Quantcast

~~Good Thursday Morning!!~~

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
How is everybody today?

Well I have my bikes loaded up today. Today is "Take a first timer" day. I'm taking a friend I boarded with all winter biking today. I have my IronHorse MKIII all set up with a set of flats for pedals. When I take first timers I like to give them a ride on a Cadilac.

:)

Hope ya all have a great day!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Its storming like hell right now. Although, it doesnt matter, cause I cant have my wheel until friday, so its not like I can go ride...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I have the sense today is going to be crappy. The signs have not been good so far.

I do have my bike and stuff ready to get in a ride at "Area 51", some secret new trails that we have been building for sometime now.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Mornin Stosh. I'm really dragging today - yesterday's ride is taking it's toll on me this morning. As such, today will be a rest day (unfortunatly on the nicest day of the year).

Got a ton of work done yesterday so today is kind of a get-reorganized-and-figure-out-where-things-stand kind of a day. I have to meet with a few people to see if projects are still on track, that kind of thing.

Not much exciting though I'm afraid.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Morning all! Rode last night with one of the semi-pros on my DH team. Did pretty well considering I haven't been on a bike in weeks. It's a different animal riding with those guys though, it's sprint...stop & rest...sprint...stop & rest...had a great time and my legs felt strong. Tonight Treesaw and Sq-Earl are coming over to my place for dinner and to break in the RM Pint Glasses. We'll make sure to get some pics! :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Good morning! Had a good dinner with the family last night. Today I am planning on doing some yardwork with my little monster by my side. I've already worked out a bit this morning and am getting ready to do some pilates before the baby wakes up. Tonight we're heading to McGRP01 for dinner. What to make for dessert....:think: Any suggestions? That is all for now.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Mornin' all. No riding today unless I decide to bend my chainring back into a reasonable shape. But I'll be out building some djs for a couple of hours today later on to make up for it.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
stosh said:
When I take first timers I like to give them a ride on a Cadilac.
I just know there's a joke in there somewhere.......:rofl:

It's been a week now since my knee surgery and I'm starting to walk like a normal human again. I went for a walk yesterday with the dog on the trails to get things stretched out, and that went pretty good--although I was really sore when I got home. Can't wait to get back on the bike again......it taunts me at night when I try to sleep.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
morning all,

got a great ride in last night. scouted some areas that we are going to build up some stunts and stuff on our regular trails.

It was awesome weather last night and should be nice again tonight, so I may go out again and hit a couple of intervals on the hills. It is supposed to get ugly this weekend so I better get my riding in while it is nice.

Have a great day Yinz guys!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
brungeman said:
morning all,

got a great ride in last night. scouted some areas that we are going to build up some stunts and stuff on our regular trails.

It was awesome weather last night and should be nice again tonight, so I may go out again and hit a couple of intervals on the hills. It is supposed to get ugly this weekend so I better get my riding in while it is nice.

Have a great day Yinz guys!
It was a great ride, i feel like a million bucks this morning...

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Aaaghhg! Her little shoes are so cute!

I always think baby sneakers are the funniest things.

J

JRB

Good morning. Really struggling with quitting my job to go run the shop. I think I can get 30k to run it right now, but that is over 10k in pay cuts. However, gas at $2.50 a gallon will cost me 3k this year. I figure that I spend 1.5k on lunch, so that is more to save. It's an hour less driving, and I can ride to work. My credit card debt is really high, so Julie worries about the money, but I am not liking the direction here. (I would assume that you could see that with the amount of time on the monkey) Either way, I think I will see 10k less, but we also plan to ebay a ton of stuff and I will get 20% of that. That would help supplement, but it's hard to think of the change. It's not a good day for me. I would get to hang with Caroline for a couple of hours every morning, and that seems like a huge value to me right now.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
loco said:
..... I would get to hang with Caroline for a couple of hours every morning, and that seems like a huge value to me right now.

Anything that gets you to spend more time with your children is, as you say, a huge value..Good Luck with your decision..

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Good morning,

Had an excellent ride last night- got to see just how long my HID battery lasts (3.5 hours as advertised). It was about as bright as my commuter light when we rolled into the lot. Great ride and workout, I'm pretty toasted this morning after rolling in at midnight.

Splat- come out to AZ, you'll be wearing shorts year round.

Macko- You couldn't do much better for a first jersey.

Treesaw- Great pics! very cute.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Yo. I rode in to work for the first time in '06 today. :thumb: I took it pretty easy as I dont have access to showers yet - it's short enough that I can do it without working up a sweat on even the warmer days. I'll take the long way home tonight :weee:

I helped the GF work on her commuter last night. She's pretty new at working on bikes so I showed her how to do one side and she did the other side.

