Quantcast

Gran Turismo 4 road challenge...

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
It really does...half the fun is building cool cars.

btw, that CIEN is a PIECE. Whole ****-ton of power but terrible handling and no way to improve the awful clutch or throttle lag...

Mess with the suspension and it actually handles pretty well with some super slicks on it. But it's really best reserved for fast courses like Di Aria.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
So we have to do Suzuka.
In an Ruf Porsche. What does 'ruff' mean?
With no engine mods, no nitrous.
Best time wins.
Ruff is a company that specializes in modifying stock Porches. GT could not get the rights to use Porches in their game, but used a couple of cars modified by Ruff.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I havn't had a chance to play yet, and I just realized I'm out for this challange and the next. I'm leaving tomorrow for vacation in NY and won't be back until next Monday. I'll join in the fun then though.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I havn't had a chance to play yet, and I just realized I'm out for this challange and the next. I'm leaving tomorrow for vacation in NY and won't be back until next Monday. I'll join in the fun then though.
Wow, sounds familiar, forgot to play and I'm leaving for North* tomorrow morning.

I'll join in next race

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I had a time at one point, but forgot it and bolted the huge turbo to my Ruf to win the Supercar festivus. Perhaps I will give it a go again this evening.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
well I have added 2 more races so that everyone gets a chance to race 10 times....and I'll just take everyones top 10 finishes....D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
What cars can we use? Seriously. I'm a bit confused on this part.
you will find the current challenge on the 2nd post of this thread....D

1st challenge:
Course -Suzuka (normal)
Car -Ruf (any model)
Conditions -No nitrous, no engine mods, no turbo
Deadline Saturday 12AM PST

Ask questions if you're unsure about anything....D

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Hate to be a spelling Nazi but i believe it is RUF not RUFF

EDIT----->> 1:52.818 after about 40 laps with probably about 30 resulting in trips to the sand traps. I needed to put the ASM and TCS through the roof in order to make my car stable. 150mph+ is tricky w/o much downforce, fun challenge none the less.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
1:52? ****, I thought I was doing well with a 2:12...

What have you done to the car suspension and gearbox setup?

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
:busted: I hope that Turbo doesn't count as an engine mod even though it's not in the engine category, if so let me know so i can get some laps without it!:busted:

Aside from the possibly illegal turbo i set the ride height about 5mm from fully slammed, step up the spring rate, more negative camber , kept the tranny setting the same after buying the race leval, thuper soft tyres, race brakes and brake controller set w/rear brake bias, finally go all out with drive train upgrades.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Oohhhh, you have the Stg 4 turbo that gives you nearly 1000hp...I believe that's not allowed ;)...I was like, I know I'm not a quick driver, but 20 seconds? DAMN!

My car is close to slammed, slightly stiffer absorbers (only running semi-race), and tranny set to 3 (topping out for about a half second altogether on track) got me a 2:09.5something. Mind you, this is w/o the huge turbo upgrade.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Oohhhh, you have the Stg 4 turbo that gives you nearly 1000hp...I believe that's not allowed ;)...I was like, I know I'm not a quick driver, but 20 seconds? DAMN!

My car is close to slammed, slightly stiffer absorbers (only running semi-race), and tranny set to 3 (topping out for about a half second altogether on track) got me a 2:09.5something. Mind you, this is w/o the huge turbo upgrade.
Yeah, I read more carefully and i think I am blatantly cheating with the turbo.:disgust1: Those cars are almost impossible to drive with that much speed. Ill log some LEGAL laps tonight and see what i can get.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
1'59.901 with NO TURBO this time, I have photo evidence if you want. Much more control and fun without 1000hp:twitch: .

Car setup:
RUF CTR2
camber- 4 front 2 rear
ride height at 85mm
bumped up the spring rate
super soft tires
brake controller at 4 front 4 rear
tranny at auto setting #12

Good luck

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
yeah, i got a 2:15.072. not great, but at this point i just wanted to get a time so at least i'll be ahead of those getting a dnf. i probably could've done much better seeing as how i went off the track twice during that lap.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I need to b-spec for some super softs, race suspension, and the brake controller. Let me get a few Coronas in me and the fun shall begin!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
1'59.901 with NO TURBO this time, I have photo evidence if you want. Much more control and fun without 1000hp:twitch: .

Car setup:
RUF CTR2
camber- 4 front 2 rear
ride height at 85mm
bumped up the spring rate
super soft tires
brake controller at 4 front 4 rear
tranny at auto setting #12

Good luck

I'm using the CTR yellow bird...I found I could get better exit speed out of the turns than with the 4WD CTR...D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I just did a 2:04.225 and thought I was fast. In the CTR. I may have to get the yellow bird.
Can we put in #'s for setups?
:59 mins left right?

you have to win the Boxxer spirit in the professinal hall to get it....it's not the regualr yellow bird it's the ctr yellow bird '87....D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Currently at 2:04.067...

I know I can get it faster, but maybe only 4 seconds or so with a couple better line choices and entrance/exit speeds. And racing suspension. And a cage.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I bought every upagrade that wasn't limited...you need to get racing suspension to even be competitive...D

springs f&r- 10, 12
height- 85
reboung and compression- 4/8
camber f&r- 3.0, 2.5
sway bars- 6
toe- none

super soft tires
driving aids- 4 all around
no cage!!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
What's next?
How 'bout a new thread...I never did get the Yb tuned, but close...
I'll have it up soon...still 3 more hours left on the current challenge...but I may just list them all so folks can practice and prepare ahead of time...D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
2nd Challenge:
Course -Tokyo (normal)
Car -Lotus (any model)
Conditions -No NOS,
Deadline Tuesday 7/3 11:59 PM PST

3rd Challenge:
Course -Sarth II
Car - car must be under 1000kg after mods!
Conditions -No NOS, no F1 cars!
Deadline Saturday 7/7 11:59 PM PST

Ask questions if you're unsure about anything....D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
So I'm on the East coast and you are on the West coast? I have 2.5 hrs to get my car running? Or should be rightoeuos and quit at midnight in our respective time zones?
well it's listed as PST you so you still have 2.5 hrs to go...D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
How about a rule stipulation? You have to submit at 12PM in your time zone. I'm on the East coast, so it's 12:30 here.
well we're not to strict on the submission times.....just ask Zark:D but I will typically post standings within 24hrs after it ends

So the Lotus...everything goes except nos, rihgt?umm right?
....right