Quantcast

Hefeweizens???

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
do a direct taste test between Circus Boy and Hoegaarden (or the brooklyn weisse) and see what you think.
I've tried Hoegaarden and I liked it very much. Why do I have to choose between the two, man!? :D I'll take either.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
narlus said:
would the UFO be a better comparison?
In my opinion, comparing Hoegaarden (witbier) to any hefeweizen sets the hefes up for failure. :) A better comparison would be Circus Boy, UFO, Brooklyner Weisse. Or Hoegaarden, Ommegang Witte, Blanche de Brooklyn, Allagash White.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
narlus said:
do a direct taste test between Circus Boy and Hoegaarden (or the brooklyn weisse) and see what you think.
Narlus, the Brooklyn is the wrong beer to comapre to the Hoegaarden. For that, you want this:
Tap only, as the picture implies.

Also in the white family, and a real contender with Hoegaarden is the Ommegang Witte, happily now available in single-serving sized bottles, as well as the 750ml corked bottles.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
BikeGeek said:
I thought the 750mL was a single serving. :D
Funny - I took a couple of bottles of it camping last year, along with a mess of other normally bottled beers. We got there & realized that we had forgotten a corkscrew!

They need to start putting corkscrews in mulit-tools, along with the bottle openers.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Mackie said:
Funny - I took a couple of bottles of it camping last year, along with a mess of other normally bottled beers. We got there & realized that we had forgotten a corkscrew!

They need to start putting corkscrews in mulit-tools, along with the bottle openers.
Doesn't the witte have champagne corks like the other Ommegang brews?

edit: or do you mean the small bottles?

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
BikeGeek said:
In my opinion, comparing Hoegaarden (witbier) to any hefeweizen sets the hefes up for failure. :) A better comparison would be Circus Boy, UFO, Brooklyner Weisse. Or Hoegaarden, Ommegang Witte, Blanche de Brooklyn, Allagash White.
mmmmm....Allagash....Making some incredible beer. I got a bottle of the Four in my cellar...just waiting for the right occassion. Like when I'm thirsty.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BikeGeek said:
Ummm, not to be picky, but Blue Moon, White Rascal, and Hoegaarden aren't hefeweizens, they're white ales (aka wit or witbier). Damn good, but not hefeweizens. The main difference? A German brewer would rather die than use unmalted wheat (or any other unmalted grain) in a beer. The noticible difference? White ales are typically spiced with orange peel, corriander, and other spices. Hefewiezens rely on specific strains of yeast and fermentation temperatures to give the beer a noticible clove or banana taste. I could elaborate on other differences if anyone cares to hear me ramble some more.[/beer geek]

My favorite hefe: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissebier

i had this on draft last night @ redbones. great!!

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
valve bouncer said:
I had a Weltenburg the other day that felt like an angel had just pissed on my tonsils. Definitely gets VB seal of approval. I quite liked the Kristalweissen (sp?) I had in Germany.
kristalweisen is basically a filtered (charcoal i believe) hefe... happen to have a case of it at home :)

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I tried both the Long Trail "Hefeweizen" and the Smuttynose "Summer Weizen Ale" last night. Both tasted very good - fruity, but I'm not sure which one I liked better. I'll have to do some more testing tonight.:)

toby

MrDirt

Chimp
Oct 21, 2004
Eden, UT
Most of the Hefes I've tried like the one above have been fairly bland compared to spicier beers like hoegaarden. I just recently bought a variety case of Flying Dog, and the In-Heat Hefe is certainly one of the stronger, tastier ones I've tried. Very similar to hoegaarden. When comparing various American Hefes, Belgian-styles, and Witbiers, I seem to find one commonality being a noticeable banana character. Anyone else catch this? The saranac hefe, and most notably Weyerbacher Merry Monks come to mind.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Harpoon UFO raspberry hefferburger is pretty good. I'm drinking one now. It's especially good since it's the only thing I've consumed since my 40 mile road ride. :clue: