Quantcast

going to look at a jetta today

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
2002 1.8T 24000 miles..... I've never been super keen on jettas, but
I want something zippy, comfy for my long commute, 4 door, and decent on gas. I can't think anything else that fits the bill.... a WRX would do too, but they aren't terribly fuel efficient, and they are hard to come by.

am I making a mistake?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
splat said:
what happened to the last submarine/boat anchor ?

I'm keeping Katrina....she seems ok. The tranny works perfectly now. Has a ton of warranty left on it. I've looked myself for any water damage inside, and I can't find anything.....so I've decided to roll the dice and keep it. My wife and I really like it....

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
jettas are nice cars if your getting it for good price and you can trust that it has been maintained, i would get it. I prefer the diesel myself

splat

Nam I am
MMike said:
I'm keeping Katrina....she seems ok. The tranny works perfectly now. Has a ton of warranty left on it. I've looked myself for any water damage inside, and I can't find anything.....so I've decided to roll the dice and keep it. My wife and I really like it....
Glad to hear that is working out.

so you named it Katrina , I like it :thumb:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
i've got an 03 1.8t 5spd. 'zippy' is a pretty good word for it. you have my full support.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
chick car! woohoo. my only real complaint with them is back seat room. other things to watch out for: power windows, and coilpacks on the engine.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
MMike said:
2002 1.8T 24000 miles..... I've never been super keen on jettas, but
I want something zippy, comfy for my long commute, 4 door, and decent on gas. I can't think anything else that fits the bill.... a WRX would do too, but they aren't terribly fuel efficient, and they are hard to come by.

am I making a mistake?
Jetta? I didn't know you weer a sorority girl.

Actually if it is a diesel, they get outstanding mileage.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
MMike said:
yes yes...girl car. I have to make up for the Liberty's absence somehow....

Get a roxy sticker for the back. That'll make it WAY more manly.

Jettas are quick cars. Ultimate yuppie car though.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
My Jetta has been the best car I've ever owned. Super dependable and fairly economical. Yes, they are quick and handle well too. Lots of fun to drive. Girly, I don't think so! Black with black leather and a black Yakima rack on top does not say girly!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Veee-Arrr-Sechs. Why don't you get one of those? Eh? Faster.

Almost bought one a couple months ago...it was GREEN :o

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
've owned a 95 and a 96 Jetta and a 97 A4 1.8T. I liked all these cars. The Jettas were solid cars and took the beating I gave them. The Audi drove veeery smoothly and was a sleek looking car. I endorse both.

As far as being "girly," I just don't see it. It's a solid, well built car with practicality and sportiness. I also liked that the back seats folded down in the VWs.

D

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
This isnt a Jetta but it is under the topic of a VW. This is my friends car that he picked up early December. Check it out.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Well there's always something ain't there?

I drove it. It's nice. It's decently quick. Clean. Doesn't reek of cigarettes (which is rare in Quebec). Low miles, extended warranty, he has all the maintenance receipts...... but it has a good sized dent in the trunk lid. He says he parked it and he found it like that when he came back. In my expert opinion it could be repaired for somewhere between $300-$400. It also needs tires in the spring. He's got it on snow tires now.....he told me that the summers were pretty shot.

But he admitted to me that it's been for sale for over a month and if I don't buy it he's going to trade it at the dealer on Tuesday ....he's getting a BMW 740i (used). So basically I just need to offer him a little more that what a dealer would give him. I could have the dent repaired pretty easily myself.

But no leather, no sunroof...no leather steering wheel...which is a bummer. I hate plastic steering wheels.

But if I can low ball him somewhat I think I'll go for it. I need a car soon!

On a side note, I had a 1995 Jetta in Seattle for a while and did not care for it one bit. It was WAY slow...

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
blue said:
4 cyl or VR6?
The turbo's are nice - Standard or Auto? You def get a lot more zip with the manual .. the 2.slowww engine is a bit not zippy.

The one downside to jettas are there cost.. EVERYthing is more expensive .. batteries, keys ect. They drive nice - handle well in the snow -- but I think they are overpriced. I have a toyota now .. and love it :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
lonewolfe said:
My Jetta has been the best car I've ever owned. Super dependable and fairly economical. Yes, they are quick and handle well too. Lots of fun to drive. Girly, I don't think so! Black with black leather and a black Yakima rack on top does not say girly!
I second, i got my jetta last may when i got out of school 2003 Vr6 6spd, not a problem yet knock on wood:

Attachments

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
MMike said:
On a side note, I had a 1995 Jetta in Seattle for a while and did not care for it one bit. It was WAY slow...
I had a 94' all through college in north west PA (aka the snowbelt) pair of steelies with some burly snow tires, racks all over the place, and dropped about an inch. That thing was a tank, i got plowed in so many times and it just busted through drifts. I miss the piece, should have kept it as a beater and got an s4.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I was about 5 secs from getting the esssss pho in negaro blue :drool:, but i realized it didnt make sense at this point (and i think a turbo was about to go)...figured id wait 4 years and get the new pho...

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
I don't understand bashing H3s and what not then buying a nice little girl car like the Jetta. Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Maybe cuz an H3 is a huge wanna be gas guzzling hunk of crap and the jetta is at least fuel efficient?

Seriously, if you need a bad ass offroad vehicle, get an hummv from surplus. If not, get a friggin' corolla.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
gschuette said:
I don't understand bashing H3s and what not then buying a nice little girl car like the Jetta. Whatever floats your boat I suppose.
You have a tiny penis, and are probably a repressed homosexual.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
lonewolfe said:
Don't worry, a Jetta is not a girl's car. A MX-5 or a Rav 4 on the other hand...