Quantcast

Gran Turismo 4 road challenge...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I would recommend racing these races. The reward cars will get you very far in the game.

Japanese championship
Japanese GT championship
Special conditions Tsukuba circuit
or any of the races in Extreme hall....D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
All right, which is a nicer car...the Minolta Toyota, or the Belgian Gillet car? I'm concerned the V6 in the Gillet won't make the kind of HP I need for Sarthe II.

I haven't yet driven the Gillet, as I'd need to pawn the Minolta to get it.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
All right, which is a nicer car...the Minolta Toyota, or the Belgian Gillet car? I'm concerned the V6 in the Gillet won't make the kind of HP I need for Sarthe II.

I haven't yet driven the Gillet, as I'd need to pawn the Minolta to get it.
Well the Gillet drives better but is not as powerful as the Minotla which handles like crap!...it's up to you...D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Bah, I suppose I'll hold out for something better and use my Minolta to get it. The handling on the car is terrible...It bounces around like a ragdoll on the backstretch of Sarthe even with the suspension setup farily cushy.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Bah, I suppose I'll hold out for something better and use my Minolta to get it. The handling on the car is terrible...It bounces around like a ragdoll on the backstretch of Sarthe even with the suspension setup farily cushy.

yeah you can get it fairly manageable if you bump the springs up to 18 or so....raise the ride height to he highest and only us about 1/2 the down force...rebound and compression should be about 2 and 8....the driving aids help a bit as well as the LSD setting around 25 or so...but overall the car just handless like poop :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
yeah you can get it fairly manageable if you bump the springs up to 18 or so....raise the ride height to he highest and only us about 1/2 the down force...rebound and compression should be about 2 and 8....the driving aids help a bit as well as the LSD setting around 25 or so...but overall the car just handless like poop :D
Yeah, I finally got it to 261mph on the backstretch but that was with some major sacrifices downforcewise...I think I might try to use a TVR, or just do an endurance race for a decent car.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I officially deem the tuning section of GT4 for anything non-Japanese utterly stupid. I gave up on saving 4 million credits or doing 24H of Le Mans and was building cars to race in model/region specific races. I bought an Audi S4 (the ones that came with an NA V8 engine) thinking "oh, I'll just boost it and it'll be fvcking money". NOES! Can only do NA tunes to a whopping 500bhp, and get this...I can mount an intercooler to it? WTF? I know the N/A motor in MY car is just DYING for a FMIC.

I hate that you can build a rinkydink Impreza STI to 700HP but can't get anything with a big Euro motor above 500. Stupid.

Anywho, let me see if I can track down my time on Sarthe II with the Minolta...I had it down in the high 2:50s with suspension setup almost like you suggested D. I tried screwing with the downforce, but I was having lots of trouble in the corners even after it boosted my top speed to 265mph. I'm still tempted to buy a Gillet and see if I can do better, but that long stretch is just a killer when you aren't making at least 1000bhp and can't get to 250mph.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ladies and gentlemen, this is what happens when you take three excedrin and a 20oz black coffee on a Saturday evening...

2:50.859

ARHAR!

The key is mild downforce and not jacking the car up too high. If it gets too high your aerodynamics suffer at top speed and it corners like an even bigger pig. I was topping out at 259. Too little downforce and it was cornering very slowly.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I officially deem the tuning section of GT4 for anything non-Japanese utterly stupid. I gave up on saving 4 million credits or doing 24H of Le Mans and was building cars to race in model/region specific races. I bought an Audi S4 (the ones that came with an NA V8 engine) thinking "oh, I'll just boost it and it'll be fvcking money". NOES! Can only do NA tunes to a whopping 500bhp, and get this...I can mount an intercooler to it? WTF? I know the N/A motor in MY car is just DYING for a FMIC.

I hate that you can build a rinkydink Impreza STI to 700HP but can't get anything with a big Euro motor above 500. Stupid.