Nachos and beer tonight. sweet.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
loco said:
Good morning. Really struggling with quitting my job to go run the shop. I think I can get 30k to run it right now, but that is over 10k in pay cuts. However, gas at $2.50 a gallon will cost me 3k this year. I figure that I spend 1.5k on lunch, so that is more to save. It's an hour less driving, and I can ride to work. My credit card debt is really high, so Julie worries about the money, but I am not liking the direction here. (I would assume that you could see that with the amount of time on the monkey) Either way, I think I will see 10k less, but we also plan to ebay a ton of stuff and I will get 20% of that. That would help supplement, but it's hard to think of the change. It's not a good day for me. I would get to hang with Caroline for a couple of hours every morning, and that seems like a huge value to me right now.
a job you like, the ability to ride more (even if it's only to and from work), more time with caroline... assuming you will still be able to put food on the table, it seems likea no brainer to me.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Morning.

Day 6 is so far full of playing Motherlode on Addictinggames. Yesterday I planted some flowers, cleaned out some leaves from around the deck, sawed off several limbs with the polechainsaw and cooked up some sausages.

On top of that, somebody botched an order and gave me a better fork than I ordered, along with a mango headset. w00t.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Another beautiful day. I went swimming at lunch yesterday and for a long mountain bike ride after work. It was warm and sunny out and I couldn't have had more fun. Today I think I'll ride at lunch.

Life is good.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
morning all.

got up really early to go into work early for some training so i can start taking on more mechanical stuff soon instead of just cleaning bikes and the shop. got in there around 8:30 but considering the fact that ive been sleeping in until about noon everyday since im on vacation it felt pretty damn early.

now im back at home about to head off for a haircut and then a few other things before i go back to work later tonight for the roam premier. cant wait to see that movie as i have heard that it is really good.

now its time for some lunch.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
loco said:
look it is apparent that you aren't happy with the situation at work. This response is not about me but about the situation I am in, you take from it what you will.

I live in the City of Pittsburgh (high taxes) but work in the country (low taxes)50 minute drive each way (39miles) the pay is way less than I could make in the City or immediate suburbs, but the stress with kids etc. is far less than some of the schools I have been at closer to home. In an area where the cows outnumber the people, the kids seam to respect others a little more. (that could just be my naive view) When approached, I had contemplated getting a job at one of the better paying districts closer to home. But the kids I have here are so great that until I feel that the students here and I, aren't benefiting from me being here, and the job is just a job for money, then I think I have to stay. There is such a thing as stress factor. I don't think the $10k difference between school districts would pay for the additional stress I would incur. sure I would like to make more money and be closer to home doing it, but the time I spend in the car driving home lets me decompress. so maybe what I should do is move to the country where the taxes are low, and work in the city where the pay is good.

in your situation the daily stress of your present job may not be worth the extra money. would running the shop be any less stressful? Would you really have more time to spend with Caroline? If so then I think you have a stronger case to lay out for Julie! What type of benefits etc.? hasn’t really been addressed. Would your quality of life change if you changed jobs?

This type of transition and choice isn’t ever easy. But if you want support for your decision I am sure there will be people around here who will say HELL YES quit and take the shop job. If you want us to say don’t do it the stability and security of your cubicle farm job is too much to lose, then I am sure there are also people here that will say DON’T DO IT! If the shop job is a dream job, with room for advancement etc, then by all means your mind is probably already made up!

Good luck with it, it isn’t an easy choice.

J

JRB

Yeah - this isn't a cube farm, just layed out with cubes for now. They are supposed to build some offices soon. I just don't like the direction of things and see some seemingly underhanded moves to make advancements. The one person doing this doesn't understand the industry. I do. I don't like that I see things going like they did at my past job. I got fired for a relationship with my best friend there, so I am very cynical when it comes to politics. I don't take any benefits here and have insurance through Julie. I just don't know if it's the right thing to do. Like I said, I have a pile of debt and quitting won't help that be reduced, but I am leary of things being done. I guess I will know more on Monday, but I still feel a bad vibe in my gut. I am not worried about being fired, but I don't feel any stability either.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
loco said:
Yeah - this isn't a cube farm, just layed out with cubes for now. They are supposed to build some offices soon. I just don't like the direction of things and see some seemingly underhanded moves to make advancements. The one person doing this doesn't understand the industry. I do. I don't like that I see things going like they did at my past job. I got fired for a relationship with my best friend there, so I am very cynical when it comes to politics. I don't take any benefits here and have insurance through Julie. I just don't know if it's the right thing to do. Like I said, I have a pile of debt and quitting won't help that be reduced, but I am leary of things being done. I guess I will know more on Monday, but I still feel a bad vibe in my gut. I am not worried about being fired, but I don't feel any stability either.
well maybe just hang out there! the best thing that could happen is getting fired or layed off!:sneaky: then you could collect unemployment, spend some quality time with Caroline, and get everything squared away with the shop. that way you don't have to make any decisions.:thumb: