Quantcast

Has anyone had issues with the the D2?

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
I waited for this helmet for 7 weeks while it was on back order. Shop called said it was in, went to pick it up, etc. etc. put the visor on and the print did not match up at all on the left side(visor and helmet). It's a carbon history, my second TLD helmet in two years. The salesman from TLD said to me "they all can't line up perfect", well I say if you drop $400 on a helmet it better be mint. I told him i would email him the pics i have, and he told me to "get some red tape and put on the helmet":shocked: Are you serious?!?!? I just want a helmet that matches up somewhat, I know it can't be perfect but damn this is bad:

Am I wrong? All my gear is TLD, I really like their stuff but the quality control and now the customer service sucks balls. Waiting on a phone call or an email as I write this so I'll keep posting with the "answers" I get.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
return it and get it from a e-tailer.....for less money

that sucks their CS basically blew you off

Last edited:

liquidsystm

Chimp
May 25, 2005
mine matches up fine, but even if it didn't i wouldn't care. So really, who cares...you can't see it when you ride, and no one else would stare at your helmet to even care.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
yeah but for $400, youd kinda think the graphics will line up
You're paying for one of the lightest all CF helmets on the market. The dainese is lighter, and even more expensive. The graphics are an added bonus (or not).

If you want a rad looking helmet that is guaranteed to line up, get a paintjob. It just sort of seems silly to argue that part of the visor paint doesn't match up.

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
If I wanted a helmet "just to protect my head" I would have got a remedy. But since I didn't and I ponied up the cheddar for a TLD I want it right. That's not too much to ask.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You're paying for one of the lightest all CF helmets on the market. The dainese is lighter, and even more expensive. The graphics are an added bonus (or not).

If you want a rad looking helmet that is guaranteed to line up, get a paintjob. It just sort of seems silly to argue that part of the visor paint doesn't match up.
yeah you do have a point.

if it was me, id just raw carbon D2 helmet if i could. i prefer to look at their CF work instead

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Not it's not, he paid for a product, that im fairly certain he wasnt delivered. Safety issues aside, I bet if you bought a car and the hood and trunk didnt line up you'd complain.

Especially looking at TLD website and the visor lines up perfectly.

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
Just recived this email from Dave @ TLD

Yep, that's way off. Both visors were the same ?

If you can send it in we will pull a new one that has the best alignment we can find and UPS it back to you.

Thank you,
Dave

So they came through(so far). Thanks

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV

I completely disagree. You are paying 400 bucks for a light CF helmet that is advertised with a rad looking paint job. The paint job is messed up. I would be pissed as well. I agree its NOT a huge issue that the paint job isnt perfect, but it is advertised as perfect and SHOULD be perfect.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
I'm surprised you had an issue with the CS, they were super nice and accommodating when I dealt with them. But yeah it should definitely be lined up perfectly especially since they advertise it as so.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Last I checked, i got a helmet to protect my head,
Yeah, and the D2's suck at that, which is why I have issues with them.

As far as the paint goes, if you're paying a premium for the looks (which you obviously are, because it isn't for the protection), then it damn better look good and sharp.

zidoj

Chimp
Nov 2, 2008
Charlotte/ Myers Park
what sucks about the D2s? I hear that people crack there helmets so much that they need a bigger and heavier moto helmet to take all the shoots. sounds like they need to learn how to ride. Push the limit, yeah but if your crashin like that all the time it's you not the helmet. I do love the looks of all the moto helmets and tryed many on.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
what sucks about the D2s? I hear that people crack there helmets so much that they need a bigger and heavier moto helmet to take all the shoots. sounds like they need to learn how to ride. Push the limit, yeah but if your crashin like that all the time it's you not the helmet. I do love the looks of all the moto helmets and tryed many on.
:stosh:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
:disgust1::disgust1::disgust1:

Well, it is better the helmet than your head. If the helmet has to crack, and your head comes out of the crash fine, the helmet did it's job. TLD's D2 COMPOSITE ONLYS are superior to moto helmets for downhill because they are ASTM 1952 rated. If one falls in a DOT helmet, the helmet may not conform to their head and decelarte the brain, therefore resulting in a concusion or blowing bubbles.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Options:
Get out of biking, get into collecting classic sneakers.

