Quantcast

going to look at a jetta today

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
Transcend said:
Maybe cuz an H3 is a huge wanna be gas guzzling hunk of crap and the jetta is at least fuel efficient?

Seriously, if you need a bad ass offroad vehicle, get an hummv from surplus. If not, get a friggin' corolla.
H3's are sooooo underpowered - they will not even rent them if people are going up to the mountains.. WHAAA yeah that's right. Thats what I want a huge suv with NO power!!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
mcgowanc said:
H3's are sooooo underpowered - they will not even rent them if people are going up to the mountains.. WHAAA yeah that's right. Thats what I want a huge suv with NO power!!

Too bad he couldn't finish.:rolleyes:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
mcgowanc said:
Ya, I know. The new ones are built on a Durango body or something. So much for the hummer heritage huh? It's a frat boy, really want to look cool, vehicle. Only they look stupid as crap to boot.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
well this may be a bit too late but heres a repost of mine from an earlier VW Thread

IMO the MKIV totally distroyed VW/Audis reliablility. We had three of them in my family as well as three other friends with them
Wife's 02 20v GTI #1 -recalled ignition coils, coolant reservoir started to leak for no apparent reason, made probalby 2-3 other stops to dealer for other things. traded in for a new GTI after 30k. extremly pitted windsheild from normal road driving
Wife's 04 20v GTI #2 -radio cuts in and out, hardly ever can keep reception. windsheild washer reservoir has a crack in it. car currently at 17k miles
my 01 20v jetta -extremely pitted windsheild. had car in a different area than other two so roads are not an issue. got rid of it because I didnt want to deal with the ignition pack thing
friends 00 12v jetta -window regulators failed x3
other friends 01 20v WOB jetta - window regulator failed x2, above coil pack issue.
other friends 01 20v passat -coil pack thing
these five cars were just a microcosm of the A4 and B5.5 platforms. These problems were wide spread throughout the entire range of VAG. I loved driving my jetta and wifes gtis, but we will never buy another VAG car again.
girl on my soccer team's 04 24v- window regulator. stereo craps out on her. She has it in so often the service manager is on a first name basis with her

A4 VWs are hit and miss. I loved mine, but because of reliability issues with every other one Ive come across, Id never buy another one again. Good luck with it. If you got a good one, youll love it, but if you get a bad one, youll want to kick your own ass then drive it into a river

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
luken8r said:
these five cars were just a microcosm of the A4 and B5.5 platforms. These problems were wide spread throughout the entire range of VAG. I loved driving my jetta and wifes gtis, but we will never buy another VAG car again.
And since people experience may vary I'll add mine:

01 B5 passat V6. Bought new, now 70 000 miles on it.

Virtually ZERO problem except this:

Windshield fluid resevoir had a tube disconnected at some point. fixed for free.

Tiptronic something broke a ~ 60 000: would shift in auto but not in +/- mode. It was a magnet that fell of. $120 to fix labor included

Considering I beat the hell out of this car on and OFF road, I am rather super satisfied with the reliability. I'll buy another one for sure (actually probably an audi all-road but yeah a VAG product)!

(oh I also ripped off the plastic sound-proofing below the front bumper but that's because I pinned it accross a fairly deep stream on some beach being afraid to get stuck and I hit the back side of the river bed super hard... i guess you can avoid that using common sense ;) )

Here is a pic of me lacking common sense (again).. 2001 on my way to the Mammoth NCS. Car was 5 month old:

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I'll take credit for Katrina. Is the Jetta the same drivetrain as the Passat? My sister-in-law had mostly good luck with her Passat untill the engine seized at ~80K.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
I have an '01 Wolfsburg edition (5 speed manual, 1.8T, sport suspension - whatever that means). I absolutely love the thing. Quick is definetely the word for it. I haven't had a single engine/tranny problem with it, just wheel/fuild maintenance. It handles amazing, super comfy, reliable, AMAZING on gas when on the highway, and has enough power to be pretty fun.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
luken8r said:
lots of bad stuff

Yeah..... The guy claims it has treated him well.....and because I am a trusting moron, I believe him.

He didn't really seem to have an axe to grind in selling the car. He was going to sell it to me or trade it in for a BMW. He didn't seem to care about the $$ too much. I guess we'll see...

I ran a Carfax. Came up clean. He's the original owner. Did you know these things are built in Mexico? eeeeeep.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
I drove the GTi to work today. My wife didnt want to switch cars in teh driveway and took my Jeep because it was the first in line.
The heat sucks.
The turbo in the cold is nice though :D

If there havent been too many (any) problems with it as of yet, you probably got a good one. Have fun with it.
FYI: If the car has been driven hard, the turbo may need to be replaced around 70-80k miles. That seems to be the typical life span

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Andy_B said:
The only "H3" thing on that is the logo, and the yuppy red neck that is driving it.
They claim the motor is a 'production' based V8. Does that count?

Did anybody else watch the Dakar stuff on OLN? Could have been better, but at least they showed it.