Quantcast

~~Good Thursday Morning!!~~

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
MMcG said:
I fear that I will flip over and break my back!
if you keep your seat extra low you can always jump off the back.. and if you get in trouble just grab the rear brake a little and you will bring the front down

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
W0rd. Just learned we have free food passes for the game too. Rawk on.

I'm researching Kona's Kikapu line online to see if it's something I'd be looking at purchasing.

And what techniques do you all use to wheelie? I need to do something thrilling today.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
stosh said:
Do you have one of the "Sky boxes" if so they rock. Also you don't really go to the Renegades games to WATCH the team play, you go for all the other stuff going on and the cheap beer and hot dogs. :) If I remember correctly they had kick arse fries there....
I don't know where we're sitting, but I do know that we each got 2 food and drink coupons. Rock on!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
McGRP01 said:
Morning. I'm off from work today, so I'm doing the usual bill paying, errand running, etc.. I've got to pick my daughter up from daycare at noon and take her to a birthday party. Fun. Tonight my parents are coming over for dinner. Suppose I should decide what we're having at some point. Other than that, I've got to give the DH rig a once over before I head to Jiminy Peak tomorrow. Can't wait...I haven't been on the big bike in over a month! Should be a blast, I'll try to remember to take some pics!!
Only a month :(

All season for me (I won't count my one attempt at West Memorial Day weekend :sneaky: )

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
TreeSaw said:
I use clipless too :think: and don't use my brakes either. I can do them with flats or clipless, but I am so used to my clipless pedals now it's weird riding without them.
TreeSaw said:
MMcG - wheelies aren't bad once you get the hang of them...I don't have a problem doing them, but I can't ride them for more than a pedal or two
no offense, treesaw, but that's not what i would consider riding a wheelie. i'm talking about being able to sustain it for a while, so you are constantly adjusting (either more pedal pressure to get the front up, or a slight tap of the brakes to bring the front down). there are plenty of people who can ride wheelies clipless, but i doubt they learned that way. imo, you've got to get comfortable in that tipping zone (ie, like if you lean back in a chair, and you are about to go over backwards). as you learn, you probably will go off the back a few t. using flats is an easy way to bail if you don't jam the rear brake on fast enough.

anyway, it's all just goofing around on a bike. :thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
splat said:
I'm getting a new fork ??? ? way cool wicked pissa ! :cool: :cool: :cool:
Yeah you're getting it. But you have to give it to MMcG.
Do you think you have room?
If not then I'll ship it to him or something.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
rob, put yr saddle down a few inches from where you normally would, throw on a helmet and some flat pedals.

change yr gear to ~middle ring and 3rd or 4th cog from the top, and pedal at a walking pace or so (adjust the gearing accordingly so that yr cadence feels natural when pedalling).

while keeping yr finger over the rear brake, move forward a bit over the bike, then at yr powerstroke on the pedal, shift your weight back and pull back on the bars. if you pull too hard, the bike will try to flip backward. not hard enough, and the front wheel will not get off the ground enough. riding a wheelie is just finding the sweet spot between the two. front too low? pedal a bit harder. about to flip backwards? tap the rear brake. because that sweet spot is small region, you have to make small adjustments. grabbing too much brake will slam the front, and yr wheelie is over. it's all about getting comfortable at that tipping point. for most people it's an uncomfortable feeling (see my "tipping backwards in a chair" comment earlier).

once you've got the fore/aft balance down, you may also need to adjust side-to-side. this is done by sticking yr knees out one way or the other, if you find you are drifting to the left or right.

like i said, i can't ride them too well or long (probably up to a dozen pedal strokes as my best), but this should give you a general idea. wheelie experts are welcome to chime in if i've gotten it wrong.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Good advice on the wheelies, thanks. I think, from recent experience, I'm going to keep both tires on the ground for the time being :)

The only good that came out of that crash was that my shifter pod was busted = time to upgrade! After a quick ebay search, I went from Diore to XT for $65 a set. I was shooting for LX because I know there isn't much difference, but this was a great price and I couldn't turn 'em down. Now, it's just a matter of putting them on... Is this a difficult job?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
Good advice on the wheelies, thanks. I think, from recent experience, I'm going to keep both tires on the ground for the time being :)

The only good that came out of that crash was that my shifter pod was busted = time to upgrade! After a quick ebay search, I went from Diore to XT for $65 a set. I was shooting for LX because I know there isn't much difference, but this was a great price and I couldn't turn 'em down. Now, it's just a matter of putting them on... Is this a difficult job?
We'll set it up so you can swing by my place and we'll throw them on for ya.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
robdamanii said:
W0rd. Just learned we have free food passes for the game too. Rawk on.