#2:
Buy a $200 Giro remedy, spend $200 on a custom paintjob with skulls and ninjas

#3:
Seriously?

zidoj

Chimp
Nov 2, 2008
Charlotte/ Myers Park
Excuse me for wanting to learn more about the D2 helmets and positive feedback from more expeirenced riders.
I'm new to downhill as of last summer and I try to ride as fast as I can for the fun of it. I crash often enough but I have never seen and only heard of cracked helmets etc. I'm sure it happens. If I crash so hard that I destroy my helmet than I think I would do something different next time.

If I can't ask a question and state my opinion to learn what others think and get nonesence like " really" and "Get out of biking, get into collecting classic sneakers" then I just won't post and those two just suck. Thanks for the encouragement ridemonkey.:plthumbsdown:

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Excuse me for wanting to learn more about the D2 helmets and positive feedback from more expeirenced riders.
I'm new to downhill as of last summer and I try to ride as fast as I can for the fun of it. I crash often enough but I have never seen and only heard of cracked helmets etc. I'm sure it happens. If I crash so hard that I destroy my helmet than I think I would do something different next time.

If I can't ask a question and state my opinion to learn what others think and get nonesence like " really" and "Get out of biking, get into collecting classic sneakers" then I just won't post and those two just suck. Thanks for the encouragement ridemonkey.:plthumbsdown:

Uh... did you think that maybe these people were replying to the original poster?

And if stating your opinion means telling people that if they crack a helmet they should "learn how to ride" . Then thanks for the encouragement zidoj!! :plthumbsdown:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Uh... did you think that maybe these people were replying to the original poster?

And if stating your opinion means telling people that if they crack a helmet they should "learn how to ride" . Then thanks for the encouragement zidoj!! :plthumbsdown:
Lol dood, he's from OH, I speak from personal experience, there are no mountains in the midwest...He's probably never ridden real DH

dap

Chimp
Jul 25, 2006
Central, NY
Last I checked, i got a helmet to protect my head, not to make sure the visor paint matched up?
I have to highly disagree. I am surprised to see this comment from a photographer. There is nothing wrong with style and is apart of our everyday life.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
TLD's D2 COMPOSITE ONLYS are superior to moto helmets for downhill because they are ASTM 1952 rated. If one falls in a DOT helmet, the helmet may not conform to their head and decelarte the brain, therefore resulting in a concusion or blowing bubbles.
I will quote Toshi:

"i've heard this theory many times on this board but have not seen anything to back it up..."

From this classic Ridemonkey thread

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114078&highlight=pussy

zidoj

Chimp
Nov 2, 2008
Charlotte/ Myers Park

These people did quote my post in there reply, well, sorry Doug did and I thought he would say a little more.

Sorry that I said if you crack a helmet you should learn how to ride. But again it blows my mind that you can crack a helmet so often. I have a blast riding but I can't imagine cracking my helmet over and over.

I can't help that I live in OH. Like I said I just got into dh last yr. I only ride at snowshoe and windrock,so far.

I don't mean to upset anyone. I still don't know what sucks about the D2 and some feedback on cracked helmets, why moto over D2 etc.

Lets add some useable input with the disagreeance guys.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Helmets are DESIGNED to crack and crush. It's how they bleed off energy that would otherwise be used to slam your brain into the inside of your skull.

if you ride hard, and lots, and crash on your head once and awhile, you will crack helmets.

That said, you should replace a DH helmet every 2 years at most anyways if you ride frequently.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/helmet_CSI.pdf

From the motorcycle safety foundation:

Replace your helmet if it was involved in a crash; it probably absorbed
some impact shock. Some helmet manufacturers will inspect and,
when possible, repair a damaged helmet. If you drop your helmet and
think it might be damaged, take advantage of this service.

Most helmet manufacturers recommend replacing your helmet every
two to four years. If you notice any signs of damage before then,
replace it sooner.

Why replace your helmet every few years if it doesn't appear
damaged? Its protective qualities may deteriorate with time and
wear. The chin strap may fray or loosen at its attaching points; the
shell could be chipped or damaged. The best reason is that helmets
keep improving. Chances are that the helmet you buy in a couple of
years will be better – stronger, lighter, and more comfortable – than
the one you own now. It might even cost less!