Quantcast

Harley owners are getting on my nerves

pZyteX

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
Amsterdam
Ah, but there many more car accidents than motorcycle accidents.
I'm assuming you mean relatively?
Honestly I don't know the statistics, but I think it's a safe bet that the average motorcyclist costs more in emergency care over the cost of his life than the average car driver.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That's true, but there are so many more cars on the road, there are a lot more accidents.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I only have one response to people scoff at helmets or the gear: it is my problem because my taxes pay for your emergency care. And if it is a rider in my party, there I am most likely the one to assist in a medical situation.
And for that, on the inside of my helmet it reads......" DNR.." In big ass letters.

Seriously guys, your traveling at freeway speeds on a motorcycle, you crash.... Unless you are in full motoGP gear your getting hurt... badly. A full face without a neck roll/support doesnt do much when you hit head first at 70 MPH into another vehicle does it.........

Seriously, I am the rider if you see I have been out for more than five minutes..... just stop and let me go. At that point I would be too worried I would wake up an invalid or a vegetable...... I would rather my life insurance go towards my wife being able to pay off the house, cars, everything we have and be able to move on comfortably, that to have her use it all up taking care of vegetable me.....

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Just go slow on your moto and everything will be alright. Until you get rundown by the soccer mom in the Ford Expedition who is so busy on the phone she won't even notice that you were turned into a speed bump.

:thumb: :p

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
And for that, on the inside of my helmet it reads......" DNR.." In big ass letters.

Seriously guys, your traveling at freeway speeds on a motorcycle, you crash.... Unless you are in full motoGP gear your getting hurt... badly. A full face without a neck roll/support doesnt do much when you hit head first at 70 MPH into another vehicle does it.........

Seriously, I am the rider if you see I have been out for more than five minutes..... just stop and let me go. At that point I would be too worried I would wake up an invalid or a vegetable...... I would rather my life insurance go towards my wife being able to pay off the house, cars, everything we have and be able to move on comfortably, that to have her use it all up taking care of vegetable me.....
You don't know that.

Rider went down on his own stupidity, possibly from noticing cop on side of the road.

Without a full face and heavy leather jacket, it would not have been pretty.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
While I can respect ATGATT, I don't adhere to it. Everyone has their own level of risk-tolerance:convenience ratio. I've got mine, and as long as yours is well-informed (Sanjuro's picture is a good start), I'm not going to bug you about it. In the city, I'm in jeans, leather high-tops, then jacket/gloves/full-face. I won't do shorts, and I only very rarely am in low-tops. If I'm on the highway or in the canyons, I'm in full gear.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
While I can respect ATGATT, I don't adhere to it. Everyone has their own level of risk-tolerance:convenience ratio. I've got mine, and as long as yours is well-informed (Sanjuro's picture is a good start), I'm not going to bug you about it. In the city, I'm in jeans, leather high-tops, then jacket/gloves/full-face. I won't do shorts, and I only very rarely am in low-tops. If I'm on the highway or in the canyons, I'm in full gear.
I'm actually the same way, although if I sucked it up and bought a full body mesh suit then I'd probably wear it all the time.

Rick Perry is a part-time motorcycle gear model. Who knew?

On hot days in the city I wear regular pants. I always have a full-face, gloves, textile jacket, and riding boots on, though.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
tons of harley douches here in town.
big thing lately it seems is these douche bags buying their fat ass wife a sportster & teaching them to ride in the lawn. some of them end up dead.

for those that think all HDs are lame....

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
We were parked waiting in line waiting for the ferry to the sunshine coast a couple weekends ago and this wealthy weekend warrior couple idle (barely) past my car. The husband swoops in between a couple of cars ahead of me to change lanes and join up with the rest of the "hogs". The wife attempts the same manoeuvre. Slows down too much, attempts a sort of track stand on her mighty steed, stalls the bike and tips over into the front left bumper of the Infinity she was attempting to cut in front of. To her credit, she avoided scratching the car by pinning her hand between her handlebar and the bumper.

