty good for handlebars too.:redface:
As far as wearing no gloves Ive had DH crashes where if i wasnt wearing gloves there would have been some serious meaty paw. having hand injuries is just plain annoying.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Original no-glove advocate Dave C.

Edit: OUPS, didn't read the whole thread and pic was already up. Oh well, Cully is still a major ripper and his Easton pro model pedal rips

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I only wear gloves for warmth....nothing sucks worse than cold hands

rossp

Chimp
Jul 26, 2007
Original no-glove advocate Dave C.

Edit: OUPS, didn't read the whole thread and pic was already up. Oh well, Cully is still a major ripper and his Easton pro model pedal rips

Sure - lots of folks rip without gloves. Spandex is banned now - so what? no-one used to wear seatbelts in cars - attitudes change...... Common sense says wear gloves - your race run won't be any slower, and if you stack it'll save the skin on your palms so you can go back to your happy job on Monday with no scabs. (that's good for me!)

Just let's not have DH go the same way as BMX (which I love) with skinny jeans, no lids, no pads just for the look.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
Sure - lots of folks rip without gloves. Spandex is banned now - so what? no-one used to wear seatbelts in cars - attitudes change...... Common sense says wear gloves - your race run won't be any slower, and if you stack it'll save the skin on your palms so you can go back to your happy job on Monday with no scabs. (that's good for me!)

Just let's not have DH go the same way as BMX (which I love) with skinny jeans, no lids, no pads just for the look.
my race run will be slower with gloves because i dont like the feel of them

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Take your helmets off, you can 'feel' the trail better that way...

The idea that gloves take any kind of 'feel' away is ludicrous; there is no plus to not wearing gloves except if you 'like it' - which IS legitimate, but stop trying to claim a performance advantage.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France

The idea that gloves take any kind of 'feel' away is ludicrous; there is no plus to not wearing gloves except if you 'like it' - which IS legitimate, but stop trying to claim a performance advantage.
im not saying there is a performance advantage, i said i feel better with no gloves as i have a direct contact with the grips and lever blade

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Explain my hand fatigue when I wore gloves for one run. If that isn't a disadvantage (for me at least), I don't know what is...
Who knows... Perhaps during the season I'll go back to gloves.

ph4se_1

Chimp
Jun 17, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
i think what ronan and a few others are trying to say is that they will be faster with gloves as this is the setup they feel most comfortable with,the same as if some people are faster with specific bike setup because it makes them more comfortable on the bike...i alternate between gloves and no gloves depending on the day really,usually ill wear some if i can actually find them!

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC

Does a condom take the feel away? I 100% think it does! We gloveless riders are doing it for the same reasons. Personal preference. I have nothing against people that wear gloves, so no one should have issues with me or anyone else that doesn't. No one can deny that sex is better without a dom! ;)

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Does a condom take the feel away? I 100% think it does! We gloveless riders are doing it for the same reasons. Personal preference. I have nothing against people that wear gloves, so no one should have issues with me or anyone else that doesn't. No one can deny that sex is better without a dom! ;)
Its not an issue with the rider, its an 'issue' with the ludicrous feel argument - what feel/feedback are you losing? none.

Theres a lot to be said for preference; real performance aside - people do better at whatever they're doing if they're comfortable/feel confident. Call em hot, maybe you cant find a good fit, or you dont like the style. The notion that it improves 'feel' or performance is a boatload.

Ride padless, helmetless, gripless, whatever makes your boat float.

Darwin takes care of the rest.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Its not an issue with the rider, its an 'issue' with the ludicrous feel argument - what feel/feedback are you losing? none.

Theres a lot to be said for preference; real performance aside - people do better at whatever they're doing if they're comfortable/feel confident. Call em hot, maybe you cant find a good fit, or you dont like the style. The notion that it improves 'feel' or performance is a boatload.

Ride padless, helmetless, gripless, whatever makes your boat float.

Darwin takes care of the rest.
You missed my point...I don't wear gloves because I don't like the 'feel' of gloves. To me I 'feel' better without them. I like the direct contact and 'feel' of my skin and the grips. Again. Personal preference. I don't feel that it is a ludicrous argument to those whose opinion is precisely that. Their opinion. I'm not saying it, but others may say your opinions are 'ludicrous', to which I'm sure you would respond with something to the effect of no they're not. That's your opinion and everyone is entitled to that.

I'm going riding now, without my gloves!

Peace.

JayBear

Monkey
Ive been wearing gloves for a long time, Just how I started riding, and since I sweat like a mad man I figured it would be a safe move.. 3 months ago I left them on the rack and drove home..No more gloves.. Been riding glove less ever since..Ive noticed way less hand pump and overall it feels great..I tried wearing a buddies yesterday and had to stop halfway down and take them off, felt less in touch with the Bike..Just my opinion.. I dont think they make me faster or slower, Just dont like the feel.. To each his own..Dont knock it till you tried it..

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Erm...
How does that equate to weak girly hands?
I'm saying I tried a day sans gloves and discovered it felt better...
It could well be argued the opposite really.

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Erm...
How does that equate to weak girly hands?
I'm saying I tried a day sans gloves and discovered it felt better...
It could well be argued the opposite really.
I wonder how K-bizzle feels about no gloves at this moment in Time. I also wonder if Matt Walker still runs gloveless after the worlds last year.

Problem with a lot of gloves is that the most fashionable ones aren't always the best fitting. Hands are all different shapes, so while a glove might fit on your hand, it might not FIT your hand

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I like riding without gloves. I "feel" the ground's contours better when I crash. hehe.

Who cares, ride what works for you.

Oh and for the guy who mentioned Darwin. Your hands adapt to gloveless and it is no longer a problem if you ride often enough.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
You missed my point...I don't wear gloves because I don't like the 'feel' of gloves. To me I 'feel' better without them. I like the direct contact and 'feel' of my skin and the grips. Again. Personal preference. I don't feel that it is a ludicrous argument to those whose opinion is precisely that. Their opinion. I'm not saying it, but others may say your opinions are 'ludicrous', to which I'm sure you would respond with something to the effect of no they're not. That's your opinion and everyone is entitled to that.

I'm going riding now, without my gloves!

Peace.

You like how it feels versus wearing gloves - that's fine.

It is not an opinion that gloves provide an advantage for grip, and less importantly to many (clearly you) for protection.

There are no advantages to riding gloveless, excepting if you like to ride that way; super for you. If you think there is, or that somehow you have better feedback or control, then I need you to come to NYC and buy this bridge I have for sale.

Reality isnt an opinion.

Its not meant to be a criticism or insult, if anyone is seeing that, they're inferring something silly.

Ride shoeless, the grip is phenomenal, and your feet stay cool!!!

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I wonder how K-bizzle feels about no gloves at this moment in Time. I also wonder if Matt Walker still runs gloveless after the worlds last year.

Problem with a lot of gloves is that the most fashionable ones aren't always the best fitting. Hands are all different shapes, so while a glove might fit on your hand, it might not FIT your hand
Definitely critical. Gloves too tight WILL cause pump, gloves too loose will result in a boatload of callous and uncomfortable bunching.

'Dont knock it til you've tried it' -- have, for years on BMX, gloves when racing, none when goofing around - too many slipped grips, blisters and scraped hands from digs that I started wearing them full time.

My only knock for gloves is when I sweat, then take em off for lunch or w/e, and have to put soggy cold gloves back on. That is 'yukky'

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Hey Huck B, have you ever ridden gloveless for long enough to get used to it and your hands get tough and caloused enough to work? Or are you just theorizing?