Quantcast

Green Day - American Idiot - what do you Monkeys think?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The whole album is awesome, Homecoming and Jesus of Suburbia have to be my two favorite songs off of it. They've been dubbed "rock operas", more or less, but this CD is arguably the best Green Day has ever put out. Too bad it didn't win Best Album grammy...I think it deserved it.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I'm torn... I like the CD and all, but some songs on it sounds like something I've heard before. I'm not necessarily talking about it sounding like same-old green day (which some are); Some of the songs just sound like stuff from other people... I'll listen to it again later on today and see if I can nail it down so I can be more specific.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The people they're making fun of in their song are the ones buying the albumn which is the weird thing.....

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
stosh said:
The people they're making fun of in their song are the ones buying the albumn which is the weird thing.....
Thats the sheer irony of the whole album :D

Sort of RATM-esque...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
stosh said:

I am NO amrerican idiot.

*sarcasm* Now I am going to go watch the simple life *sarcasm*

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I've only heard a few songs of the album, but they don't do anything for me. With the topics Green Day wanted to address with this album, the poppiness makes it sound watered down, like the hooks drown out the message. Not trying to be a hater, just my thoughts. Somehow, pop punk fails to convey any real emotion to me, like the bands aren't really that serious about what they're saying.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
definitely one of their best works. in my opinion, Dookie is the best they have done, with this coming in a close second. i don't really care for anything between Dookie and American Idiot. Kerplunk is really good, as well.

Dookie
American Idiot
Kerplunk
Nimrod

that's how i'd rank them. anything that is not on there doesn't do it for me. i would love to see Green Day play American Idiot live.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i think they need to wear a little more make up to be credible...

ian mackaye has more punk in his little finger... green day is a bunch of little mtv punks... l a m e

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
partsbara said:
i think they need to wear a little more make up to be credible...

ian mackaye has more punk in his little finger... green day is a bunch of little mtv punks... l a m e

Here they come.

The "I am WAY better than you because I listen to REAL punk." People

Who the hell said greenday was punk anymore?

You should get off your high horse and get out of this thread

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
chicodude01 said:
Here they come.

Greenday did....

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stinkyboy said:
Worthless... Poser Punk that is more like shi++y pop.

Long Live Sid Vicious!
Worthless? No, Good Charlotte is worthless.

Sid Vicious, if you knew anything about punk, was the biggest poser of all.

I've known Green Day for more than 10 years. They are down to earth people, and great songwriters. They never forgot where they came from, and they never played watered down "urban flavored" crap like most of the "punk" bands these days. They play melodic punk, plain and simple.

It's a good record. Not perfect, but good. I prefer most of their stuff on Lookout, but I am biased. (we used to be on the same label :thumb:)

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
chicodude01 said:
Here they come.

pull ya head outta ya a$$ mate.. don t put words in my mouth... it s an opinion einstein... i m entitled to one and i ll post it here... don t like it ??? leave yaself and go listen to ya good charlotte records ;)....

it s the internet mate, don t take it so personal... don t like my taste in music??? you don t have to... but don t get wound up, it s unhealthy...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
partsbara said:
pull ya head outta ya a$$ mate.. don t put words in my mouth... it s an opinion einstein... i m entitled to one and i ll post it here... don t like it ??? leave yaself and go listen to ya good charlotte records ;)....

it s the internet mate, don t take it so personal... don t like my taste in music??? you don t have to... but don t get wound up, it s unhealthy...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
partsbara said:

It's just so popular to hate on anything that isn't old punk nowadays, I am just sick of it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
ioscope said:
Tired, labored, old
How about, "Nothing new under the sun..."

Every riff on American Idiot has been played before by other bands. Many times.

Yet, it's still a good record. These days it's not what you come up with, but how it's executed. That's the difference between rip-off and enjoyable.

But yeah, just my opinion.

On that note, someone name me an original piece of music that has been written in the last 50 years.

Thought so.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Same thing as the last few Green Day albums... meh.... For what it is it's OK... fun pop music. But then that's what pop music is... fun brain candy.

Hell, the grammies aren't about good music anyway... they're about sales and such.

H8R said:
On that note, someone name me an original piece of music that has been written in the last 50 years.

Thought so.
POP Music? or any music? if you are talking about ALL music I would direct you towards some Phillip Glass, Bartok (spelling?) and some Jazz.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ciaran said:
POP Music? or any music? if you are talking about ALL music I would direct you towards some Phillip Glass, Bartok (spelling?) and some Jazz.
Which all derive from other forms of music.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
captainpolution said:
most annoying album ever
You need to listen to more music if you think this is the most annoying album ever.

It's not even in the top 1000 list for most annoying.

Ever heard Bette Midler's records?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
H8R said:
Which all derive from other forms of music.
yeah ever since that first cave man hit one rock against another and made the worlds first music it's all the same. :rolleyes: Might as well not even bother listening to music since no matter what you hear, you've already heard it before anyway.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
From Bill Simmons:

Leftover Grammy questions: Did Jamie Foxx clear it with Sam Jackson before shaving his head? Is Stevie Wonder secretly excited that he's the last famous blind singer? Was there anything better than the Kanye West "I can't believe I just lost Best New Artist to Maroon 5" face? What's the difference between J-Lo's rear end and Kelly Clarkson's rear end? Is Bono officially in the David Robinson/Tony LaRussa Pantheon for "guys who just don't age?"

(Wait, there's more!)

Shouldn't Matt McConaughey be legally required to say "All right, all right, all right" every time he starts speaking in public? If I bought a black hat and an ugly shirt and grew a bad goatee, would this make me eligible to become a popular country music singer? Do you think the guys from Offspring are bummed out that Green Day made such a huge comeback while they're probably playing at the Somerville Holiday Inn this weekend? And isn't the best way to win a few Grammys just to fake your own death?

Jul 26, 2004
Seattle, WA
H8R said:

Thought so.
kraftwerk

aphex twin

dj assault - ass n titties (it's certainly origional.)

dj ricki rucker - sketchbook (not that anyone knows who he is, but it's 100% origional scratched music.) one of the most unique and origional albums i've ever heard. sure, it's all scratched. and its debateable because most of it is samples of others music. but its arranged in a way you'd never think possible.

i could go on.