Quantcast

Going from 27.5 to 29...DH bike

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

turman isn't really your average joe though. He's much slower
Funny thing is that Brook Macdonald claims here that he can ride pretty much get used to any bike and ride it fast. Ironically he was the guy who never could get used to the GT and it cost him 2 years of his career.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
There are other recent examples of this. Ed Masters is clearly faster on a Pivot than on a Bergamont.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Does anyone know if the 27.5 and 29" Fox 40s use the same crowns? I want to reduce the offset of a 49 for le$$ than Mojo crowns cost.
p4pb14732994.jpg
I know someone who could do this for you....
Or you can get ahold of aaron bland @ outsider bikes for his adjustable clamps that are better than the morc $$$

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
If you think Pierron (or whoever) wouldn't change a thing about their bike setup in absence of sponsor obligations, you're delusional. And you don't need to be at that level to notice differences.

The top racers go fast as fuck on the stuff they're paid to ride because they're absurdly talented. And, yes, their equipment is tuned and maintained exceptionally well. But the idea that lesser riders can't glean some advantage from better parts because the best in the world still manage to go fast on other stuff is insane.

Not to mention that personal preferences and riding style factor in here too. There's no single objective "best" for every rider out there.
Obviously sponsor obligations play a part, Not every WC bike is equal, I get that.
But what better parts are you referring to specifically? Fox over Rockshox? no argument here. BUT

Specifically what parts would you swap out to make this lesser riders bike better than Pierrons factory bike?
How exactly would they be an improvement?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
View attachment 142301
I know someone who could do this for you....
Or you can get ahold of aaron bland @ outsider bikes for his adjustable clamps that are better than the morc $$$
I couldn't get hold of a Gambler frame, only a complete bike and those only come with 29" wheels and forks. I'm swapping to 27.5 wheels but would like to keep the fork as I may do a 29" front wheel in the future. I'll look into those other crowns.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Obviously sponsor obligations play a part, Not every WC bike is equal, I get that.
But what better parts are you referring to specifically? Fox over Rockshox? no argument here. BUT

Specifically what parts would you swap out to make this lesser riders bike better than Pierrons factory bike?
How exactly would they be an improvement?
For one thing my bikes have always been lighter than factory racer's bikes. While waiting for our starts at national champs several years ago Gwin was going gaga over how much lighter my bike was. My Spark RC is over a pound lighter than Ninos even when I'm running a dropper and he isn't. There's also the little details like being able to select your favorite rim width and tires.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
For one thing my bikes have always been lighter than factory racer's bikes. While waiting for our starts at national champs several years ago Gwin was going gaga over how much lighter my bike was. My Spark RC is over a pound lighter than Ninos even when I'm running a dropper and he isn't. There's also the little details like being able to select your favorite rim width and tires.
Not to mention having things like working brakes and their choice of tires.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Well given this covid-19 sweeping the world, I'm thinking bike parks aren't going to open any time soon. Not sure if there's much point in picking up a DH bike now when the whole season could be shot even before it gets a chance to start. Luckily I have local places to ride the Megatower.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I couldn't get hold of a Gambler frame, only a complete bike and those only come with 29" wheels and forks. I'm swapping to 27.5 wheels but would like to keep the fork as I may do a 29" front wheel in the future. I'll look into those other crowns.
Which one did you end up getting? FWIW, I have been running a machined crown like Englertracing posted for a few seasons.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Well given this covid-19 sweeping the world, I'm thinking bike parks aren't going to open any time soon. Not sure if there's much point in picking up a DH bike now when the whole season could be shot even before it gets a chance to start. Luckily I have local places to ride the Megatower.
Could be a great time to pick one up cheap for next year though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
IMO, a DH bike is a real hard sell. I'd love to live somewhere that I could do DH-worthy shuttles any day I choose (read: not 50 or 100 miles away) or next to some world-class parks, as in a few miles away, but other than that, it's just something that sits around most of the time and a good enduro rig is so damn capable. I usually like being a bit over-biked, but DH bikes are so bad at everything other than DH that it becomes a real niche market. Everyone likes them, but few really want to own them...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Which one did you end up getting? FWIW, I have been running a machined crown like Englertracing posted for a few seasons.
I've got a Gambler Tuned and Ransom Tuned on the way. I'm keeping the Ransom 29" for racing but want to run the Gambler 27.5" for park riding. I can only find reviews of the Outsider crowns, no website or retailers. Did he stop making them? I feel like I'm buying an outdated fork and in June Fox will show the 2021 49 with reduced offset. When that happens hopefully I can just buy the new lowers. Reducing offset there maintains the max turning range, which a reduced offset crown minimizes.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Could be a great time to pick one up cheap for next year though.
Absolutely! Although then next year the more recent models will out and I'll want that...it's a vicious cycle. But in all seriousness, when people are told the season is officially tanked, I'll try to pick something up on the cheap.

