Quantcast

Grand Ridge Most Unwanted...

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Is it ok to publically state that legal bike parks in WA are coming??? ;)

But, my thinking is that those areas will still not be "enough" to completely curb illicit building. The legal stuff probably won't be "big enough" for the "core" hucksters among us and they'll go out in the woods and build their road gaps anyways.

But, it will be a start.

There's always so much talk about the DH and FR oriented folks getting together on this list. Long timers know it's been thrown out there for years now with no results. I just wish some would step up and put their money where their keystrokes are... then, we could move on to riding at those places topics instead of rehashing this one over and over again.

I was lucky and Justin included me in the initial planning that started well over a year (maybe 2 by now?) ago for the KC Skills park. So I know that something is coming, it is just a matter of when.

BC was all about sawing down all the trails that popped up in the woods in Van. They saw that mountain biking was going nowhere and sorta embraced it. I say sorta because it is still not legal up there, but it is accepted. There are so many skills parks it isnt funny. Surely SOMETHING will happen that gives people a place to learn :)

For me this isn't a huge deal as I rarely ride locally but for those that do ride locally and do so with frequency, not having a secured place to play gets old and fast.

I have an amendment to my above post. BMX tracks are indeed a govt funded bike park (not exactly the type of park I was thinking of but I do believe it counts). I don't know how I let that slip my mind! There you go, a start :)

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
I have an amendment to my above post. BMX tracks are indeed a govt funded bike park (not exactly the type of park I was thinking of but I do believe it counts). I don't know how I let that slip my mind! There you go, a start :)
thats why im riding bmx this year. Consistant, legal place to race/ride

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
I assume you are being tongue-in-cheek with this, but I can't tell. Assuming you are being serious; you do realize that skaters have some of the most well planned and orchestrated movements, right?

I was being tongue-in-cheek, hence the smilie. However, the irony doesn't escape me when I see bikes being thrown out of skate parks. I know that skaters organized and we need to as well. Peace!

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Bent<Biker, There are 2 "local" for me anyways, places coming on line that I know of. (Besides Colonnade which will be a "skills park" as well though not as big as some may want but plenty for most. Remember, the advanced area hasn't even been started yet.) One of these places should go real public real soon and I'm sure there will be no lack of offers to help for this. Word will get out fast. And, I for one, am stoked about it.

Places like Galbraith and their history along with the successes the skaters have had will definately help pave the way for us. It's picking up speed but still may be too slow for some...

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
I was being tongue-in-cheek, hence the smilie. However, the irony doesn't escape me when I see bikes being thrown out of skate parks. I know that skaters organized and we need to as well. Peace!

Fair enough :) I wasn't sure so I figured I would cover both sides.

I agree on the irony; reminds me of what I used to deal with as a skier getting tossed out of terrain parks many-moons-ago.

It all goes in cycles and there is always a user group that gets the short of the the poo covered stick.

Perhaps it is time to put more time in on my bmx...I do enjoy the north seatac bmx track.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
let me just throw one thing out there- if Stevens Pass opens for bikes this summer, will this be something that will cut down on illicit trail building? I undoubtedly believe it will, and from word on the street, it is coming.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
why is this? can you defend your argument?

edit- dont want to sound rude but i'm interested in why you think this way.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
why is this? can you defend your argument?

edit- dont want to sound rude but i'm interested in why you think this way.

It won't for the same (whatever) reasons why having Whistler and Silverstar and Sunpeaks don't cut down on the trails around Pembie/Whis or Vernon/Loops.

I think it will definitely spread the rider base out more (as seen when Whis opens and the shore all but empties out) but there will always be those that will complain; it's too pricey, too inconvenient, etc..

If Steven's opened up for lift riding, I would buy a season's pass without even a blink of the eyes to show support for such a move.

Yep :)

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
if stevens opened for biking, not only would i buy a seasons pass in a flash, i would NEVER ride snoqualmie again- Stevens would get my business in the winter too

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Gosh, I hate to be the balloon popping pin and I never would want to steal any of MMike's thunder but opening Stevens ain't gonna happen..... The rumour about it or Crystal or Snoqualmie opening pops up far too often....
And if it did, does anyone here remember how well they treated the season pass holders after the crappy 04-05 season?

