Quantcast

Hadley 108 freehub?

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Does anyone know where to get a 108 point hadley freehub and how much they usually are? Also where do you get the hadley hub tools, I saw a thread about a whole set of hadley tools awhile back but I can seem to find it?

Oct 30, 2006
Hadley does not produce the 108 engagement point freehubs anymore. They stopped making them 2 or 3 years ago I think. They broke too often. Only 72 now. Most stores dont have any left in inventory either......

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Hadley does not produce the 108 engagement point freehubs anymore. They stopped making them 2 or 3 years ago I think. They broke too often. Only 72 now. Most stores dont have any left in inventory either......
Do you know of any shops thats still have them in stock and where can you purchase the hadley hub tools.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
Go-Ride normally stocks them. I think the whole set is around $65.

On a side note you can just use standard Pin type spanner and cone wrenches. The pin wrench you need is the Park with the red handle. No need to buy the Hadley set other then convenience.

What hub width do you need? I have a Gold 150mm 108, but it's part of a whole wheelset. I do have separate 135mm hub and I can swap out the drive shell which is the only difference between the 108 and 36pt.

Keep in mind the 108 is only single pawl engagement. So it is not a strong as the 3pt engagement. Hence, why they discontinued it.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Go-Ride normally stocks them. I think the whole set is around $65.

On a side note you can just use standard Pin type spanner and cone wrenches. The pin wrench you need is the Park with the red handle. No need to buy the Hadley set other then convenience.

What hub width do you need? I have a Gold 150mm 108, but it's part of a whole wheelset. I do have separate 135mm hub and I can swap out the drive shell which is the only difference between the 108 and 36pt.

Keep in mind the 108 is only single pawl engagement. So it is not a strong as the 3pt engagement. Hence, why they discontinued it.
I already have a 150x12 hadley rear hub, i was just thinking about upgrading it to the 108 point freehub but if its only a single pawl then i wont. Thanks for the tip with the park tool spanner, I'll just buy that instead of the hadley tools.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I already have a 150x12 hadley rear hub, i was just thinking about upgrading it to the 108 point freehub but if its only a single pawl then i wont. Thanks for the tip with the park tool spanner, I'll just buy that instead of the hadley tools.
I think you also need (to do it "right") a thin 21mm wrench, with the ghetto fix being buying a park 20mm cone wrench and filing it out to 21mm.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i have 4 108 free hubs. if you keep them clean and take them apart once in a while. i haven't had a issue. and new pawls help too.

i wish i could get more 108 freehubs.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
I think you also need (to do it "right") a thin 21mm wrench, with the ghetto fix being buying a park 20mm cone wrench and filing it out to 21mm.
Good point. I usually just grab other side with channellock pliers with a piece of rubber for protection. Normally they aren't to tight so it works fine in a pinch.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
Hey James

Just an FYI

The 108 is still 3 pawl. Its just that only one pawl engages at a time. With the 108 the pawls are just "clocked" at slightly different engagement points so that each pawl engages progressively quicker as the hub rotates. Hope that make sense. Kinda of hard to explain. But in a nutshell, this allowed Hadley to make a faster engaging hub while using the same 36 "notched" shell.

Just thought I'd point that out, since usually someone will chime in a swear the 108 has 3 pawls not 1.

And as DHS said, the 108 are pretty reliable if you keep them maintained.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Ok, I thought it was only a single pawl hub, does anyone know where to get a 108 point freehub.

Oct 30, 2006
What grease do you guys use inside a hadley hub? Phil tenacious oil or grease or should I just use my King "special"ring drive grease. If its good enough for Kings, it good enough for anything right?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
What grease do you guys use inside a hadley hub? Phil tenacious oil or grease or should I just use my King "special"ring drive grease. If its good enough for Kings, it good enough for anything right?
If you call Hadley they will send you a container of grease and a set of new seals for free. It's a very thin clear grease.

909-946-6780

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Ok, I thought it was only a single pawl hub, does anyone know where to get a 108 point freehub.
As others have said, you wont find any 108 hubs or freehubs anymore. The deal (according to Hadley) is that they needed a very high quality of titanium to make the 108s reliable. That grade of ti is difficult/impossible to source at this time..so they went to 72pt (4 total pawls with two opposite pawls engaging at a time) that does not need the same level of material, as the frehub is evenly loaded via two pawls.

Just get a 72, they feel just as fast and they should be more durable (although I have never had an issue with either of my 108s...nor my 72).

You can get any part/tool/grease/etc you need direct from Hadley. They are super nice and have helped me every time I have needed something.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
neither. call hadley. use their grease.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
just another piece of advice, if you are running a 20mm front hub, i'd recommend laying down the money for the Hadley toolkit. The cone wrench size you need are not standard (21 or 22mm I believe) and I don't think Park tool makes this size. If they do, most shops (at least any shop I've ever been too) don't have them, even for the mechanics.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Does anyone know if Hadley ever made a 150x12mm hub with 108pt engagement

thanks in advance!

The 108pt was just a different freehub body. So yes, you could order a 150 with a 108 body. Just like you can upgrade your 36pt to a 72pt for $10 if you order one now.
The 108s where made before the 150mm hubs became almost standard so they are going to be kinda rare. That, and the tight engagement is much more noticeable on a trail bike than a DH bike.

Jump Chump

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
A, A
call hadley. use their grease.
Just for future reference, Hadley told me to apply a light coat of Super Lube to the freehub body. I ordered a can from Amazon. The stuff is very light and slippery (not like sticky Tenacious).

