Quantcast

~~Good Thursday Morning!!~~

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Been riding ever night after work even when the temp is 100+ like it has been this week. Local trail is 10 miles long and I've been steadily building up my speed and stamina.

Gotta say, that those of you who have not tried a 29" wheeled bike are missing out! I don't think there is a 26"er that can keep up with a '9er in the fast twisty sections of trail. The bike accelerates like a bat out of hell.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Been riding ever night after work even when the temp is 100+ like it has been this week. Local trail is 10 miles long and I've been steadily building up my speed and stamina.

Gotta say, that those of you who have not tried a 29" wheeled bike are missing out! I don't think there is a 26"er that can keep up with a '9er in the fast twisty sections of trail. The bike accelerates like a bat out of hell.
I rode with a guy on a 29'er a few weeks ago. He constantly was telling me how much better he was rolling over things. Of course he had to hold off on his commentary until I stopped to wait up for him.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
N8 said:

I think that's more the Racer-X than the 29'er. 29'ers are generally slower to accelerate than 26'ers. I'm really starting to think about a racer-x 29'er........that's dangerous.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Reactor said:
I think that's more the Racer-X than the 29'er. 29'ers are generally slower to accelerate than 26'ers. I'm really starting to think about a racer-x 29'er........that's dangerous.
yeah, that's a good point. larger tires/wheels have more mass and a longer radius, and should be harder, not easier, to accelerate.

N8, don't believe the hype.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Westy said:
I rode with a guy on a 29'er a few weeks ago. He constantly was telling me how much better he was rolling over things. Of course he had to hold off on his commentary until I stopped to wait up for him.

Could be that you are in better shape than him?

Last weekend at a local trail, my buddy rode his 26" Racer-X then switched to my 29"er (both sized large) and he stuned/amazed at how the bike rolled/accelerated/climbed. I think this was a much better compairson... same rider, same frame geometry, same trail...

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
narlus said:
ok. give me some hints of what sort of stuff you like and i'll go from there.
I have started exploring punk music, so something along those lines would be good. From what I gather you know a little something about this genre of music, right? ;)

The Cheese

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
For sure.

Have a great ride tonight! You're riding at that trail close to your house?
No I'll be at Stewart I think. Not sure though.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Reactor said:

You can accelerate through turns like you can't imagine...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
I'm jealous!
are you getting out of work early?
Nah I should be able to cram a ride in.

I'm riding my HT with a nice new set of bars and a nice new Salsa stem from Mmcg oh and a nice new Manitou Mars coil fork from Phil.

I can't wait! I'm gonna see how much climbing I can cram in today.
I found a great new (ridden it before but I just rediscovered it) trail!!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
stosh said:
Nah I should be able to cram a ride in.

I'm riding my HT with a nice new set of bars and a nice new Salsa stem from Mmcg oh and a nice new Manitou Mars coil fork from Phil.

I can't wait! I'm gonna see how much climbing I can cram in today.
I found a great new (ridden it before but I just rediscovered it) trail!!
Ooh, let me know how the new parts are. I wish I could join you!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
You can accelerate through turns like you can't imagine...
I could see how you can roll things better but accelerate faster. Everything else being equal the larger wheels have much more inertia and would make acceleration slower. Or are you just saying you can hit corners faster therefore giving you a faster angular acceleration? If you ask me you just have a kickass pimped ride, that will make a bike feel better no matter the wheel size.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
Ooh, let me know how the new parts are. I wish I could join you!
I'm amazed at how well I can ride on my HT. I just need to get it some new rubber....

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Westy said:
I could see how you can roll things better but accelerate faster. Everything else being equal the larger wheels have much more inertia and would make acceleration slower. Or are you just saying you can hit corners faster therefore giving you a faster angular acceleration? If you ask me you just have a kickass pimped ride, that will make a bike feel better no matter the wheel size.

No, you can accelerate in turns where someone riding a 26" can't.

All things being equal, you can beat a 26" through fast twisty turns everytime.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
No, you can accelerate in turns where someone riding a 26" can't.

All things being equal, you can beat a 26" through fast twisty turns everytime.
This isn't adding up for me. Ship me your bike so I can test ride it.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Good morning! Busy morning here thus far! Next period I have copy duties too so that's sure to drag on...I better have some coffee at some point or I may end up snoozing on the copier :) Went out to dinner with the family last night so that was uneventful. Tonight I will be out for a ride probably at my house, unless I can squeeze something else in...really depends on what time I get out of school (we have a BORING meeting afterschool).

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
Mornin' all.

One more class today then it is the dreaded "parents back to school night"!!!! That means I need to be in school from 7-9 and shoot the breeze with kids parents for 10 mins a stretch. What a great way to spend a night!!!!!! (Someone please kill me)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SuzyCreamcheese said:
I have started exploring punk music, so something along those lines would be good. From what I gather you know a little something about this genre of music, right? ;)

The Cheese
no problem. i've got my home-brewed 2cdr punk rock explosion all set. a good mix of old school ('77- '79) and some hardcore ('80-'83 or so). PM me yr mailing address and i'll get yr set out when i mail DRB's cds which i owe him.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
bluebug32 said:
It was actually the other way around for Rob and me. He was completely obsessed with paintball when I met him. It wasn't my thing and I finally convinced him to try riding. Now he love it and I don't have to worry about him coming home dotted with purple welts anymore
:p
Not to mention I don't have the TIME to play anymore. Damn this thing called school.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Morning :monkey:faces.

I'm avoiding convocation right now, doing somet things around the house and such. I just wish I could not have to go back for cell and tissue at 2, but them's the breaks. I got my car cleaned out, my little spot for working on my bike put together in the basement, and my room cleaned up a bit, so I'm doing well.

Beautiful day here. I have to decide if I want to study or ride for a bit. Hrm....

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Senôr Lopez said:
Mornin' all.

One more class today then it is the dreaded "parents back to school night"!!!! That means I need to be in school from 7-9 and shoot the breeze with kids parents for 10 mins a stretch. What a great way to spend a night!!!!!! (Someone please kill me)
LOL!!! I know what you mean. Just be glad you only have to do it once a year. I have back to school night on Tuesday (elementary schools) and on Wedensday of next week and ours is from 6:30-9pm :mumble:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
It's what we call "anecdotal" evidence.

N8 - get the stopwatch out and show us data (with a 3rd party riding the bike, please)...........

;)
If N8 said it makes him faster through the corners, as in this bikes specific geometry suits the way he rides etc I'd say cool. The "this bike is faster in corners" argument raises my bull**** flag.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
plus, what's the crown -> axle height on that maverick fork? the 29" wheel's gonna raise the front end up anyway, and i can't imagine that fork helps offset it any.

a higher front end isn't conducive to better cornering.

N8, you are under a strong, delusional spell. physics is beating yr arse.