Quantcast

++Good Friday Morning Monkeys++

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Morning! How is everyone today? Anybody ride last night?

I went and picked my sons up after school last night, took Liam to Spring Hockey League practice and then played some Bubble Hockey with Connor - He was Team USA and I was the dreaded Russians.

Grabbed some pizza with them after practice, went home, walked the dogs, met Laura for a beer after her spin class and talked with some people who own a small business running bike tours in Italy! They are a husband and wife business couple and they are both getting Richards Sachs' road bikes for this upcoming cycyling tour season! :eek: :eek: :drool: :drool:

Sounds like they might even have a better gig than Biggins.

What's everyone got in store for the weekend?

Me - well I've got my kids so it'll be a blast. :thumb:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I thought I had something interesting to say, but I forget it.

I did wake up at 4:30 for some unknown reason......I am definitely looking forward to daylight savings

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yo MickeyG! I actually took the Titus up and down Old Meadow Plain road a few times last night. I rode for about 40 minutes....just enough to realize the $140 I spent on my bike's tune up did not fix the goddamn SKIPPING problem. :mad: Well, when I picked the bike up the head mechanic at the shop said it might still skip because the rear derailleur is slightly twisted. They did all they could for it, so now it looks like I need to buy a new rear derailleur. Why the hell is an XT derailleur so damn expensive? :rolleyes: I suppose I could have the LBS replace it, but I've given them enough of my money trying to fix that problem. I think I'll buy this one online.

Oh yeah, today is my three year anniversary at work. It's the longest I've been at one employer since graduating college (I left two jobs and "lost" another).

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Mornin.

I'm hoping to spend some time this weekend getting my road bike tweaked so I can ride it again. I want to start riding to work a couple of times a week - looks like that'll be most of the riding I do for a while, so I gotta get it in when I can.

Not much else exciting to report on. Working a half day Sunday... working on the cycle-cny website a bit today and/or tomorrow. Hope the rain holds off at least a little.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
Yo MickeyG! I actually took the Titus up and down Old Meadow Plain road a few times last night. I rode for about 40 minutes....just enough to realize the $140 I spent on my bike's tune up did not fix the goddamn SKIPPING problem. :mad: Well, when I picked the bike up the head mechanic at the shop said it might still skip because the rear derailleur is slightly twisted. They did all they could for it, so now it looks like I need to buy a new rear derailleur. Why the hell is an XT derailleur so damn expensive? :rolleyes:
Go the SRAM route BABS!!!, or I can pass along Echo's old XT derailleur to you and I could probably use your old beat up one to tension the chain on my SS.

Lemme know if you want the XT.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
Go the SRAM route BABS!!!, or I can pass along Echo's old XT derailleur to you and I could probably use your old beat up one to tension the chain on my SS.

Lemme know if you want the XT.
I didn't think SRAM derailleurs worked with XT trigger shifters. That's a mighty kind offer on the used derailluer, but I think I want a new one.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jacksonpt said:
NO... DON'T... shimano stuff is better... stick with the tried and true.

Don't listen to Jackson - Go SRAM.

Jackson am I going to have to come out to CNY to wrestle you and open up a can of whoop ass on you..you know I was recruited to play baseball for one of the top 5 SUNYAC college baseball teams in the state of NY back in the day. ;)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
I didn't think SRAM derailleurs worked with XT trigger shifters. That's a mighty kind offer on the used derailluer, but I think I want a new one.
SRAM X.9 and SRAM Triggers and don't look back baby! :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MMcG said:
I'll buy you a beer if you don't sue! I've already got enough attorney fees to pay! ;)
Well... I suppose I can let it slide this time. We'll call it "fair use".

Now that the weather is finally getting warmer, maybe I'll bring the Evil down to CT some time and we can go for a ride, and I'll take you up on that beer offer :)

Weekend should be fairly quiet, which will be nice. Do some grilling (even though it's supposed to rain). Maybe throw my road bike up on the stand and do a major overhaul to get it ready for the nice weather. It still needs new wheels, though :think: - anyone have a cheap set of road wheels they'd sell me? Or want to trade for a set of DH wheels?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
Try my X.9s and see what you think about them. I thought I love XT triggers too but these X.9s kick serious ass! :thumb:
ok. :)

Oh yeah....my weekend plans. I have a charity BOWLING event for work tomorrow. That's right, bowling. Other than that and my 9:00 PM hockey game Sunday, I've got no plans.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
ok. :)

Oh yeah....my weekend plans. I have a charity BOWLING event for work tomorrow. That's right, bowling. Other than that and my 9:00 PM hockey game Sunday, I've got no plans.
Is it Rock and Bowl or just regular bowling?

We went bowling a couple of Friday nights ago with my kids and Laura's kids and after 9:15 everything gets Neon and disco-balled out and they play some rockin tunes. It was pretty fun actually.

