Quantcast

Got an iPod Touch

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ah, i thought you were omitting the question mark and trying to say "is it not the coolest device on earth?"

(to which S.S., grumpy old curmudgeon, would say "yes, it is not." and post some google images picture :D)

((i actually agree with S.S.: that title is held by the iPhone, of course...))

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
ah, i thought you were omitting the question mark and trying to say "is it not the coolest device on earth?"

(to which S.S., grumpy old curmudgeon, would say "yes, it is not." and post some google images picture :D)

((i actually agree with S.S.: that title is held by the iPhone, of course...))
Meh, thats what you get for watching football, eating garlic bread, taking care of your sick woman, and typing on the nerd at the same time :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you're probably the only (other) person on the :monkey: that would make sure that the parentheses were properly closed when trimming a quote. nerd.

:D

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
which hack did you use? I've seen a couple and they looked a little betaish.

Well, I'm on a MacBook Pro, so I used This Guide with This Pictorial and it was seamless..

They are not beta, they are just not a pretty GUI. Even people that don't know anything about the terminal can do it. It's mostly cut and paste.

Here is an automated Windows Hack, But I cannot vouch for it, as I have not tried it. The people on Macrumors are pretty reliable though, so I would read through the thread and see how many people have gotten it to work.

There is Also a 74 step fully manual Windows hack

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I'm gonna go with lexdysic.

I fixed my former post to wheat I MEANT to say....
Wheat?

Compound Sloppiness. Tsk, tsk.

Du ma nhieu.

heheheheheheh.

I'm all jealous and stuff 'bout the 'pod. I need to gets me a new one...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Well, I'm on a MacBook Pro, so I used This Guide with This Pictorial and it was seamless..

They are not beta, they are just not a pretty GUI. Even people that don't know anything about the terminal can do it. It's mostly cut and paste.

Here is an automated Windows Hack, But I cannot vouch for it, as I have not tried it. The people on Macrumors are pretty reliable though, so I would read through the thread and see how many people have gotten it to work.

There is Also a 74 step fully manual Windows hack

Quite a bit different than the one I saw. Thanks!

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
If I could ma nhieu, I would never leave my room.

You should fo' sho' pick up a touch, they are awesome. Especially with the hack!
I'm going to shop for one in the new year - spending all my chump change on flights and cameras until then.

What I'm day dreaming of is a larger capacity by then - any rumors out there of a 32Gb? It's all about compact flash memory, yes?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I'm going to shop for one in the new year - spending all my chump change on flights and cameras until then.

What I'm day dreaming of is a larger capacity by then - any rumors out there of a 32Gb? It's all about compact flash memory, yes?
You have a while to wait for 32GB. It's 98% that it won't come before Mac World San Francisco 2008, and it may not even come then

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
Windows media and Quicktime. What's up with the flash drivers? I just want to be able to watch the videos on CNN.com. Half of their site is video now.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Windows media and Quicktime. What's up with the flash drivers? I just want to be able to watch the videos on CNN.com. Half of their site is video now.
ahh, gotcha. For any type of movie you want to load onto the touch, you need to convert it to an mp4, or h.264. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but you'll probably want to make it a smaller res anyway, so its not that big of a deal.

As for flash, we are all SOL. currently, the ipod touch and the iPhone do not support flash. All it supports is the youtube app which is h.264, and all it supports through the browser is google video. I know, sucks, don't it?

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
ahh, gotcha. For any type of movie you want to load onto the touch, you need to convert it to an mp4, or h.264. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but you'll probably want to make it a smaller res anyway, so its not that big of a deal.

As for flash, we are all SOL. currently, the ipod touch and the iPhone do not support flash. All it supports is the youtube app which is h.264, and all it supports through the browser is google video. I know, sucks, don't it?

There's no way to convert the files on the iPhone itself is there?

The flash thing is irritating. A lot of flashier industry sites use flash menus now and those don't show up at all. Ibis is a good example.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
There's no way to convert the files on the iPhone itself is there?

The flash thing is irritating. A lot of flashier industry sites use flash menus now and those don't show up at all. Ibis is a good example.
No, there is no way to do it on the phone, but why would you want to? that would just use extra battery and hard(flash)drive space.

Yeah, the flash thing does suck, but, that was known ahead of time.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's efficient. Hmm, make an application actually decode some of the most popular media formats on the internet, or force users to figure out what they want to view ahead of time, convert it on their computer, and set up a media server to share it out :p

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's efficient. Hmm, make an application actually decode some of the most popular media formats on the internet, or force users to figure out what they want to view ahead of time, convert it on their computer, and set up a media server to share it out :p
it's a device with limited resources. decoding a bajillion formats is less useful to me than decoding the most current format (h.264), and doing it well.

on the other hand, i really would like flash support for facebook scrabble/scrabulous. :D