Quantcast

Hamburg Rd....

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
can i post a video of the watershed trails or is that a no-no (not from shuttlin', just from trail riding)

rm1

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
i have some cool footage from up there too. Can anyone tell me how you post video on a forum like this.

rm1

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
Well here is my attempt at putting videos on the web. I dont want to hear about how crappy the editting is because i really just dont care. I had to break it down in to 3 clips because all those sites only give you 100mb and 10 min max. Another thing is all the clips run from the top of the trail straight to the bottom and the breaks came from either one of us screwing up or a bike breaking.

drop trails- guy with no shirt also has no chain

daviniser and the lower half of evolution

pantyline

All these trails are in the shed if you havnt seen them before.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Nice vids, looks like people have been doing some serious trail work up there, kudos to them.

Maybe i'll get up there and ride again sometime........ we'll see. I'm also suprised no one has bitched and moaned to take those videos off the :monkey:
;)

rm1

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
I am sorta suprised as well but when i edited it i tried to make sure that none of the trailheads were visible to anyone who didnt already know where they were.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
How do I not know this place? Its like heaven, with moss.

Once it cools down I see that place giving good fall riding. Anyone feel the overwhelming sense of generosity to show the VB monkey pack that trail?

Pi31412

Chimp
May 30, 2006
Sorry about the broken link. It should be...
Super High Quality (200MB, 13 mins)

When I get home I'll see about making a smaller version for people without pimpin' broadband like me. But frankly I would rather wait and actually be able to see the trail than just download something small.

Either way, I'll post probably a half sized version later when I get a chance.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I got some nice late evening runs in last night. I finally got up the nerve to hit the last jump on piperun. Once nice and slow and once nice and fast. Glad to have that monkey off my back.

What do people think of that bucky kicker on piperun? I think it's the third one from the top. It launched me into a nice nose wheelie and threw my buddy OTB. It might could use a bit of dirt to give it a bit less kick. Just a thought.

Pi31412

Chimp
May 30, 2006
All the kickers on that line need rehabbing badly. Need to get back there and do at least some preventative maintanence. We (and by we I mean someone else, while I watched) fixed up the lip on the last big one a month back.

I'm tempted but the problem is I don't like working on other people's trails especially if I don't know who built it or if they'll even appreciate my effort. With the exception of the micro-kicker just before the halfpipe I think they could all use a bit of shaping....and probably some trannies if they get much bigger. I'm more than willing to help (just not on a 100 degree day).

Who's got a quad? Surely in Fredneck someone's gotta have a quad for getting stuff up the mountain for people too lazy to walk from the car. ;)

rm1

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
Feel free to fix whatever you want. I say dig a landing for it too while your at it.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
jdschall said:
I got some nice late evening runs in last night. I finally got up the nerve to hit the last jump on piperun. Once nice and slow and once nice and fast. Glad to have that monkey off my back.

What do people think of that bucky kicker on piperun? I think it's the third one from the top. It launched me into a nice nose wheelie and threw my buddy OTB. It might could use a bit of dirt to give it a bit less kick. Just a thought.
I got a face full of tree limbs on that jump my last time up there. The jump used to buck me but now I'm used to it.

Pi31412

Chimp
May 30, 2006
The "storming Waco Texas" tactical look. Heh heh.

I never noticed how much better it was to ride with goggles until I rode the other night in my full facer without them. Tree branches in the face at high speeds really is annoying.

rm1

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
Well Piperun aka pipeline aka fire road are on a diffrenet side of the mt. Come out some time and either i or someone will show you around.

rm1

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
Thanks for the compliments about the video. I never thought about using eye of the tiger but your right that would have been pretty funny. We just got bored one day and i broke out my video helmet from skydiving and figured what the hell.

rm1

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
Same start as pantyline, E trail, Homo. I really cant describe it but if you dont know where it is i assure you that you wont find it. Pm if you want to ride and i can show you better than i can explain it.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
The pipe run has been up there in various forms for years and years. It started out to my knowledge as just a jeep/fire road from top to bottom, but as seasons & storms felled trees and carried rocks of varying size across it, local riders would ramp up and stack in the obstacles so that it could still be ridden w/o dismounting. Friends and I have been maintaining that trail for years, but so have a number of other people both local and from NVA. I don't see it as possible to get permission from the trail builder because there are many different people who have contributed sweat equity to keep it up and running. Now as to who added the little singletrack part at the top from the radio tower, I have been told who it was but don't remember the name or even know I was told correctly. We used to not do the singletrack part regularly and would just shuttle the gulley/fireroad part until an adjacent landowner dug up the top few hundred yards of it with a backhoe to install underground lines. That area has recovered from being a total mudbog since, but the top is less rocky now and unless someone wants to hit the natural halfpipe, I'd just as soon dodge the one climb and do the singletrack portion until it dumps into the pipe run. I hope this history lesson was helpful.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
KD1569 said:
In terms of "fixing" do you mean put up some crude stunts that will get us shut out of the shed once someone gets seriously hurt?? Just wondering.

KD1569
Cyclist

In terms of being a jerk, do you mean you think you own public land and are the only one that can ride and build there? just wondering.

rm1

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
Take it easy on him because it sounds like he knows my style of building. The point should not be how "crude" something is but rather is it rideable and fun or unrideable and pointless. So far everything i have ever built is very rideable if you have the skill to ride it. What will get us kicked off the mountain is building stunts PERIOD. Doesnt matter if you spend $200 on nice pressure treated wood or used scap from a wood shop. Not to mention it's up to every rider to decide what is within their skill level and be willing to accept the consequences if things dont go according to plan. But if you want to start paying $20 a day to go ride the shed with nice well made stunts then feel to keep right on complaining.

onetime

Monkey
Aug 31, 2004
in a pond
Hamburg road is open, all work complete.

By the way, people do notice the trail handy work- I hope that I never have to say I told you so.

Pi31412

Chimp
May 30, 2006
I'll be up there Sunday, probably with the other usual suspects. Thinking maybe I'll ride a bit of the northern territory, or at least more than usual, and do a bit of filming.

Onetime's recently pointed out that I tend to be abrasive [I'm just misunderstood!]. So I leave you all with this...

Hugs not drugs. Hugs not hate. ;)

BigMike said:
In terms of being a jerk, do you mean you think you own public land and are the only one that can ride and build there? just wondering.

No I don't think that was my point. All it takes is some grom to go up there and break his neck, then his parents wanna know who they can sue to make up the $$$$$$ in bills from UM Shock Trauma. (which in the state of MD is no-one...contiribtitory neglegence (sp?)) but, either way that brings more attention to an already sketchy situation up there. All I'm saying is keep it safe. Also keep it eco-friendly. The IMBA guy (Nat) went on a tour there and was really impressed with some of the trail work, and not so impressed with others. I have his card and rode with him and a bunch of trail-crew at Whistler for the last week. I would love to share the knowledge. Plus IMBA has a book on how to build trails, and I think someone has it that posts here. And I'm gonna get a copy myself.

KD1569
cyclist