Quantcast

++Good Friday Morning Monkeys++

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Echo said:
Man I am just amazed that there are people out there who think Shimano stuff shifts better. The first time I experienced SRAM shifting I knew I would NEVER go back.
Now all you need are those new SGD grips and you are set for life Echo. :)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Echo said:
Man I am just amazed that there are people out there who think Shimano stuff shifts better. The first time I experienced SRAM shifting I knew I would NEVER go back.
My Sram gear definitely shifts better... but the need to go one gear at a time sucks. Perhaps it's an issue with my gear though.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
morning all.
Rode 2.5 hours yesterday. Went through a stream bed that turned out to be deep enough to be a swimming hole, bike needed a bath anyway, just glad i didn't fall over. I'm home from work already, boss told me to put my uniform on or go home, so i did. Leaving for Montreal tomorrow for a weekend bachelor party, should be a blast.

I upgraded to an sram x.9 derailleur and x.7 trigger shifters, let me just say "butta". Awesome upgrade. I love it. And if I were you guys i wouldn't start any crap with MMcG, he did more trail maintenance last year than all of you.....

echo the movie quote is from Dogma

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning! Supposed to get torrential downpours this weekend :( Guess I won't be getting as much outside fun in. SMBA Mtg. tonight and Snowmobile Club party tomorrow means a whole lotta beers for me :D

On the whole Shimano vs. SRAM..I have Shimano and they have worked fine, but my husband will only run SRAM and loves it. We're probably going to switch my XC bike over to SRAM because I am in need of a new rear der. and the shifters I have are crap. I am also eager to try 1:1.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Echo said:
The cage length you need depends on how many rings you are running up front. The bigger the range you are shifting up front, the longer cage you should run. A lot of times you can get away with a medium cage with 3 rings up front though.

Jackson, not happy with your SRAM setup anymore?
i thought it had to do w/ yr cassette size? road ders are very short, but the chainrings are typically much larger than MTB front rings (conversely, the road cassettes are much smaller. the "corn cob" if you will).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
back on topic, i killed my bike in spin class last night. i think the bearings finally toasted, as i getting a lot of clunking noises and the flywheel was moving laterally. at least i got most of the workout in before it became a real nuisance.

gotta get ready for otis' b-day tomorrow. am selling some old furniture and baby stuff too, so i'll have some pocket $ for play.

been busy @ work, so it will be nice to relax (although i think the weather's gonna suck, eh?)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
back on topic, i killed my bike in spin class last night. i think the bearings finally toasted, as i getting a lot of clunking noises and the flywheel was moving laterally. at least i got most of the workout in before it became a real nuisance.

gotta get ready for otis' b-day tomorrow. am selling some old furniture and baby stuff too, so i'll have some pocket $ for play.

been busy @ work, so it will be nice to relax (although i think the weather's gonna suck, eh?)

Major rain in the forecast for CT at least - not sure about the Boston area though.

Keep working on a babysitter for Monkeyfest! :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
TreeSaw said:
Have you tried their new front der.?
Yes and no. I bought one last week but haven't put it on yet. I have had good luck with my XTR ones so I'm a little nervous about changing.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Snacks said:
Yes and no. I bought one last week but haven't put it on yet. I have had good luck with my XTR ones so I'm a little nervous about changing.
I would love to know what you think of it (instillation and operation) when you get it mounted, up and running.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Morning Mark.

It's my day off, and did some straightening up in my room last night and converted my bike back to 9 speed. Have some Motorhead blasting right now.

Have a friend coming over for the weekend.

Forgot how easy it was to install the drivetrain.

J

JRB

Mark - let me think on the shifter and derailleur. I just like rapid rise. Sram doesn't shift bad, but they don't make rapid rise either.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
TreeSaw said:
I would love to know what you think of it (instillation and operation) when you get it mounted, up and running.
Sure! I'll let you know. I should have it running before my first XC at the end of April.

You should try the SRAM shifters and rear d. I was worried about learning someing new, but after a couple rides shifting with my thumb became second nature.

The only bad thing is when I crash I seem to land on my shifters :dead:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Echo said:
Obscure movie quote:

"What gear are you in?"

"GEAR?!"
Blah blah.... too easy.

I have SRAM triggers and gripshift on my bikes. I can't really say that it's better or worse, but I like both, so take it for what it's worth.

Good morning. I'm going apartment hunting with a friend tomorrow so half my day will be effed. I should, however, be able to fit in a good run or bike before we go searching. I'll have to put in a couple hours at work on Saturday, so I might just have to work a little into the evening, but it could be worse. On Sunday I'm going for a road ride, a small run/jog, and a dh shuttle... I'm f'n stoked.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TreeSaw said:
T, Rob (Haystack Calhoun) has a SRAM Front Der. on his Titus. Ask him about it tonight.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Happy Friday everyone!!!!!!!!

Went swimming this morning for an hour, that always gets me feeling good. I secretly raced the guy in the lane next to me, but I'm not sure he knew it. You can take me out of bike racing, but you can't take the racing out of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
stosh said:
PS. These avatars are scaring me!!!
me too. kinda hard to tell who is posting what :mad: . i auditioned for a brass quintet last night. i hope i get in, since i really want more playing time than my community orchestra is giving me and don't want to join another one of that level...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Toshi said:
me too. kinda hard to tell who is posting what :mad: . i auditioned for a brass quintet last night. i hope i get in, since i really want more playing time than my community orchestra is giving me and don't want to join another one of that level...
thats great man!
Is that your main job playing in bands?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
stosh said:
thats great man!
Is that your main job playing in bands?
that'd be nice! but no, playing is a very small part of my life these days, just a community orchestra and whatever else i can scrounge up on the side (easter/xmas stuff are standard)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Snacks said:
Sure! I'll let you know. I should have it running before my first XC at the end of April.

You should try the SRAM shifters and rear d. I was worried about learning someing new, but after a couple rides shifting with my thumb became second nature.

The only bad thing is when I crash I seem to land on my shifters :dead:
I actually run trigger shifters/rapid fire and have tried grip shift (what the man runs) and didn't like it as well. I just haven't made the switch yet...:think:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Toshi said:
Good luck! I wish I was playing more...maybe I need to re-assign my priorities :think: Then I would find myself dropping 10K on a new flute and less $ on my bikes......not sure about that ;)

Mad Dog

Chimp
Feb 23, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I rode SRAM for years and I have to admit that Shimano is better. Chain and cog wear is notorious for causing skipping-if your mech. can't figure it out you may need a new one. Cable tension is the key, unless your hanger is bent.