The Infinity owner and another passerby managed to right her vehicle and extract her. Husband did notice and managed to hurry back and complete the manoeuvre for her.

They both really looked the part. Black beanie bandanas and all.

It was quite a show, bro.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Only thing worse than a harley (and that awe-full noise they make from the jacked up timing of the cylinders firing) is a goon in shorts an a T shirt.

A family friend lost their son thanks to some retard not 10 minutes from his house. He was on a short trip, and didn't have enough gear on, and now he's gone. Also not the only harley related funeral I've been to.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Other than my skate shoes, that is my usual attire (jacket, jeans, gloves, full face lid). I have a very nice (but in need of replacement) Icon TiMax textile jacket that is all seasons.

When I first started riding I bought 3 jackets. 1 mesh, 1 leather, and my textile. The leather isn't perf'ed and hot as hell, I've worn it twice. The mesh feels like I am wearing a tank top for protection, wore it once. The Icon is perfect for just about everything but rain.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Used to know with some pretty hardcore biker dudes. Harley riders used to be some scary sh!t. Now it's sad old people trying to relive Easy Rider. And Harley is only rivaled by Hello Kitty for all out brand whoring.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Blind in one eye, can't see fer sh!t out of the other. Yet the bastard can still shoot. WTF?
He done got blowed up by some super radioactive sheet. Now he's all super and sheet. Rides around on his Harley of Solitude saving cats who are stuck in trees and giving candy to little girls.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
tons of harley douches here in town.
big thing lately it seems is these douche bags buying their fat ass wife a sportster & teaching them to ride in the lawn. some of them end up dead.

for those that think all HDs are lame....
Yeah but that was way back when a Sportster was actually a sporting motorcycle. Now? Not so much.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Used to know with some pretty hardcore biker dudes. Harley riders used to be some scary sh!t. Now it's sad old people trying to relive Easy Rider. And Harley is only rivaled by Hello Kitty for all out brand whoring.
if i wanted to relive easy rider, i'd opt for the drug binge

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Other than my skate shoes, that is my usual attire (jacket, jeans, gloves, full face lid). I have a very nice (but in need of replacement) Icon TiMax textile jacket that is all seasons.

When I first started riding I bought 3 jackets. 1 mesh, 1 leather, and my textile. The leather isn't perf'ed and hot as hell, I've worn it twice. The mesh feels like I am wearing a tank top for protection, wore it once. The Icon is perfect for just about everything but rain.
I think boots are just as important as gloves. You could die from a broken ankle.

I went full boat for casual boots and bought these:

Plenty comfortable for walking and sitting at the cube.

But when I am on the highway for extended periods:

Or

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have a pair of these I wear for quicker rides.

But the pegs on the Triumph suck real bad and they lack any true grip. My skate shoes actually work better because I can feel the pegs, but aren't nearly as protective. :rofl:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have a pair of these I wear for quicker rides.

But the pegs on the Triumph suck real bad and they lack any true grip. My skate shoes actually work better because I can feel the pegs, but aren't nearly as protective. :rofl:
Why don't you just replace the pegs? Hate for you to injury your ankle over something a socket wrench could fix.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Why don't you just replace the pegs? Hate for you to injury your ankle over something a socket wrench could fix.
I would if it were my bike. I hope to get a bike of my own soon and will rebuild my naked R1 goodness. A guy at work has a ZX6R that I hope to test ride after work to see if it might work as well since finding another 04-06 R1 has been a bit of a chore.

If I don't get a bike in a month, I will put on some rearsets and install a power commander to get rid of the low RPM miss this damn bike has. But I've spent WAY too much on this bike as it is.

But I agree, it isn't safe in Airwalks. I have been looking at the Sidi boots and might pick up a pair of those for more aggressive riding.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This. And I won't lie, I will sometimes go without an armored jacket for quick errands within a mile or so.

Blind in one eye, can't see fer sh!t out of the other.
Hey, me too.