I'm researching Kona's Kikapu line online to see if it's something I'd be looking at purchasing.

And what techniques do you all use to wheelie? I need to do something thrilling today.

being you skipped training wheels, I say screw wheelies and learn nose wheelies

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
morning all! Quiet night last night since my arm got screwed up from donating blood. My left arm looks like a junkie's. I'm angry about it but the pain has pretty much gone away. MMcG, we still riding tonight? Scott wants to join us.

Rob- If you're looking at the kikapu line you should check out the haro's too. I should have let you ride mine this weekend. They're about the same price as the kikapu. The extreme X.1 is actually cheaper, i think.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Crazy Sweeper said:
morning all! Quiet night last night since my arm got screwed up from donating blood. My left arm looks like a junkie's. I'm angry about it but the pain has pretty much gone away. MMcG, we still riding tonight? Scott wants to join us.

Rob- If you're looking at the kikapu line you should check out the haro's too. I should have let you ride mine this weekend. They're about the same price as the kikapu. The extreme X.1 is actually cheaper, i think.
Sweep not sure on the details yet as to whether it'll be road or mtb.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
splat said:
you should let them try it , and then help them with the fine tuning. this way they can learn how to take care/repair there own bikes.
Thats my point.... I could probably do it at the trail head some day.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
stosh said:
We'll set it up so you can swing by my place and we'll throw them on for ya.
Sound like a plan! Thanks :) We could do it together and you could show me how. Next week is pretty open and we're going to ride anyway (assuming my ribs still don't feel like they're on fire).

Splat: I sneezed on the way to work today...YOOOOOW!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mornin,
I'm headed off to work to cook for some lunch for some folks that have no idea how good of a lunch they are going to eat.

After that I'll bring pops some lunch while he battles this new virus on the corporate server system.

Then, maybe I'll drag the GF out for a lazy for me, hard for her, ride.

Then again, maybe we'll just go to the lake and watch the dog swim after the ducks.

Decisions, decisions.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
MMcG said:
Sweep not sure on the details yet as to whether it'll be road or mtb.
no prob just email or PM me to let me know. I can always ride down here with Scott.

Would like to try somewhere new this weekend if the weather is nice. Not sure where though. Any ideas? Maybe if I could find some other monkeys and we could meet in the middle somewhere. I'd drive a couple hours.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Crazy Sweeper said:
no prob just email or PM me to let me know. I can always ride down here with Scott.

Would like to try somewhere new this weekend if the weather is nice. Not sure where though. Any ideas? Maybe if I could find some other monkeys and we could meet in the middle somewhere. I'd drive a couple hours.
I'll try and keep you posted but so far IAB and MBC haven't replied to my emails.

Check with IAB and MBC I know they plan to ride this weekend.

This weekend is a kids weekend for me.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Crazy Sweeper said:

I'm actually looking at the King Kikipu at around 26 bills. I'm impressed by the way it's outfitted, but riding it will be all the difference. And for something at that price, I want something that feels as natural and familiar as holding my junk to take a leak.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
Sound like a plan! Thanks :) We could do it together and you could show me how. Next week is pretty open and we're going to ride anyway (assuming my ribs still don't feel like they're on fire).

Splat: I sneezed on the way to work today...YOOOOOW!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
It probably wouldn't be great to try and squeeze a ride in after. There wouldnt' be enough time especially if we are going to take our time and you guys can learn how. Maybe you could just come over for dinner one night instead.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
robdamanii said:
I'm actually looking at the King Kikipu at around 26 bills. I'm impressed by the way it's outfitted, but riding it will be all the difference. And for something at that price, I want something that feels as natural and familiar as holding my junk to take a leak.
Satan says get an MKIII.

You should test ride mine sometime.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
I think Zinn and we have a meeting.

Beth, your shifters shift fine when I checked it this morning, so you'll be good to ride until the new ones come in.

And to the general populace...How's the Marzocchi MZ comp for a reasonably priced fork?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
robdamanii said:
I think Zinn and we have a meeting.

Beth, your shifters shift fine when I checked it this morning, so you'll be good to ride until the new ones come in.

And to the general populace...How's the Marzocchi MZ comp for a reasonably priced fork?
If you buy a new fork for your existing bike I may be in a position to take the old one off your hands.
Any idea how much travel yours has?