IMO, a DH bike is a real hard sell. I'd love to live somewhere that I could do DH-worthy shuttles any day I choose (read: not 50 or 100 miles away) or next to some world-class parks, as in a few miles away, but other than that, it's just something that sits around most of the time and a good enduro rig is so damn capable. I usually like being a bit over-biked, but DH bikes are so bad at everything other than DH that it becomes a real niche market. Everyone likes them, but few really want to own them...
It is for sure. If you look at sites that have buy/sell forums, not many DH bikes compared to enduro bikes, and I totally understand that: My Megatower is a lot of fun to ride. It's not as fast as a dedicated DH bike, but it's still pretty damn quick and you get the benefit of being able to ride it uphill.

Whistler is about 1.5 hours away for me so it makes for a hell of a long day, but it's still fun to me to ride there. I will say though since my schedule at work has changed and now has me working more during the week and less on weekends, I have to plan my 'whistler' days a little more carefully; I refuse to go on weekends...the lift lineups are brutal.

I've mostly always had a DH bike which is why I'm trying to be responsible and make sure whatever I pick up doesn't really put me in the hole financially after selling all the stuff I have now. Either way, I'll wait a while and see what happens with the coronavirus.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
I've got a Gambler Tuned and Ransom Tuned on the way. I'm keeping the Ransom 29" for racing but want to run the Gambler 27.5" for park riding. I can only find reviews of the Outsider crowns, no website or retailers. Did he stop making them? I feel like I'm buying an outdated fork and in June Fox will show the 2021 49 with reduced offset. When that happens hopefully I can just buy the new lowers. Reducing offset there maintains the max turning range, which a reduced offset crown minimizes.
Crowns are on the pb buysell!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I went back to full 27 on mine. I wouldn’t worry about an outdated fork purchase If you are planning on running 27. Put a 27.5 lower on there and worry about 29 compatibility and the new lowers later? Remember the Boost 20mm thing for front wheel compatibility, If you end up running a 27 lower. There’s also the Morc crowns too. Riding a 27.5 lower cut for potential 29ering is what I settled on. I can run old hubs and I have the lower offset.

There's a used set for sale with a steerer cut "just under 6in". Is that long enough for the Gambler?
The head tube is 110mm long so should be fine?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
If I got a 29er DH bike I'd only get one which cleanly switched between geometry settings to 27.5 without compromise in either setup, just because I think a full blown 29 DH won't always be the most fun / enjoyable thing to ride everywhere, especially for average joe. Otherwise I'd just pick any of the currently available sweet 27.5" DH bikes.

in June Fox will show the 2021 49 with reduced offset. When that happens hopefully I can just buy the new lowers.
My plan too, they seem great at maintaining back/forth compatibility of updated parts on the 40 (unlike on the 36), and Ben tells me the crown spacing stayed the same (again) so presumably the new lowers will be compatible too. They have some cool new features by the looks.

Specifically what parts would you swap out to make this lesser riders bike better than Pierrons factory bike? How exactly would they be an improvement?
Similar to what Lelandjt said, I've had some of the names dropped in this thread come over and froth over random parts on my bike because they're not allowed to run them. I know sponsored riders who have requested previous-gen parts from their sponsor since the updated version sucked. Pros have plenty of experience with parts, plenty of them are bike nerds just like us, but with faster riding and more experience they're often more clued up on which parts work best. Unfortunately this doesn't always mean they can run them.

The double edged sword is when you get paid to ride, it often requires riding a specific bike/build. Most pro bikes are very nice these days, but to assume one couldn't build something better with complete freedom in parts choice (and modification) is short-sighted.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
If I got a 29er DH bike I'd only get one which cleanly switched between geometry settings to 27.5 without compromise in either setup, just because I think a full blown 29 DH won't always be the most fun / enjoyable thing to ride everywhere, especially for average joe. Otherwise I'd just pick any of the currently available sweet 27.5" DH bikes.
Been riding tons of different 2020 29ers recently and I'm genuinely surprised at how nimble/fun/playful some have been. reach/wheelbase/chainstay lenght seems to be pretty crucial to this. Way more than the actual wheel size.
in reflection 2+ years riding DH/derp/jumps and generally steezing about on 48lb 170mm Emtbs and has had some bearing on this though
Racing wise, unless you're too short I think you'd be pretty silly to discount a full 29 set up.
and that's from a #264LYF diehard. Talking of which, Fucking about, getting rowdy and not caring massively about times 26 still delivers. but takes way more rider input.

