Quantcast

Hefeweizens???

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Who's got some good hefeweizen recommendations? Or other refreshing summer time beers? I'm enjoying Harpoon's Hefeweizen and Magic Hat's Circus Boy. And Blue Moon's Belgian White when I get a chance to smuggle it into VT (I can't get it up here). What else?

toby

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
The only hefeweizen you can find around here is Widmere and it is quite good. Bridgeport IPA is good year around too, but you may have problems finding it on that side of the country.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
My favorite is Sam Adams Hefe...real smooth and tasty. I also like:
Circus Boy
Swetty Betty (Boulder Beer)

Not a fan of Pyramid or Widmer, they just got a funny flavor to them. I've also had Rogue but wasn't overly impressed either. Just not a lot to it.

You can always checkout beeradvocate.com and see what they say.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
hmmmm..........maybe I'll bring some of that tomorrow then!

Good stuff IMO!

Mmmmmmm.....

Oh, a couple of our fellow greyhound owner friends are coming over tomorrow too, and they apprecaite good beer. :D (fellow beer snobs!)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
DRB said:
Hoegaarden
:stupid::stupid::stupid::stupid:

i ordered a magic hat circus boy and it was like cat piss compared to a direct taste test of the wife's hoegaarden.

i was curious, but hoegaarden is still the best. the harpoon one's not bad. not a huge fan of the blue moon either.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
C.H. Evans Brewing Co. @ the Albany Pump Station makes one of the best Hefe's I've ever had. :drool: My brother in law gets it in kegs for all our family functions. :thumb:

As far as widely available versions, it's hard to beat Hoegaarden.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Ummm, not to be picky, but Blue Moon, White Rascal, and Hoegaarden aren't hefeweizens, they're white ales (aka wit or witbier). Damn good, but not hefeweizens. The main difference? A German brewer would rather die than use unmalted wheat (or any other unmalted grain) in a beer. The noticible difference? White ales are typically spiced with orange peel, corriander, and other spices. Hefewiezens rely on specific strains of yeast and fermentation temperatures to give the beer a noticible clove or banana taste. I could elaborate on other differences if anyone cares to hear me ramble some more.[/beer geek]

My favorite hefe: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissebier

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
BikeGeek said:
My favorite hefe: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissebier
Hey, that's my favorite one too.

Unless you're counting Aventinus (which is a wheat beer, but not a Hefe, as you so ably pointed out) which is my favorite wheat based beer of all time. Not really a summer thirst quencher though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i picked up one of those weinerheferbeers tonight, and am about to open it. also found the brooklyn weisse and it's nice! got a 6 of hoegaarden too, just because.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I had a Weltenburg the other day that felt like an angel had just pissed on my tonsils. Definitely gets VB seal of approval. I quite liked the Kristalweissen (sp?) I had in Germany.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
narlus said:
:stupid::stupid::stupid::stupid:

i ordered a magic hat circus boy and it was like cat piss compared to a direct taste test of the wife's hoegaarden.

i was curious, but hoegaarden is still the best. the harpoon one's not bad. not a huge fan of the blue moon either.
You didn't like Circus Boy? You are the first person that I have heard say that. I think it is a damn fine Hefe...

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
narlus said:

American takes on wit tend to be overspiced. Hoegaarden is definitely the benchmark for the style. Belgian brewers seem to follow the rule "if you can tell what the spice is, there's too much of it."

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I drank some Circus Boy this weekend and I can confirm that it does not taste like feline urine. :D

I poured a bottle into a glass and it had what I call "little floaties" in it. Should hefeweizen have anything floating in the beer? Perhaps yeast? Maybe lemon peels/pulp? Meh, I drank it anyway.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I Are Baboon said:
I poured a bottle into a glass and it had what I call "little floaties" in it. Should hefeweizen have anything floating in the beer? Perhaps yeast? Maybe lemon peels/pulp? Meh, I drank it anyway.
Yeah, it's yeast. It's good for you. Brewers yeast is actually one of the richest and most complete sources of the vitamin B complex, something that alcohol consumption depletes from your body.