Anywho, let me see if I can track down my time on Sarthe II with the Minolta...I had it down in the high 2:50s with suspension setup almost like you suggested D. I tried screwing with the downforce, but I was having lots of trouble in the corners even after it boosted my top speed to 265mph. I'm still tempted to buy a Gillet and see if I can do better, but that long stretch is just a killer when you aren't making at least 1000bhp and can't get to 250mph.
I'm sure there are some Euros capable of massive boost you just have to look....of course my garage is about 90% Japanese :D...D

2.47.897...I don't think I'm going to get faster that that...I had a near perfect run ...D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm sure there are some Euros capable of massive boost you just have to look....of course my garage is about 90% Japanese :D...D

2.47.897...I don't think I'm going to get faster that that...I had a near perfect run ...D
BASTARD! I was so proud of my 2:50...It wasn't even totally clean...I'm done trying.

:monkey:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
BASTARD! I was so proud of my 2:50...It wasn't even totally clean...I'm done trying.

:monkey:
lol...I didn't even see you time before I posted mine...I had to go back and look at my exact number :D...the Mercedes Sauber 9 is sick!!...D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I want a Bugatti Veyron...Up the boost on its two turbos, get it to 1500bhp, watch your car attempt to fly to the moon...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I bought the Gillette for ****s and giggles.

In stock setup with engine upgrades it is CRAPTASTIC. I think it's too light...it weighs something like 750kg and has a ridiculously good power/weight ratio. I think it lifts off the ground during acceleration making cornering at speed tough. It also feels very narrow...it can't put power to the ground as well as the Minolta, even though on paper it's a far quicker car.

I'm gonna try adding ballast and see if that helps it out, but it may negate its huge weight advantage.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I bought the Gillette for ****s and giggles.

In stock setup with engine upgrades it is CRAPTASTIC. I think it's too light...it weighs something like 750kg and has a ridiculously good power/weight ratio. I think it lifts off the ground during acceleration making cornering at speed tough. It also feels very narrow...it can't put power to the ground as well as the Minolta, even though on paper it's a far quicker car.

I'm gonna try adding ballast and see if that helps it out, but it may negate its huge weight advantage.
I wouldn't add weight...try making the front springs stiffer than the rear....and add more rear downforce...should help a bit...D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'm back in town, y'all. time to brush off the ps2 after i wade through all these photos...

:D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
If I own the car already, does it count? :D

Edit:

NVM, it shouldn't, because that could skew the balance with people who have the Mazda racecar...so, you have to start with a fresh car?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Debating between sheer power but no ability to round a corner or mild power and able to steer...

The RX-7drives very unbalanced.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
cool now Toshi and vtjim are in the hunt...where the hell is Noah???
I'm here, but riding, bike repair side jobs and road trips have consumed a lot of my time recently. I might hop in a challenge or two, but sporadicly at best this round.:imstupid:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
hmm...I'm not revealing my car until the end...this one's going to come down to car choice...D
The Miata is poopoo for this course compared to an RX...too many high speed straights that power owns on. I wish I could use the Mazdaspeed 6...That would own.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
The Miata is poopoo for this course compared to an RX...too many high speed straights that power owns on. I wish I could use the Mazdaspeed 6...That would own.

hmm....I don't know...you better check those power to weight ratios again...the Miata can be a threat if put together right...D

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i don't think i'll be doing many more of the challenges. found colin mcrae rally 04 for $5 today so that will probably occupy most of my video game time these days.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
i don't think i'll be doing many more of the challenges. found colin mcrae rally 04 for $5 today so that will probably occupy most of my video game time these days.
McRae 05 is 20x better, but I only think on Xbox and PC...on the PC it's a gorgeous game. I've yet to play DiRT...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
hmm....I don't know...you better check those power to weight ratios again...the Miata can be a threat if put together right...D
No, it can't on a course with major straights like this (unless you put absolutely nothing into the suspension/lsd/tires, in which case the mildly powerful RX will kill it in the corners). The RX doesn't outweigh it by much, but the motor in it has a crapton more potential for boost.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
McRae 05 is 20x better, but I only think on Xbox and PC...on the PC it's a gorgeous game. I've yet to play DiRT...
didn't see it at gamestop, but i'll have to look next time i'm at the mall. i also have an xbox, but for whatever reason it doesn't like to read half of the games i own, i think the lens might be messed or something.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it's probably just the car ;) . you did say car choice was critical.

i'm not using a miata, that's for sure...