Lemme know when you want to try the X.9s - and also feel free to ask Echo, Psycle_on, MBC and others about the SRAM idea. :dancing:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
Cripes, I don't know if I need a short cage, medium cage, or long cage rear derailluer. I am such a bike part idiot. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure you need either a medium or long, but I'm a bike part doofus myself so take what I say with a huge grain of salt.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:
I wanted to try sram but the new bike came with all XT
If we end up getting together for a ride sometime, you are welcome to try my sram stuff. If you like it, I'd probably be willing to swap you my sram gear for your shimano stuff. or do you have the dual control pods?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
Cripes, I don't know if I need a short cage, medium cage, or long cage rear derailluer. I am such a bike part idiot. :rolleyes:
do you run a tripple in the front? if so, a short cage will be too short.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The cage length you need depends on how many rings you are running up front. The bigger the range you are shifting up front, the longer cage you should run. A lot of times you can get away with a medium cage with 3 rings up front though.

Jackson, not happy with your SRAM setup anymore?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
Is it Rock and Bowl or just regular bowling?

We went bowling a couple of Friday nights ago with my kids and Laura's kids and after 9:15 everything gets Neon and disco-balled out and they play some rockin tunes. It was pretty fun actually.

Lemme know when you want to try the X.9s - and also feel free to ask Echo, Psycle_on, MBC and others about the SRAM idea. :dancing:
The bowling event is actually country-themed, so I'll probably get stuck listening to "Achy Breaky Heart" a dozen times. :rolleyes: They also have the colored pin deal where you win prizes if you get a strike with colored pins in certain places. I'm actually looking forward to it. We challenge another department and the winner gets treated to a pizza party. We've spanked them the last two years.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Short cage = snappy shifting, less prone to damage. Usually used for DH/FR bikes who just run one or two chainrings.

Long cage = possibility of a wider gear spread since the derailleur takes up more chain slack. XC bikes.

Medium cage = somewhere in between... I ran a medium cage on a bike that had a 44t chainring and 34t cassette so I get the feeling that long cage is a little antiquated or possibly for XC nuts who run a 46t chainring..?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Echo said:
Jackson, not happy with your SRAM setup anymore?
eh, it's ok... just not what I expected/was hoping for. With my old shimano stuff, one push of the thumb would rip through 3 or 4 gears. With the X9s... one push=1 gear. I had gotten pretty good at ripping through gears... now I can't do it.

The sram stuff is definitely crisper shifter than my shimano stuff was, but the 1 gear at a time thing can be a pain.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
jacksonpt said:
do you run a tripple in the front? if so, a short cage will be too short.
Echo said:
The cage length you need depends on how many rings you are running up front. The bigger the range you are shifting up front, the longer cage you should run. A lot of times you can get away with a medium cage with 3 rings up front though.
I replaced my big ring up front with a bashring, so I am running a double (a small and a medium ring). So what do I need, yo?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I Are Baboon said:
I replaced my big ring up front with a bashring, so I am running a double (a small and a medium ring). So what do I need, yo?
You could get away with a short cage if you're running a 32/22 setup.

Medium cage would provide you with more flexibility if you ever decided to bump up to a 36t chainring though.

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
Went out and did some street riding last night, but nothing too cool to speak of...About 1 hour of curb jumping. Just finished putting the X-9 triggers and rear derailleur on my RM, and man...they are sooo much nicer than the comparable Shimano. I really think that Shimano may have shot itself in the foot with this "dual control" stuff....
but thats just me.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Echo said:
Jackson: I can get 3 gears with one thumb push, I don't understand :confused:
interesting. For me (X9 triggers), it takes a full thumb push to hit the index for 1 gear. I gotta come out and visit Victor soon - maybe I'll bring the 575 and have him look at it. It's been that way since day 1 though...

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
MMcG said:
Morning Tigg!
Hey there! I'm home today w/ my daughter. Thinking about going to see Robots at the movies. Has anybody seen it yet? I have a club meeting at the LBS tonight to hammer out the details for our "spring event". Hopefully I can get the finalized details posted up on RM soon in case anyone is interested in attending. Tomorrow night is a my wife and I are throwing this huge bash for my mom-in-law's 60th birthday. Rented out the local brew pub for a few hours. Should be a rager! :thumb:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
jacksonpt said:
interesting. For me (X9 triggers), it takes a full thumb push to hit the index for 1 gear. I gotta come out and visit Victor soon - maybe I'll bring the 575 and have him look at it. It's been that way since day 1 though...
Lemme know when you're headed up, I'll bring the Blur down and we can do a direct compare.

J

JRB

I like my XTR shifters WAY BETTER than the SRAM stuff I have. I have X9/X0 in a tool box. I just prefer rapid rise.

Good morning.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Man I am just amazed that there are people out there who think Shimano stuff shifts better. The first time I experienced SRAM shifting I knew I would NEVER go back.