Quantcast

GPS experts/Dorks:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
What's the hottest new gadget?
I have an ooold Garmin ETrex Vista, and man, I need a new one for the stuff I am doing/will be doing in the future.

I am looking for one that is very, very easy to navigate in the field (create waypoints, edit, possibly even paint as I go on the trailhead)

One of my dreams would be to have one that I could insert a picture at a waypoint, with a camera built into the unit, in order to present 'live-time' viewpoints of conditions in the field, EXACTLY where that condition was encountered. I am pretty sure I could figure that out in post-production, but, man, wouldn't that be an awesome GPS app?

I am pretty awful at using mine, (actually, I am scared of it...it has a mind of it's own, and pocket-dials itself on and off) does anyone have any good online/real life resources to master the art of GPS-ing for professional applications?

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
i'll be looking into this thread as well; i'm thinking of picking up my own soon (i have to use it in the field constantly). i've used the old garmins and the newer etrax as well and honestly, the older ones are more accurate!

as far as working realtime on your device (photos, etc) look into some of the geological mapping programs out there, or just do what i do: bring camera, notebook and gps, mark down way points and where you took your pics. or do it all on a UTM map. (yea, it's the caveman way of doing it, but it works well)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have been looking into the Garmin Quest 2. I want something I can use on the moto and the Quest is waterproof, turn by turn, but also does back country as well.

Being a cheap bastard, I found one from Garmin remanufactured for $215. Small enough to fit in your pocket, but can be used on the bike or in the car.