Quantcast

Going Skiing

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Silver said:
Pussies...

My last pair of skis were 200cm GS race skis. (Actually, mabye 203s. I don't think 7xk's came in 200s) Skinner than Kate Moss, they didn't even think about turning until you hit about 40mph. God forbid you hit a bump with them...

Next season maybe. What's a good big mountain ski to look at next spring when the sales start? I like going really fast. Avoid bumps like the plague. 5'11, 150lbs.

Any suggestions?
i picked up a set of rossi 9X last season and am happy with them. they're oversize (overly wide) GS race skis basically. 16m sidecut. get them on edge and they just love to shoot out of a turn down the fall line...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Toshi said:
i picked up a set of rossi 9X last season and am happy with them. they're oversize (overly wide) GS race skis basically. 16m sidecut. get them on edge and they just love to shoot out of a turn down the fall line...
Wierd. I was just thinking that. Those skis are about the only rossi's I've seen that don't blow up with that cheesy foam core that the rest have.

Silver.......You ride where.? Obviously on "packed powder". Check out volkl's race skis. I worked at a ski shop with pretty much every demo line made and volkl and fischer are about the only two I can say that really don't make a bad ski quality/durability-wise.

Volkl is obsessive though. They own an ash grove in the black forest in germany and shape their cambers instead of steaming them or manipulating them with fvcked up bracing techniques they think makes cool sounding marketing. Those things last forever and you can drive them into a wall at full speed....they will last longer than you.

They used to be called p.something p40 etc but they're something stupid this year ...racetiger.

I don't know if you've ever ridden some of the newer style slalom skis (sounds like you've got a nice rayban collection?) but you can literally hit 40-50 mph and turn so hard you're going uphill faster than most people going down.

But if you actually go somewhere with snow, you might want to check out some fischer big stix or volkl ACs (g4, g3 in older models). They do everything fairly well and are stiff enough to go hauling on hardpack.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
kidwoo said:
Silver.......You ride where.? Obviously on "packed powder". Check out volkl's race skis. I worked at a ski shop with pretty much every demo line made and volkl and fischer are about the only two I can say that really don't make a bad ski quality/durability-wise..
No no...just been a while. I used to ski Fernie and Lake Louise. It would be Mammoth in the future.

edit: No slalom skis...I like to make as few turns as possible.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Silver said:
No no...just been a while. I used to ski Fernie and Lake Louise. It would be Mammoth in the future.

edit: No slalom skis...I like to make as few turns as possible.
Fernie? You suck.
If you head to mammoth let me know. That's only 2.5 hours from me.

Check these out. Don't let the freestyle/twin tip thing throw you off. These are fast, resonably stiff skis that do everything pretty well. They're the next size down from what I've got. Little more sidecut and not quite as fat. If I only had one pair of skis, I'd be looking at these.

http://www.volkl.com/ski/mantra.html

If you have an idea or model/brand that you want, let me know. I gots a few connections and this is an area that's pretty saturated with snow toys...used or otherwise.

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
kidwoo said:
Fernie? You suck.
If you head to mammoth let me know. That's only 2.5 hours from me.

Check these out. Don't let the freestyle/twin tip thing throw you off. These are fast, resonably stiff skis that do everything pretty well. They're the next size down from what I've got. Little more sidecut and not quite as fat. If I only had one pair of skis, I'd be looking at these.

http://www.volkl.com/ski/mantra.html

If you have an idea or model/brand that you want, let me know. I gots a few connections and this is an area that's pretty saturated with snow toys...used or otherwise.

I just got my Mantra's a few weeks ago. I ordered them Mid Sept. I know as of Nov4th they were all sold out for the season.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Silver said:
Pussies...

My last pair of skis were 200cm GS race skis. (Actually, mabye 203s. I don't think 7xk's came in 200s) Skinner than Kate Moss, they didn't even think about turning until you hit about 40mph. God forbid you hit a bump with them...
I skied a pair of Volkl P40s back in the mid-90's and that's how they skied. They were 207s and the would go *way* faster than I had the guts to go. :eek: Bumps were a disaster with them, though.

Next season maybe. What's a good big mountain ski to look at next spring when the sales start? I like going really fast. Avoid bumps like the plague. 5'11, 150lbs.

Any suggestions?
Volkl, man. If you like to go fast.