Quantcast

Handlebars.

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
I want to try some wider and lower bars for my Stinky. I tent to airplane jumps and keep my weight on my rear wheel too much. I'm thinking about getting Atlas bars, but I've thought about getting flat bars, and I want to know which bars will be better (Flat vs low rise). I'll be using them for DH/FR, and I don't race.

I just switched to Deity Dirty 30's and love them. They give me more control of the front end allowing me to input more leverage. I feel more stable in the gnar rocky stuff and more stable as I leave the ground. My jumps and drops have improved already in the short time I've owned them

JM2C YMMV

I don't know anything about the Atlas bars.....sorry!

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
im really digging my new race face atlas bars, they are very comfortable. i ran sunline 29's for 2 years and than made the switch to the atlas bars and have not even considered going back. they have sweep and rise to them, plus come in awesome colors to match your rig.

give em a try.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I vote for the Truvativ BooBar. 20mm rise, 780mm wide, and a very nice 7 degree backsweep, which I find to be way more comfortable than the 9 degree sweep used by most brands these days.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Element technic nicklel wide - 760mm, zero rise, 9deg backsweep and 299g weight. They made my bike ride and turn muuuuch better. Never going back.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Deitys, sunlines, or just about anything over 29". I have Kore 800s (torsions) in 20mm rise and I love them but they're a tad too wide. It's not bad enough to bother cutting them, and I love the added width compared to my old 26" bars.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
im really digging my new race face atlas bars, they are very comfortable. i ran sunline 29's for 2 years and than made the switch to the atlas bars and have not even considered going back. they have sweep and rise to them, plus come in awesome colors to match your rig.

give em a try.
For everyone's info, who has these for sale currently?

Edit: nevermind... Jenson has them. I didn't think they were already available.

Last edited:

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Another option to consider is the Nuke Proofs, they are 30", and lighter and cheaper than many other options.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you want some flat bars, I have a set of 800mm Kores I'm going to be selling soon for a pretty low price...PM me if you're interested.

/spam

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
Ok so if I can get NickelWides or Kores in the US without shipping them from the UK I'll get those, but if not I'll get Atlas'.

EDIT: Are there any other Flat bars that I could look at?

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I still don't really know if I want flat bars or low risers though. I'm afraid flat bars will be wack on freeride/jump terrain.
I did a very jumpy race last weekend and had no problems with my flats.
From flats I think sunline also started making them and also reverse has a very similar bar to elemenet (look for solid bikes distr. as reverse is their component brand).

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Having grown accustomed to the appearance of riser bars, flat bars seem so odd and my imagination sees them as not working 'right'

Craziness, but who can tell me if theres any characteristic of a flat bar that makes it feel signifacntly different, and not just look unusual (to me.)

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
Having grown accustomed to the appearance of riser bars, flat bars seem so odd and my imagination sees them as not working 'right'

Craziness, but who can tell me if theres any characteristic of a flat bar that makes it feel signifacntly different, and not just look unusual (to me.)
Lower front end so better cornering etc. You are more over the front of the bike.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle

If the mfg takes into account the compound bend in a typical riser bar and incorporates that into their flat bar, then they feel exactly the same apart from the rise. A 9* by 4* riser is NOT the same as a 9* flat bar. Flat bars need a degree or two more backsweep and be rotated 'up' to accomidate/equate the upsweep of riser bars.

I just put on a set of Gravity 777 bars. 777m wide, 10* sweep, and lighter than the wide risers that they replaced. They look like upswept aircraft wings not bars, but the feel the same as any riser of the same width....

So, to the OP, Gravity 777s are avialable here in the US, are flat, wide, light, have a good bend, and are silver. New atlas's look good as well if you want some rise, can find them in stock, and can deal with the (hideous imo) colors.

Last edited:

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
So, to the OP, Gravity 777s are avialable here in the US, are flat, wide, light, have a good bend, and are silver. New atlas's look good as well if you want some rise, can find them in stock, and can deal with the (hideous imo) colors.
Where can you buy the Gravity 777's? Those were my first choice but some google searches yielded no results.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Well since you are in the Seattle area, I would suggest Fluidride. If they dont have them in stock, they should be able to get you a set in a couple of days (FSA/Gravity is in Woodinville).

If you want to play mail order, universal cycles says that they have them in stock.