Been riding tons of different 2020 29ers recently and I'm genuinely surprised at how nimble/fun/playful some have been. reach/wheelbase/chainstay lenght seems to be pretty crucial to this. Way more than the actual wheel size.
in reflection 2+ years riding DH/derp/jumps and generally steezing about on 48lb 170mm Emtbs and has had some bearing on this though
Racing wise, unless you're too short I think you'd be pretty silly to discount a full 29 set up.
and that's from a #264LYF diehard. Talking of which, Fucking about, getting rowdy and not caring massively about times 26 still delivers. but takes way more rider input.
The way more rider input is the difference that I observe. And, no matter the ride, pedaling around is enjoyable.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Which 29ers have you tested out? I’m leery about going 29 because of losing the fun factor.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I must be one of the three monkeys here who still like their unrideabru 26" / microscopic reach DHR.
Too bad I subconsciously mod all my trail bikes to ride like the DHR. :busted:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Which 29ers have you tested out? I’m leery about going 29 because of losing the fun factor.
loads. but if you mean DH bikes. recently, Saracen, Nukeproof, a few Commies, Trek
I wouldn't recommend blindly buying one without trying a few.
as I said for me sizing matters more than the wheelsize to their handling.
Fun is subjective TBH
eg. some 29ers (for me) whip better than some 26" (This did really surprise me).
they all jump fine. Haven't ridden a single 29er DH bike I've personally found as easy to intiiate a manny on or bunnyhop as a similarly sized smaller wheeled bike. Turning is best described as "just different". seriously, beg, borrow or rent but have a go of a few. you might be surprised.
If you're asking about trail/enduro bikes... probably too many to list/remember.
i'm that riding mate who'll be on your bike jibbing about while you talk shit, get a snack, wait for others to catch up.. .I litterally don't stop rolling around on a bike ride. and WILL jump on your bike if left unattended for a few seconds.
I also fix/test ride tons

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
loads. but if you mean DH bikes. recently, Saracen, Nukeproof, a few Commies, Trek
I wouldn't recommend blindly buying one without trying a few.
as I said for me sizing matters more than the wheelsize to their handling.
Fun is subjective TBH
eg. some 29ers (for me) whip better than some 26" (This did really surprise me).
they all jump fine. Haven't ridden a single 29er DH bike I've personally found as easy to intiiate a manny on or bunnyhop as a similarly sized smaller wheeled bike. Turning is best described as "just different". seriously, beg, borrow or rent but have a go of a few. you might be surprised.
If you're asking about trail/enduro bikes... probably too many to list/remember.
i'm that riding mate who'll be on your bike jibbing about while you talk shit, get a snack, wait for others to catch up.. .I litterally don't stop rolling around on a bike ride. and WILL jump on your bike if left unattended for a few seconds.
I also fix/test ride tons
Trails bikes is what I was more interested in. I don’t think I’ll move from 27.5 on my DH bike anytime soon.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
must be one of the three monkeys here who still like their unrideabru 26" / microscopic reach DHR.
I fitted a brand new set of Codes to one last week. maaaan it really was a short bike, even by my tastes.
I still ride a 26" DH bike too

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Trails bikes is what I was more interested in. I don’t think I’ll move from 27.5 on my DH bike anytime soon.
Same reply I suppose.
Ride a few. Every fucker here has one now.

except me (obvs)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm actually pretty sold on the bigger wheels these days for a race bike. They're kinda just less effort for higher average speeds. If you're lining up at a start gate, I think you'd be silly to discount them without trying a few unless you like specifically handicapping yourself or have body geo (corgi legs) that makes the larger rear wheel an issue. Up front they're a no brainer. I'm surprised we aren't seeing more mullet designs hitting the market to encourage the less gangly riders to give them a go.

For a fun bike I think geo makes more a difference but I will say I'm definitely getting more tail taps and tyre-butt incidents with my Smuggler than with my old Scout. Maybe not such an issue on a park bike but stronger wheels are definitely more a prerequisite there, so I'd also lean towards 27.5 especially on the rear (mainly because I've been known to allegedly forget to bring whips back before landing).

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
I get 29s for DH up front like, heard they take more effort to lean so you get more control on the front and the smaller back kicks out easier so the whole bike is easier to ski and carve. Then you also get more space to move and smash into compressions and pre hop shit while having more confidence because with a bigger wheel pitching forward doesn't feel as scary
this could be total bs Im just going off what other people told me

what I don't get is the seemingly big demand for short wheelbase short travel 'poppy' 29er trail bikes. would you not want like a slope bike for that kind of riding?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm definitely getting more tail
I definitely got most tail back when riding 26" DH bikes foot out in baggy pants or and in jeans and a Tee on a dirt jump bike down the trails.
I reckon the 29er DH generation despite being faster in their super tight pants are just destined to be some rich guys plaything.

;)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I must be one of the three monkeys here who still like their unrideabru 26" / microscopic reach DHR.
Too bad I subconsciously mod all my trail bikes to ride like the DHR. :busted:
I think I'd still like it if they just made the reach like 3" longer. That was a good bike.

I've been spending some time on a GG Smash, and tried mulleting it a bit. The biggest thing I've disliked about the mullet is that the different wheel sizes kinda fuck up what my brain thinks the relationship between where the front and rear wheels should go is. I can switch between 27.5 bikes (my personal bikes all are 27.5) and 29ers okay in that regard, but as soon as I put the small wheel in back I started slamming it into all kinds of shit.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
what I don't get is the seemingly big demand for short wheelbase short travel 'poppy' 29er trail bikes. would you not want like a slope bike for that kind of riding?
Versatility.
Pretty much no one who trail rides, rides "just" poppy trails.
and hardly anyone rides actual slopestyle.