Quantcast

Heavy bikes! Lets see your 42lbs+ race/free ride bikes

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut

shes around 45lbs, i swapped the azonic seat and telescoping post out for a thomson and a nice ti road seat. i gotta weigh it again at some point. i was wondering when there was gonna be a thread when i could post my heavy bike haha

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Bad Hood Mussel... ~65 lbs
This bike raises for me an interesting idea... what's the heaviest bike you could build, using readily-available off-the-shelf components? :) What's the heaviest half-decent DH frame?

Actually looking at that pic I reckon you're pretty much there :D

you want to talk about heavy do you now?...

53 pounds
the frame itself is only like 10-11 pounds, its just the forks weigh a ton, the rear wheel weighs around 12, and i have some other heavy azz stuff on there or some eason... 9.5in of travel and no rear pedal-bob, so it all works out.

:spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam:
i'm looking to sell/ trade the frame probably without the shock... as you can see, i need something just a little newer...
:spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam:

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
For the heaviest a Brooklyn BigLink with full Avalanche MTN gear would take the cake...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My SS hardtail equivalent of the bikes in this thread.

About 37 lbs when this pic was taken.

R

RiDurbin

Comes in at 46.5lb on my postal scale. No Ti parts, not even the spring. But she's still getting a bigger front rotor and Gustav Caliper as soon as UPS gets here with the adapter. So she'll be + 47 when complete. Got plans for some parts that will drop below 45, but I'd rather it be strong then light.

Rock drop pic, was when she was sporting an 888 with BOS cartridges.
Had to throw in a ride pic, to many naked bikes here. 46 year old geezer on board.

Attachments

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I'll have to find a picture of my old Nucleon ST. That thing weighed 47 with all kinds of carbon and every other light part I could find.
Dave
i almost bought that frame a while back (third hand; the guy said it was originally yours). pretty cool bikes in an borg-ian / industrial art kind of way. i had dreams of replacing the 537 bolts with ti.

speaking of which, i weenied out my brooklyn tmx (something like 40 ti bolts in there), and it hit the scales at a svelte 47lbs as well. i guess i like a challenge...

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
I don't know what it is about that White Bros that looks so spindly, but those uppers look like they're about 20 mm.

I'm jealous of all you Brooklyn riders. I've wanted one ever since I used to look at pictures of the Rubber Ducky on their old site. Now that was a heavy bike. I think it came in at around 70ish lbs.

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
This small assrocket came in at 46.5lbs today after I weighed her. Since this picture swapped the dhx to canecreek Double barrel. I'm using the ridiculous 2.25mm Giant DH tubes in the wheels now and swapped over to 2 ply all around. I went through 7 tubes and 3 tires in a span of 2 months and decided enough was enough.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
And the question could also be...would you actually be able to feel that you changed from a steel spring to a Ti ? When I did that on my previous frame I couldnt feel anything...at all !.....but it looked nice.

Sep 17, 2006
where are your moto bars????

They're still on there, I just posted a slightly older pic. Currently the azonic oneal's I had on in the picture are on my hardtail. The 24" bars that came stock on it felt wayyy too small after coming off the 32's on the big hit

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
schwaaa31
That is sweet. Take the Azonic Outlaw stickers off and it will even look even better. :)

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
I'd like to drop a few pounds on this bike but if it stayed where it was it'd be fine. As shown it's 43lbs. I've stripped it down to the bare frame and I am going to have it repainted. I've also got a Marz 888 and a set of Bonty Big Earl wheels for it.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
well its not over 40 lbs but its a hardtail

its changed a little from this point:
formula k18 203mm f&r
blackspire chain guide and 40t ring
and a different seat because that one exploded on the first real ride
other than that its pretty much the same

IMG_1146.jpg