Quantcast

Heavy bikes! Lets see your 42lbs+ race/free ride bikes

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Having a light bike really just doesn't matter to me. I have a bike that could be light (I have seen the same bike built to 38lbs), but I would rather have it be strong and be able to take whatever I can toss at it. Mine is around 44lbs.

-SWD Racing Crazy 8 frame
-Fox DHX 5 Coil
-Fox 40-RC2
-MRP chain guide/bash
-Sun 8 track rims with Rigle hubs and Maxxis tubeless Highrollers
-SDG seatpost and SDG FR seat

(SDG Seat/Seat post not pictured)

Bike in action:

Lets see all of yours!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle

I think in this photo it weighs in at around 45 lbs. I can get it down to around 42-43 for race runs.

My whistler build though tips the scales at right around 50. Most of the difference is in the wheelset... Arrow DHX rims with the 1600 gram 2.5 Arrow Ramped Bite stickies...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
My buddy has one of those bikes. They are super nice, but they are heavy.
Yeah...I'm 6'7" and around 265-270ish so I built mine with stouter parts to survive seasons at Whistler. If I was svelter and a smoother rider (and a weight weenie) I could prolly get it rollin' at Whistler at around 43 lbs (even lighter for a race build...). But I'm a bull in a china shop when it comes to those trails so light parts and me don't mix.

Npdh

Monkey
Apr 29, 2007
Here is mine too...

It is around 20 -21 kg...

Riding :

Fox dhx 5.0
Dhcomp 05 frame
888rc 05
Mavic + mtx

But a few week ago I started to look how can i get it less heavy.-

We will see.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I'll have to find a picture of my old Nucleon ST. That thing weighed 47 with all kinds of carbon and every other light part I could find.

A couple years ago, 42 was considered pretty light. I imagine after this season we'll see weights go up a little again after people start breaking waif parts and get sick of replacing them.

Dave

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
I'll have to find a picture of my old Nucleon ST. That thing weighed 47 with all kinds of carbon and every other light part I could find.

A couple years ago, 42 was considered pretty light. I imagine after this season we'll see weights go up a little again after people start breaking waif parts and get sick of replacing them.

Dave
What was the frame and shock weight of that ST...I remember taking a look at the info about 3 years ago and it was some crazy ridiculous number...

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I love this thread! I wish those weight weenies would shut up sometimes! :) Lighter bikes have their place, but there's nothing wrong with a cadillac! Here's mine--currently 43# with 2.7's on.

Before

After my graphic designer friend got ahold of it!

sixsixtysix

Monkey
Mar 6, 2005
Hell
What did you do? Is the weight in the wheels? Looks like a solid build otherwise
I'm running 2.3mm thick Giant DH tubes inside 2.7 dual ply tires since out here in the desert you have to contend with goat head thorns and I was getting sick of getting flats. I literally had 10 flats in a week at one point.

I am thinking of going tubeless, but havn't been able to bite the bullet and drop $80 on a pair of rim strips for my wide rims which sucks because I have a box of Maxxis rim strips, they just won't fit the Halo rims.:nopity:

Other than that, the cranks are pretty burly, I had Diabolus on when I first built the bike, but I broke them so I went to the Cro-Mo DMR Extypes. The Shinburger pedals are like 1.1lbs each, those are getting replaced with some Straightline pedals in the near future. If I can get it back to where my 2005 Dirtbag was around 44lbs I'll be happy.

Sep 17, 2006
Man that is one sweet lookin rotec. Just curious, how much did you get yours for? And how do you like that steering stabilizer?

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Man that is one sweet lookin rotec. Just curious, how much did you get yours for? And how do you like that steering stabilizer?
Same as Secret Squirrel. $2399 or something like that. I specked everything else out using e-bay mostly. Not cheap, I figured if I was going to do it, I'd do it good, but still paying for it!

The steering damper is really great for high speed chattery sections. I got mine the end of the season last year, so haven't truly put it to the test yet.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Same as Secret Squirrel. $2399 or something like that. I specked everything else out using e-bay mostly. Not cheap, I figured if I was going to do it, I'd do it good, but still paying for it!

The steering damper is really great for high speed chattery sections. I got mine the end of the season last year, so haven't truly put it to the test yet.
The clock continues to tick towards that fateful weekend...

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
if you could find the mounts or a conversion kit, think you could throw on dirtbike calipers??? (I know it sounds heavy)...