Quantcast

Handlebars

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
ok im looking for a new bar.

its gotta be low rise and nice and wide and a 31.8 sinc ethat the stem i have unless i can get some spacers

the 3 top choices are

Answer Protaper
Easton Monkey light dh

and lastly the Sunline V1

The first two are obviously top notch, but i dont know much about the sunline stuff

so what comments does anyone that has used 2 or more of them have to compare, any help would be awesome

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
low rise protapers arent that wide. maybe 26"? ok if your a small guy like me. dunno how wide you want them.

easton monkeylites are pretty good. 28" wide. switched out my protapers for these for some weight savings. expensive though.

sunlines are avail in longer length. ~30". lot of people like them. not as expensive, but weigh a little more than the eastons.

NOOP

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
Sunline V1's are top notch. They are the perfect width, especially if you're looking for a wide, but not ridiculously wide, bar. They also have a nice sweep to them. I run them on my AM & DH bikes, and honestly, they feel perfect, to me.

I've also run Easton bars... they're good, but I really prefer the V1's.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

www.edgecomposites.com

The edge bars are the single best product i've used since the Cane Creek Double Barrel. The strongest handlebar in the world... Just about the lightest, the perfect amount of flex, and a perfect shape. They are only 28" wide at the moment, but for people who can put up with that they are absolutely beyond compare... Except for my DH bike and my road and cross bikes, every single bike I own has em... If I liked 28" bars they'd be on my DH bike without a doubt, in fact it bums me out that I don't have them on my DH bike, as they are seriously that good. Edge stuff is just tangibly better than anything else.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I run Monkey lite DH's on both my DH bike and trailbike. Great bars. 28"s seems plenty wide for me. I'd like to try 30's on my DH bike some day but I get the feeling I'd be banging them off of evrything.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
I run Monkey lite DH's on both my DH bike and trailbike. Great bars. 28"s seems plenty wide for me. I'd like to try 30's on my DH bike some day but I get the feeling I'd be banging them off of evrything.
if i manage to make it out for the super d next month mind if i try um?

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
go deity dirty 30 or the sunlines. the protapers, as noted earlier, are very narrow and skinny. eastons are decent bars, used to be my fav's but not after riding the dirty 30's. the width, lack or rise, and bends feel awesome!

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Sunline V1's are top notch. They are the perfect width, especially if you're looking for a wide, but not ridiculously wide, bar. They also have a nice sweep to them. I run them on my AM & DH bikes, and honestly, they feel perfect, to me.

I've also run Easton bars... they're good, but I really prefer the V1's.
:stupid:

Im really liking the feel of my v1s.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
for sure!
You should definetly come for the Super-D
We'll go do some DH at the secret location too.
cool, my fork should be in this week so hopefully ill be ready by then.

as for size, im 5'8" so do i really need to go 30? or would i find it overkill

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I like my Sunlines a lot. My previous Funn Full Ons were good too, but I prefer a bit wider.

Too bad the Edge bars don't come in 29-30" width, they sound amazing!

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
I like how quickly it has turned to 'only 28" bars'. Heck, I must be stuck in the dark ages with my 27" mid rise Easton's

/small rant

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
another vote for the diety bars, i wish they werent a shiny finish but whatever, best bars i have run for dh hands down...i cut mine to 29...east coast was giving me a bit of trouble...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Second the Monkey lites. They are light but really can take a very hard beating. Mine look like crap and still hold very well (even though some ppl think I should upgrade my insurance because of them ;) )

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
i run v1's on my dh bike, i actually just put a new set on since i bent my old ones. but i vote big bars, if you dont like the width you can always cut them down to whatever size you prefer.

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
The Sunline V1 bars are now sold in 711mm or 745mm widths in both the 19mm and 38mm rise. You don't have to cut them if you want 28" bars. The 38mm rise in the 745mm width is new.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
another vote for the diety bars, i wish they werent a shiny finish but whatever, best bars i have run for dh hands down...i cut mine to 29...east coast was giving me a bit of trouble...
The shiny finish is a grat feature of all deity bars. Why? Because you will be able to use bmx grips without twisting them.

I use Animal Edwin grips on my deity bars and will never go back to my old ruffians lock on.

The key is to stretch em when you put the grips. And cut the ears.

High end bmx grips are: longer, softer, lighter and gripier...

I use them without gloves

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The Sunline V1 bars are now sold in 711mm or 745mm widths in both the 19mm and 38mm rise. You don't have to cut them if you want 28" bars. The 38mm rise in the 745mm width is new.

Nice, although I thought what you were offering was perfect and the correct way to offer bar sizes.

Narrower and taller for the smaller bike (shorter fork and the need for faster steering) and super low and wiiide for the big bike giving stability and keeping the front low.

BTW been very happy with all my V1 bars. Light, great feel/size, and have held up well.

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
What about Burgtec ride wide bars?
Certanly look nice, but they are REALLY expensive (at least compared to US pricing of similar bars). I replace my bars after a full hard season at least, or if they get hacked from a hard fall......doing that with bergtecs could get very costly..

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I really like the 7075 FR bar from Syncros. They are light/strong and the graphics look pretty cool.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
well, after looking at the options....
compairing prices, wieghts etc, i found the EA70 dh bar. its about the width my shorter arms are comfortable with (30 may be great, but i think its just simply to long for me) and much cheaper then the monkey light, gotter on order and cant wait

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I'm absolutely loving the feel of my Burgtec RideWide LoRise.

Then again, I am stinking filthy rich and money means nothing to me whatsoever.

Liar. Not about the bars, they are great!

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
well, after looking at the options....
compairing prices, wieghts etc, i found the EA70 dh bar. its about the width my shorter arms are comfortable with (30 may be great, but i think its just simply to long for me) and much cheaper then the monkey light, gotter on order and cant wait
:disgust1:should have gone wide.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I just received some Sunlines from Beyond Bikes expecting the 745mm width. Nope. 711 is what I got... Will see how much wider they feel than my EA70s (I don't want to go too wide else I wont get down some the trails here) before deciding whether or not to return them.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i love my eastons monkey lites, but do wish they were just a bit wider.

30s are nice, but on tighter tracks, they do get in the way. feel a bit awkward when you need to steer a lot. but thats just my opinion. i know loads of riders that love em, bigger riders mainly.