Quantcast

**Gravity East Series Schedule**

jrfor0

Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
that was such an awesome fight. we really should have pulled out the chairs and watched till the police arrived.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Yea,
Chad is in great spirits. He has undrgone surgery to put his shattered Knee cap back together. I think it took like 5 hours. His family was OK with it from what I heard. He has the worse luck. ( shin pads would have been nice though!!!!) He is the same guy who ruptured his spleen at the Blue Mountain snow race last year. Damn guy needs to marry a DR.
was he not wearing knee/shin pads? :shocked:

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Yes and No...Diablo hasn't "pulled out" nor has USAC "kicked them out" (as I heard from a racer at Duryea race this weekend). It's a complicated issue revolving around insurance fees and the such. We're working on a solution though.

-ska todd
Has this worked out yet? How is this going to work with Diablos open class format?

How are we going to track points for this series?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Has this worked out yet? How is this going to work with Diablos open class format?

How are we going to track points for this series?
It's on the final stages of being worked out. Should know by the end of the week.

Series points are just waiting the ok by the promoter and the regional USAC director before being released.

Series points are all based on differential of the fastest time of the day, regardless of class or category. This will allow for everyone to be ranked in relation to each other and then separated down by other groupings for the overall. It works on a zero/par system. The goal is always to score 0 points at an event and as close to zero on the season. For example, I'm sitting in 130 place overall w/ a total of 279 points. Adam Raphael is leading with zero points. Jamie Ford is second w/ 4 points. Jason Beckley is third w/ 15 points.

-ska todd

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey just gonna give some mad props to all those involved to putting this series on. I'm sure its a lot of hard work and time spent, but its great to see a new series, especially one that includes multiple mountains in multiple states (as opposed to just a local series). Definitely a very good step in the right direction for racing! If the whole season goes as well as the Duryea race did, we're in for a fun season. Thanks guys.:clapping:

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
It's on the final stages of being worked out. Should know by the end of the week.

Series points are just waiting the ok by the promoter and the regional USAC director before being released.

Series points are all based on differential of the fastest time of the day, regardless of class or category. This will allow for everyone to be ranked in relation to each other and then separated down by other groupings for the overall. It works on a zero/par system. The goal is always to score 0 points at an event and as close to zero on the season. For example, I'm sitting in 130 place overall w/ a total of 279 points. Adam Raphael is leading with zero points. Jamie Ford is second w/ 4 points. Jason Beckley is third w/ 15 points.

-ska todd
Any word on Diablo this coming weekend? This race still in the GE Series?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Ok, here's the scoop on the Diablo event this weekend.

The Diablo Series round 1/Gravity East Series round 3 event scheduled for this weekend is ON!! The folks at USAC with the help of Kelli Lusk have been very helpful in making this happen. This event will now not only be a Diablo series event and a Gravity East Series event but will also become a Qualifier for the National Championship event at Mount Snow in July! So, get you pin on this weekend as the competition will surely be stepped up a notch.

Now, to answer the question regarding licensing; to score points for Gravity East Series and/or to be used as a qualifier you MUST have a valid USAC-Mountain Bike (Norba) license. You can purchase licenses onsite but it is certainly recommended that you purchase one before hand online (usacycling.org).

-ska todd

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Todd - for this race, in terms of the course, what are they planning on doing? is it going to be one course with no splits T to B? harder lines with go arounds? I remember last year the Domination races had some course splits for the diff classes.

Skippy

Chimp
Nov 29, 2002
Tappan, NY
Hey guys,

Being new (again) to the east coast I am going t have to get to a few of these! I pussed out doing the Open so I am going to have to MAN-UP and do some of these races! Tell ya what east coast riding is way different than the stuff on the West side, im diggin it!

Good work to everyone that worked on the series!

skippy

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i believe the combined scores get forwarded to the proper authorities, if you only raced one or the other, you only get half the score.

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
i believe the combined scores get forwarded to the proper authorities, if you only raced one or the other, you only get half the score.
results form each race will be submitted to USAC seperately. The Combined times are what will be submitted to the GES. For those who did not compete in both DH races, they will be scored with the slowest time in the class for whichever day they did not race. FYI there was only about seven people ( out of 247 total entries) who fall into that catagory.

Thanks to all who made it out this past weekend. Hope to see you back in July!

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
deadatbirth wrote:
and is it me, or does anyone think a point system that awards 1st place 0 points and last place 1742 points makes any sense?

The point system, in my opinion needs some attention. Having a World Cup style point system for each class would make more sense. Where the top half of the riders get numerical points according to there finish and the bottom half all recieve the same amount of points just say "20" for example. In a group of 40 riders the top 25 would get points for their finish, 1st place recieving 200 points down to the 25th rider recieving 40. All riders below that mark would recieve 20 points across the board. It gives the riders in the top half something tangible to build on with the rider with the most points at the end of the season winning. The riders at the bottom half dont feel as discouraged since they all have a level playing field to try and build from. The GES puts the slowest rider of the day at 1742 points. Riders gaining these points at the first race of the series may feel discouraged to continue with the series. It seems insurmountable to be able to pull out a decent year for them. They may not be the fastest racers on the mountain but the sport is to encourage seasoned athletes as well as weekend warriors to come out and spend there hard earned cash to race. After the first race many people were excited about the series just to go to Massanutten and flat on the race run. They then accrued almost a thousand plus points for this. If the bottom half of finishers were all given the same amount of points for thier efforts, I believe that it would still enforce the competitve urge for them to return to the series and try there hand again.

This was simply my observation, not trying to throw a stick n the spokes.
Just an idea.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
deadatbirth wrote:
and is it me, or does anyone think a point system that awards 1st place 0 points and last place 1742 points makes any sense?

