Quantcast

Going to Japan

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
give valve bouncer a PM, i'm sure he can direct you to the local soaplands.

definitely see if any japanese bands are playing in the vicinity...there are so many good ones.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Here is what you will see:

http://www.austinbike.com/travel/japan/tokyo/index.asp

Make sure you you have some tonkatsu for dinner:

http://www.austinbike.com/travel/japan/tonkatsu/index.asp

Also you'll find awesome sushi, the best ramen noodles can be found at shops under the train stations. Have some shabu shabu, but make sure you either have a local with you or someone that can explain the whole fat thing in english.

Go to Shinjuku, it's the tokyo version of vegas, pachinko parlors, bars and stores.

Go to shibuya, say hi to the dog (you'll understand once you are there, great story.)

Go to harajuku, it's ground zero for the japanese schoolgirl trends.

Go to akhibara to see all of the new electronics that won't be here for 2 years.

Go to tsukiji fish market at 3 in the morning. Unbelieveable.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Plus, spend the night just riding the subway. Every station has its own song. Pretty cool.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Definitely get some real ramen. You deserve to try something other than the Top Noodle junk. As Austin_Bike mentioned, tonkatsu, or better yet, tonkatsudon is also delicious. The food is a strong point there -- be sure to get as much as you can handle.

Austin has the basic tourist thing down, those are all awesome places to check out. Temples and shrines are pretty interesting as well (at least, I thought so). If you feel as though you're up to it, an onsen (public bath) is a great place to relax, so long as you're not too uncomfortable being around naked old men :twitch:.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i love tonkatsu as much as the next guy, but it's actually kind of the equivalent of fast food in japan...

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
i love tonkatsu as much as the next guy, but it's actually kind of the equivalent of fast food in japan...
Unless you've been to tonkatsu tonki in the meguro area.

Actually, I forgot all about the cafeterias. You'll see lots of lunch counters when you can get fast food. There is a vending machine by the door, you select the food you want, pay for it in the machine, and it spits out the tickets. Then you sit at the counter and give them your tickets, they cook your food.

Also, keep an eye out for the sushi conveyor belts. I have had them in hong kong and I am sure they are in tokyo as well. You just grab things off the belt and write them down on a piece of paper in front of you. Then when you leave you give them the slip of paper and you pay by what you ate. The plates are usually color coded.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
we are getting JR passes too, I hear that can be confusing to say the least

one of my goals is to find a crazy high tech arcade
I am also trying to spend a day riding around tokyo or osaka with fire department

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
There are 2 railway systems, JR and Metro. I only did route passes when I was down there, so I don't know about how day/week passes work.

I recommend googling tokyo metro map to see if it is the metro or JR lines that you want. JR are typically the dashed lines.

As for the arcade, shijuku is your best spot, shibuya would be my second guess on that, but it typically has more bars.