Quantcast

Gun control, shmun control

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
My opinion is that guns should not be banned, people have the right to own and use them. Most gun crimes are perpetrated by hand guns. Hand guns are far from the best choice for hunting or protecting your home, a nice shotgun is. Require permits to own handguns, require that person have a reason to need a handgun to protect themselves. If Cho could only get his hands on some kind of long gun there is a much better chance he would have been seen and reported before the second round started.
I don't think a complete ban is necessarily more effective either, but it hasn't hurt the citizen in countries that have bans. Sounds like a reasonable compromise for our country and culture.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
My opinion is that guns should not be banned, people have the right to own and use them. Most gun crimes are perpetrated by hand guns. Hand guns are far from the best choice for hunting or protecting your home, a nice shotgun is.
kleibold & harris used shotguns, a-la basketball diaries.

in your face!!!!!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
kleibold & harris used shotguns, a-la basketball diaries.

in your face!!!!!

Shotguns require more time to reload, not a problem if a partner covers you during the process but a lone gunman like Cho could be taken down by some heroic chap during a reload.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Shotguns require more time to reload, not a problem if a partner covers you during the process but a lone gunman like Cho could be taken down by some heroic chap during a reload.
that's why you carry 7 or 8 loaded shotguns in a pillowcase (usually reserved for neck massagers).

why am i even talking to you?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
that's why you carry 7 or 8 loaded shotguns in a pillowcase (usually reserved for neck massagers).

why am i even talking to you?
Don't Asians just sleep on bamboo mats? If a crazy asian kid buys a pillowcase you know something is up.

scott

Chimp
Apr 18, 2007
Radford, VA
i'm originally from the town that the appalachian law school shooting took place. while that was a terrible thing to happen in such a small town...it's really nothing close to what happened in blacksburg. grundy is a town of only a few thousand people and VT i hear has a student population of around 26,000.

it's true that the appalachian shooting could have been worse than it actually was. there was a grocery store less than 50 yards from the campus so he could've easily killed more if he hadn't been stopped. the thing with VT is...this guy was a student...so if they had locked campus down he still could've killed people in dorms or wherever else in the town if he hadn't been taken down first.

either way, it's horrible that something like this could happen less than 30 minutes from where i currently live (radford, VA) and it definitely hits home. it just sucks that so many people argue about it say that if more people had guns it could've been prevented. nobody knows how they would react in a violent situation like that. sorry for the somewhat lengthy post

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
There's a lot of stupid flying around in this thread. Look at other countries, look at common sense: the easiest way to kill someone is with a gun. It's lethal, fast, relatively inexpensive, easy to use and distances a killer from the victim (in a few ways; it's harder mentally, emotionally and physically to, say, stab someone in the chest than shoot them with a gun). Restrict guns and gun violence decreases. Whether we can or should have tougher gun control is a somewhat separate issues from whether lax laws increase violence.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
There's a lot of stupid flying around in this thread. Look at other countries, look at common sense: the easiest way to kill someone is with a gun. It's lethal, fast, relatively inexpensive, easy to use and distances a killer from the victim (in a few ways; it's harder mentally, emotionally and physically to, say, stab someone in the chest than shoot them with a gun). Restrict guns and gun violence decreases. Whether we can or should have tougher gun control is a somewhat separate issues from whether lax laws increase violence.
Yep....people are lazy...especially big fat americans. Make something difficult, chances are they won't do it.....