The point system, in my opinion needs some attention. Having a World Cup style point system for each class would make more sense. Where the top half of the riders get numerical points according to there finish and the bottom half all recieve the same amount of points just say "20" for example. In a group of 40 riders the top 25 would get points for their finish, 1st place recieving 200 points down to the 25th rider recieving 40. All riders below that mark would recieve 20 points across the board. It gives the riders in the top half something tangible to build on with the rider with the most points at the end of the season winning. The riders at the bottom half dont feel as discouraged since they all have a level playing field to try and build from. The GES puts the slowest rider of the day at 1742 points. Riders gaining these points at the first race of the series may feel discouraged to continue with the series. It seems insurmountable to be able to pull out a decent year for them. They may not be the fastest racers on the mountain but the sport is to encourage seasoned athletes as well as weekend warriors to come out and spend there hard earned cash to race. After the first race many people were excited about the series just to go to Massanutten and flat on the race run. They then accrued almost a thousand plus points for this. If the bottom half of finishers were all given the same amount of points for thier efforts, I believe that it would still enforce the competitve urge for them to return to the series and try there hand again.

This was simply my observation, not trying to throw a stick n the spokes.
Just an idea.
that's why you get a mulligan.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
How about the fact that Duryea results still aren't even sent into Usacycling.org

I have emailed a few people and nobody wants to respond.

racersdad

Chimp
Jun 25, 2006
How about the fact that Duryea results still aren't even sent into Usacycling.org
They have been up for quite a while now:
https://www.usacycling.org/results/?permit=2007-930

The problem is that they are atrociously incomplete. No license numbers for USAC rankings. No times for the mythical Gravity East standings.

On June 25th Stu Lamp did acknowledge that they are working on it.
"I can tell you that the promoter when turning in the results did not provide the license numbers and I will hopefully get through with the 3 other sets of results that have to be modified and then I will tackle this one."

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Is this thing dead or alive? Wont effect the races I was planning to attend, but it would be nice to hear something official.
Just got served notice by Ska Todd that he got a promotion and is pulling back from helping this series due to time constraints....guess electing a spokesperson for DH seemed like a smart move at the time? But, hey, he's got a real job.

Kelli Lusk of USACycling headed back out west and I just got a call from the new East Coast guy last week. Can't remember his name, but he seemed enthusiastic enough. Maybe Todd can chime in at this point where we all stand if he and Kelli are vamoose.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Word on the street (well, through a call last night) is that one of the Team Plattekill members will be picking up the slack on at least the promotion of the remainder of the GECS (Mt. Snow, Whiteface, Plattekill). My 2 week old boy screaming on my shoulder made me lose a lot of the details, however.

The finale at Plattekill is rumored to have a jump over an 18' trailer! (aka, the 'Plattekill townhouse'!). Those guys are going crazy and have commenced work for that course!

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
GE series is alive there will be some info posted up today!
The finale at Plattekill is going to be a big weekend.They are going to build an epic course,including the trailer (Plattekill Townhouse)jump.
There is going to be a pig roast,and a minimum $5000 cash pro purse for the DH and $1000 for the DS races.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Since Whiteface is the next Gravity East race info for the 2nd annual Whiteface 5 K Downhill on 9-2-07 will be posted within the next couple of days.

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
GE series is alive there will be some info posted up today!
The finale at Plattekill is going to be a big weekend.They are going to build an epic course,including the trailer (Plattekill Townhouse)jump.
There is going to be a pig roast,and a minimum $5000 cash pro purse for the DH and $1000 for the DS races.
$5000 at Platty?? Not that I know something about anything, but that seems a bit far fetched.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
$5000 at Platty?? Not that I know something about anything, but that seems a bit far fetched.
One of the priorities we all discussed in laying out the series was Prize Money.
You're welcome.(not much thanks to me since I couldn't get my event up and running. Still patronize the Wolf Laurel DH/DS next week anyway if you please.)

Patronize your Gravity East hosts please. :thumb:

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
Well that's most excellent.. But screw the money, I'll be first in line for a plate of:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
ROXBURY, N.Y. (derailedonline.com) - Gravity East Series is alive! After a lot of unanswered questions and online discussions the Gravity East Series has been taken over by some individuals dedicated to keeping the series alive.

Series points standings have been re-tabulated for the first 4 races using
NORBA points structure and a minimum purse of $2000 for Pro men and women
categories plus product prizes for amateur categories has been committed to
by the venues for the series championship.

Dieter Ward, from Team Plattekill, spearheaded the effort to get the series
back on track.

We wanted to do what was right for the riders,sponsors and venues.Thanks to
the Plattekill office staff(especially Marie) for donating their time to re-tabulate the points standings.Big thanks also go to the following people and venues for their help and continued support for the series:

Laszlo Vajtay from Plattekill

Mike Valach from Wisp Resort

Ken Hess from Massanutten

Mike Scheur from Whiteface

Greg Fischer from Mt. Snow

Brady Owens from Derailed/HCOR

We hope that the riders will support the remaining races and venues that have stepped up to keep the series alive.The series finale at Plattekill is going to be a great weekend!

There are 4 remaining races on the series schedule:

September 2 - Whiteface Mountain, NY

September 22/23 - Mount Snow, VT

September 29/30 - Wisp, MD

October 13/14 - Series Finals Plattekill Bike Park, NY

Points standings after the first four races and will be posted up separately on DerailedOnline.com and also on the Gravity East website www.gravityeastseries.com shortly.To be eligible for series championships and prizes, participation in a minimum of 5 races is required with the lowest score being dropped.