Quantcast

Happy to have a job?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Or not.....
In the past 3 years I've actually made less each year. Resulting in almost $15k difference from 2007 to 2009.

Is this a bad sign at my job or just the economic times?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What is your industry? Also, didn't you recently take on a more risky job that had the potential of better pay, but more risk of less?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
What is your industry? Also, didn't you recently take on a more risky job that had the potential of better pay, but more risk of less?
I was going to but the guy who said he would pay me then decided he didn't want to before I made any changes.

Architecture

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Has your work flow dropped? I've seen a lot of people who are not revenue generators (ie sales people, rain makers, etc) get pay cuts. While those who bring in revenue are getting paid more because they are more valuable than ever right now. Companies can't afford to lose incoming funds right now.

I'm in finance (as we all know), and those who are generating revenues are getting paid more, while those who are not are often getting cut, leaving the rest with more work/flow, adding to their already larger revenue streams.

My company which was very much 'be happy you have a job' until mid-year, tried to play that card on one of our most senior people (someone we really needed), and they bailed. Long term it will probably cost us about 300-400% of what was asked for us to replace that individual. Since then the company has become very flexible with work arrangements and has been increasing (at least talking about it, as bonuses aren't out yet) both bonus and base pay for rain makers.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I just had similar conversations with my folks... We arent out of the woods just yet, and being conservative will hopefully get us out and keep us out. However we are slowly getting back into the giving raises and hiring folks.

That being said 1 in every 10 folks are still out of work and the number has been reported to be almost 3 in 10 are under-employed. So tread carefully if you are planning on playing that card.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My salary is a funny thing to look at over the years.

1995-2010 in annual salary:
35k, 40k, 48k, 55k, 60k, 70k, 85k, 50k, 55k, 32k, 40k, 48k, 60k, 68k, 75k, 45k.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
To parrot Rob, I have heard of more people being let loose after puling the you need me more than I need you. Every once in a while you get a DoubleLine/TCW like situation where the person is critical, and takes 40% of your staff and 50% of your business, but it's rare.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My salary is a funny thing to look at over the years.

1995-2010 in annual salary:
35k, 40k, 48k, 55k, 60k, 70k, 85k, 50k, 55k, 32k, 40k, 48k, 60k, 68k, 75k, 45k.
Now benchmark that against a non-USD asset (say gold/oil) which are bell weathers of inflation and begin swearing.

My company knows that we have some very smart people, so they benchmark any raises to correlate to inflation. They use CPI, which is a joke because it doesn't include petrol/food, but at least they try.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Stosh, what has the companies revenue done over the same period? Or more importantly revenue per employee?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
To parrot Rob, I have heard of more people being let loose after puling the you need me more than I need you. Every once in a while you get a DoubleLine/TCW like situation where the person is critical, and takes 40% of your staff and 50% of your business, but it's rare.
In addition I am in the process of interviewing folks for an opening now. If they baulk at the hourly rate, I have been just passing. As I do not want someone starting day 1 already with the position that they are under paid.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Stosh, what has the companies revenue done over the same period? Or more importantly revenue per employee?
Same or less.

My needs within that time changed to include a house a marriage and 2 kids.... ughhh

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Scale down where you can. If you can somewhat compartmentalize your house for heating, you can eliminate the heat in 1-2 rooms which can help stay bills. Buy food in large bulk, planning out meals a week or two in advance. Also, cut back to essentials for other purchases.

We gave ourselves a moderate allowance from our income, then the rest goes to saving. In doing so, we have dropped our monthly expenditures by $500. It's not a lot, but it's more money in the bank.

Have you tried using Quicken or the like to see where you can cut expenses? Seeing how much we were spending on certain things really opened our eyes up to where we could save.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My income has gone up steadily even though base comp has been frozen since 2008. 20% of my comp package is performance based & 15% is standards based. Those that can bring home the bacon while exceeding company operational standards for profit & performance are doing quite well. No one in the field has lost their job but many in the home office have. The home office has no revenue base without the field.