> "Super Lube Synthetic Grease With PTFE Teflon 41160 14 Oz Jar"
> Misc.; $10.50
> Sold by: AAA Industrial Supply

Also, the Hadley tool kit is very nice.

And Hadley CS rocks.

damon

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2008
Hadley Racing
1937 West 11 Street Unit "A"
Upland, CA 91786

1-909-946-6780 M-F 9 to 6 pm Pacific time.

Please, these folks are a small business, have your hub model and part numbers from the hubs and axle types too, written down before calling. Also have your questions ready and your credit card ready to go, their time is very valuable.

Mike Hadley is the best in the business, don't abuse him with stupid questions, get a seal and bearing kit and a wrench kit instead of being a cheapskate. Or just call them and send it in for them to R &R your hubs. You'll know it's done right, instead of by some nut job kid getting minimum wage at a bike shop as a bike mechanic, that really knows nothing about the precision required for working on these hubs to preset the tension on the bearings.

Keep in mind, these are Racing Hubs, they need to be torn down and serviced regularly.

Don't pressure wash them and if you ride in mud and water, they will need to be torn down and regreased more frequently, also bearings may flat out have to be replaced.

I think they don't have a website to prevent having to waste time answering snail emails, when a phone call is 108 times faster than an email. Plus 90% of you use text message code instead of writing things out.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Please, these folks are a small business, have your hub model and part numbers from the hubs and axle types too, written down before calling. Also have your questions ready and your credit card ready to go, their time is very valuable.

Mike Hadley is the best in the business, don't abuse him with stupid questions

Keep in mind, these are Racing Hubs, they need to be torn down and serviced regularly.

Don't pressure wash them and if you ride in mud and water, they will need to be torn down and regreased more frequently, also bearings may flat out have to be replaced.

I think they don't have a website to prevent having to waste time answering snail emails, when a phone call is 108 times faster than an email. Plus 90% of you use text message code instead of writing things out.
So what you're saying is, unlike every other business these days whose policies involve lines like "the customer comes first" and "the customer is always right", you think the consumer should in this case bend over backwards to help out a business - because the money they hand over isn't enough. You can't possibly be serious.

I'm not saying hadley's service isn't great (I'm sure it is), in fact I have never even experienced it due to them refusing to have a website - a little backwards in this day and age, and a little difficult for customers who aren't lucky enough to live in America. But regardless, if I hadn't owned hadleys before, from your post I would assume that:

- The people at hadley value their time more than their customers
- The people at hadley have no time to answer simple questions
- Hadley will ditch hundreds of potential customers because a few write in "text message code".
- Hadley just want your credit card details, fast
- Hadley hubs not only cost a tonne, but need to be serviced excessively often
- Hadley hubs are excessively sensitive to water and mud, something that is incredibly common in many parts of the world, and on the world cup circuit

Any reason I wouldn't just buy hopes? :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Any reason I wouldn't just buy hopes? :)
can hubs leak brake fluid/oil?

but seriously, i have to agree. Don't defend bad practices; if you can sell a hub for $300 a pop you can support them the way your customers want. If not, we'll be happy to buy other components. I don't know who you are, but it sounds like you work for them, and it sounds like I'll buy other hubs to build up my next race bike.

PS, what in the hell is a "snail email"? I would love to know.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
Hmmm?

Well, I'm not sure who you are Mr. Trout, but I've never gotten a inkling of that kind of attitude from Hadley.

I've been dealing with Hadley for at least 6 years. They've always been polite and courteous. I never felt like I was being rushed or they just wanted my money. As matter of fact, last I called, I mentioned a race I was going to and the lady I spoke with spent several minutes just chatting about racing.

I don't know if you are a rep for the company, If you are, you ought to be fired. You sound like a tool.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Not that I'm aware of? It basically uses a crimped leaf spring (that tends to basically crumble) to preload the pawls vs. the Hadley that uses a tiny coil spring.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Not that I'm aware of? It basically uses a crimped leaf spring (that tends to basically crumble) to preload the pawls vs. the Hadley that uses a tiny coil spring.
ahh...no video needed w/ that explanation then.

every bike ive had for the past 7 years has had only hadleys on them

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hmmm?

Well, I'm not sure who you are Mr. Trout, but I've never gotten a inkling of that kind of attitude from Hadley.

I've been dealing with Hadley for at least 6 years. They've always been polite and courteous. I never felt like I was being rushed or they just wanted my money. As matter of fact, last I called, I mentioned a race I was going to and the lady I spoke with spent several minutes just chatting about racing.

I don't know if you are a rep for the company, If you are, you ought to be fired. You sound like a tool.
Yea I'm gonna have to agree. While I haven't been dealing with Hadley for nearly as long, I've had nothing but A+ service from them. Friendly, polite, and quick, they like bikes, bikers, and talking about bikes. Not unlike Henry James (whom I was very fortunate to have had the pleasure of meeting personally, oh and his wife too!).

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Does anyone know if Hadley ever made a 150x12mm hub with 108pt engagement

thanks in advance!
Indeed they did.

I have a 108pt. SDH XL R6.1 (150mm x 12mm) on my Sunday which will be transferred shortly to my new EVIL Revolt. I got the last one Scott had in stock over at Go-Ride back in the summer of 06'. Since then, Hadley has stopped production on them because it was too expensive to make them in this configuration.

AWESOME engagement though. As good if not better than a King.