So, let's get back on thread here... :)

But, I fully agree with SeanD. Some riders just want more variation and no amount of trails will ever be enough. Having legal places to ride will cut the possibility of some new illicit stuff being built but it also might get more people in to the sport and create a bigger base of unsatisfied riders.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Anywhere or just Stevens?

Lot's of talk for years and no action.

I'll have to check with my insiders up at Stevens Ass.

Though it wouldn't be a bad thing. Then, people would just bitch here about why it's not as good as Whistler, blah, blah, blah....

You're on.:wait:

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
My bet is on Stevens opening by 2008. Yeah, you're right, there will always be bitching...but not by me!!! I'll blaze my own trail as long as I get to go down!!!

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
I would think stevens would be most likly to open for bikes cause they hold a winter race every year so I would think they may consider opening for bikes more then any other resort around here

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Yup, I'd buy a season's pass too. Even if trails were less than perfect it'd still be a sweet quick hit. All they'd have to do is come close to what Cypress Bike Park had the one year they opened and it would find a market. Just don't let Borneo know they're opening it though, or he'll PM and email them not to bother because the KC Skills park in Duthie Hill will be too much competition (like he did to me when I was posting about my plan to start an indoor freeride park, which is still a distinct possibility pending all the usual hurdles).

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
I actually was talking to Darren the other day (Downhill Zone) and he said that stevens is gonna open up for bikes as long as he gets some people calling up there and saying exactly what were saying on these forums, stuff like I'd buy a seasons pass in a heartbeat! that kinda thing because he's gonna throw down like 12 grand or something for the guys FROM WHISTLER to come down and rip out some trails for em. SO GET OFF YOU LAZY A$$ES AND MAKE SOME PHONE CALLS!!!!

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I'll blaze my own trail as long as I get to go down!!!
I am assuming this is a joke.
But as a reminder, activities like that are one of the reasons Snocrummie cited as the reason they shut down.

carbuncle, are you saying that Cypress didn't re-open? We rode there once and everything was pretty tame but they were working on a trail that day that looked to have potential. Too bad if they don't re-open. It's truly a quick fix for Van locals, not too bad from here either.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
^^^Oh my gosh, give me a break!!! I meant that if Stevens opened, I wouldn't complain about the types of trails they had, even if we had to make our own! No intentions of breaking any rules or anything...geez, people on this forum take things way to seriously!

MRUFF

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
K-town Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhacker
Sorry if I missed something where-as this was given the official OK to be built, but who's the idiot that built a pump-track at St. Edwards/Finn Hill?

Or maybe they'll just get it that the stuff is going to keep popping up and designate an area in the public park? I heard it was a bunch of parents and kids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snacks
They at least could have built one with more flow!

Are you sure it's the track? Seems to run pretty good.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Quote:
Or maybe they'll just get it that the stuff is going to keep popping up and designate an area in the public park? I heard it was a bunch of parents and kids...
Sure, keep re-building in an area where they as recently as a year ago came in and flattened what the local kids built, then gave the BBTC a stern lecture about controlling this type af activity.
Yeah, I see that course of action having good results?

MRUFF

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
K-town Washington
Sure, keep re-building in an area where they as recently as a year ago came in and flattened what the local kids built, then gave the BBTC a stern lecture about controlling this type af activity.
Yeah, I see that course of action having good results?
Well is this posted to public anywhere? Or on signs? I doubt the parents are on this site or the BCTC's. Is it even posted on their page anywhere? There is just no public notice going on.

I see both sides to this. I'm just trying to bring up some valid points. Greenspaces=shared space and people are going to do stuff in them legal or illegal way beyond building small berms.

It's fun to ride and I'll ride it while it's there just like all the other areas that could or will be taken out.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
I remember one time I got so angry at the BBTC's lack of respect for freeriders that I blacked out.

When I woke up, I was lying in the forest naked with a shovel and a set of freshly made dirt jumps.

"NOOOOO WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?"

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Cypress BP was pretty tame, but it was a fun spot to build up skills. I was up there in mid-July the year it was open, and it had a good mix of Blue trails. Even the blacks were blues, but it had fun stuff, big swoppy berms and tables and some fun woodwork. I'm bummed they aren't opening, it was a quick shot for some lifty fun. Mmm...Stevens...