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I don't make squat, hence the reason I'm back in school. But I'm really glad just to have a job right now.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I took a pay cut and had to take a crappy job to stay with the company but move to a different location. I keep waiting for an opening to come up in my old position (PC desktop and network support, 2nd/3rd level) at one of our hospitals close to my house but no luck in 2 years. I am now considering moving to a new company or going back to school for additional training.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
I took a pay cut and had to take a crappy job to stay with the company but move to a different location. I keep waiting for an opening to come up in my old position (PC desktop and network support, 2nd/3rd level) at one of our hospitals close to my house but no luck in 2 years. I am now considering moving to a new company or going back to school for additional training.
Thou shall obtain education and rise above thy serf's.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I also made $15,000 less in 2009 than I did in 2007.

I might be out of work in 2 weeks. Managment told us our salary will go away if we do not hit a end of month goal. No one is close to making it happen.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Mine has been flat for three to five years now, which is going down cause of inflation.

Being in a pissing contest with management has done me no favors, but they are on the edge of retirement, they don't want to do anything anymore, and I basically call them on it.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
i havent worked 1 day since dec 15th 2008. im a union carpenter, 4th year apprentice. not even at full rate and i havent worked in over a year. but i am getting "terminated" feb 3rd. im done with their bullsh!t, im not a union carpenter at heart either. i have sent a hand full of resumes out to jobs looking to hire. hopefully get picked up by one...

sorry for the rant! had to get it out!

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
i havent worked 1 day since dec 15th 2008. im a union carpenter, 4th year apprentice. not even at full rate and i havent worked in over a year. but i am getting "terminated" feb 3rd. im done with their bullsh!t, im not a union carpenter at heart either. i have sent a hand full of resumes out to jobs looking to hire. hopefully get picked up by one...

sorry for the rant! had to get it out!
The union sucks. Get a yob in the bike industry. I know it is the only way I will be happy.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Even companies that aren't really suffering are using the "You're lucky to have a job card." to cut salaries and benefits. Turning us into a indentured or slave labor workforce at the sametime making us do the work of 4-5 people.

It's all about the CEO bonus'.

It's all about the shareholders.

It's all going to collapse soon.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
raises have been frozen at my job for about 18 months now and will continue through at least july when the new budget comes out. it kinda sucks when you get a timed promotion that is supposed to have a 10% raise only to realize that you'll never see it...ever, not even when the freeze is off. i've got a 5% promotion coming up in august and i doubt i'll see that money...yet my responsibility increases.
oh well, at least i love my job. we're not laying people off, just not filling empty slots right now which makes the job more difficult. i try to stay as busy as possible with as many useful attributes as i can get...ie: firearms instructor, less-lethal/chemical munitions instructor, police mtb instructor, gang intelligence, foreign language...etc.... the more valuable i am the less likely i'll get cut if/when it gets really bad.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
JD was that the same job or different jobs?
Different jobs. I go through 1 year cycles on average. In 2001 when I went from my high to a 33% reduction in pay to reserve capital (company wide) only to close our door at the end of that year to a job I hated in software to giving up software an driving a tow truck for 6 months.

I was at Arris for 18 months, left for 4, then came back for 18 more before skipping town. That is the longest I've been with any company. 4 of the companies on my resume no longer exist and 2 other have changed hands more than a drunk chick at a frat party.

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
Even companies that aren't really suffering are using the "You're lucky to have a job card." to cut salaries and benefits. Turning us into a indentured or slave labor workforce at the sametime making us do the work of 4-5 people.

It's all about the CEO bonus'.

It's all about the shareholders.

It's all going to collapse soon.
This is what is making my blood boil.

I work at a major candy company and have been there for 20 years. We always do well when there is a depression, especially now.

One week they tell us how sales are better than ever, THEN THEY GO AND CUT MY PAY! It's not like we are working 4 days a week. We run 24-7 for 13 days in a row from March to Oct. for crissakes!

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I took at 10,000 a year pay cut to work the job I am working now. It was working out ok, but TN got laid off last week. We are currently chasing the dream of alternative forms of employment. I'll let oyu know how it pans out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I took at 10,000 a year pay cut to work the job I am working now. It was working out ok, but TN got laid off last week. We are currently chasing the dream of alternative forms of employment. I'll let oyu know how it pans out.
Dealin' or pimpin'?

Just so you know, it ain't easy.

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm sorry to hear that. I've always held you two in high regard... despite your hippie ways - :)