Quantcast

Help me spec my bike

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well my new sponser told me to start thinking about what i want put on my bike he's going to give me everything at cost plus a little for his time building my frame. I think I'm going witha steel frame but not sure yet anyways. Cane Creek is one of the sponsers and White Brother shocks are almost for sure. I want XTR shifting don't really want XTR cassets and crankset. Well i do but it depends on pricing. Should I go with V's or disk brakes? I can't decide the added benifit of braking in wet weather is good but you still see alot of pros using V's what would the weight differnce be? Whats your opinion?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
Well my new sponser told me to start thinking about what i want put on my bike he's going to give me everything at cost plus a little for his time building my frame. I think I'm going witha steel frame but not sure yet anyways. Cane Creek is one of the sponsers and White Brother shocks are almost for sure. I want XTR shifting don't really want XTR cassets and crankset. Well i do but it depends on pricing. Should I go with V's or disk brakes? I can't decide the added benifit of braking in wet weather is good but you still see alot of pros using V's what would the weight differnce be? Whats your opinion?
opinions vary on the disc, i'm still using V's b/c i don't see anything wrong w/ them. what i would do is have the V mounts put on the bike and have him weld/braze the disc mounts on as well. might as well go w/ whatever your sponsors stuff might be. Cane Creek wheels are nice, espically the Ti spoked ones. the xtr stuff is nice, espically the cranks, if anything get xtr cranks no matter if you decide to run sram or whatever. white bro's make some nice shocks, will feel a lot different then the left does though, i'll tell ya that now......

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv and sram :)

Brakes-

Avid single digit ti - 322g for pair

Formula B4 SL - 631g front+rear: incl. IS calipers, 160/140 mm rotors, all mounting bolts, averaged (630/632) and 784g front+rear: incl. IS calipers, 185/160 mm rotors, all bolts

Levers-

Avid sped dial ultimate - 155g pair
Sram 9.0 - 156g pair
Steinbach micro v- 66g pair (average)

Formula B4 SL lever - weight im not sure... weighs alot more than v-brake lever for sure.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
i would recommend the new XTR crankset if you've got the juice, if not, XT or Raceface would be plenty nice. As for disc brakes, look at the New XTR discs, they're pretty hot. you can either get the XTR wheels that are UST, lighter than Crossmax SL's, and just as stiff, or use the hubs to build any wheel you want, or just buy them in the 6-bolt pattern. They're lighter than any other disc system and even though they have half as many pistons, the one-piece forged body makes them have only 6% less power than the much heavier XT brakes.

I would feel a Marzocchi Marathon SL fork before you go with White Brothers. I think that the Marz is even a bit cheaper than the top of the line White Bros shocks, and much better feeling in my opinion.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by scofflaw23
i would recommend the new XTR crankset if you've got the juice, if not, XT or Raceface would be plenty nice. As for disc brakes, look at the New XTR discs, they're pretty hot. you can either get the XTR wheels that are UST, lighter than Crossmax SL's, and just as stiff, or use the hubs to build any wheel you want, or just buy them in the 6-bolt pattern. They're lighter than any other disc system and even though they have half as many pistons, the one-piece forged body makes them have only 6% less power than the much heavier XT brakes.

I would feel a Marzocchi Marathon SL fork before you go with White Brothers. I think that the Marz is even a bit cheaper than the top of the line White Bros shocks, and much better feeling in my opinion.
you must not have read the part about his sponsors for the team being cane creek and white bros did you......*shakes head* :D :D
all that cold weather must be ****ing w/ your brain bro.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
XTR cranks are really nice,

Make sure you like the new XTR shifting before getting it.

and don't get a XTR cassette, they are too fragile IMHO

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Deyv

and don't get a XTR cassette, they are too fragile IMHO
I don't know.......I've had an XTR ti cassette for over two years and it's still in great shape. It's an older 8 spd though, so that might make a difference.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
All I'll say about brakes is this, if its dry, both rim and disc brakes work well. The disc brakes have no disadvantage if its dry out. If its wet, rim brakes work ****ty. Simple as that. Plus rim brakes are mechnical and will require way more maintenance than hydraulic discs. I think its a no brainer. I predict that rim brakes will disappear from off road bikes in the next few years.

After a season on the new XTR stuff I can say no problems whith the shifting at all. In fact, it works better than any other system I've used and I've used pretty much all of them since 1983. I did go through one bb bearing in 4 months and it was warranteed.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by oldfart
The disc brakes have no disadvantage if its dry out.
How about longer wearing pads, and almost no required maintenance? I'll never go back to V's, and I'm in a dry climate.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
How about longer wearing pads, and almost no required maintenance? I'll never go back to V's, and I'm in a dry climate.
:stupid:

I will never have a mountain bike with v-brakes again. Last ride I did with v's......well......Westy could tell you some of the words I used on that ride.

Now if I could figure out a way to get discs on my 24" BMX......::think:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I'm kinda surprised so many people say to go with the XTR cranks whats so great about them i was think just save the money and get and FSA or XT crabkset.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I agree. On really long descents my hands thank me too.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'm kinda surprised so many people say to go with the XTR cranks whats so great about them i was think just save the money and get and FSA or XT crabkset.
Actually, it turns out the XTR cranks may not be up to all the hype. Heidi's mans XTRs wore out a middle ring real fast, and my friend just got some and he says the chainline sucks and he's putting them on Ebay.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Actually, it turns out the XTR cranks may not be up to all the hype. Heidi's mans XTRs wore out a middle ring real fast, and my friend just got some and he says the chainline sucks and he's putting them on Ebay.
Shimano said that there may have been a bad batch. They happily sent Derek a new set. No problems so far.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by spincrazy
I don't know.......I've had an XTR ti cassette for over two years and it's still in great shape. It's an older 8 spd though, so that might make a difference.
Dude, honest to Pete you are the only person I have ever heard of that didn't ruin the XTR Ti cassette in a few rides. Must be they mis-labeled an XT :D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
the chain line sucks b/c he might not have used the right spacers.......

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Echo
Dude, honest to Pete you are the only person I have ever heard of that didn't ruin the XTR Ti cassette in a few rides. Must be they mis-labeled an XT :D
everyone that i know that races on those things never have any problems w/ em and put a shiet load of mileage on em :rolleyes:

just for safe measures ~~~:D

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
XT cassette.......gots to be one of the most durable pieces of equipment known to man.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by indieboy
everyone that i know that races on those things never have any problems w/ em and put a shiet load of mileage on em :rolleyes:

just for safe measures ~~~:D
You and your little 43 lb. racer friends can run all the lightweight crap y'all want to.

:D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
You and your little 43 lb. racer friends can run all the lightweight crap y'all want to.

:D
43 lbs is just about waht my head weighs from time to time :devil: :devil: nope most of these guys are about my height n size. round 6ft 145-170lbs n massive amounts of torque :p, them not me lol

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
You met me briefly up @ Platt once and know I'm not a big guy (160#)so there's that, but I also know how to shift, have a pretty decent chainline and am normally only mashing with a light bike. So, I dunno, works for me.

BTW, the cassette is currently on my burly hardtail and doing fine so far. We'll see how it goes with real testing once I'm recovered from this knee thang.

V brakes, I don't think so.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Actually I haven't tried an XTR in about 6 years... and back when I did use one, I was much less smooth of a rider. So that could definitely have something to do with it. Anyway, I toasted the thing, and Performance gave me a $118 store credit because they didn't have any in stock. So I got 2 XT's and never looked back :)

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Actually I haven't tried an XTR in about 6 years... and back when I did use one, I was much less smooth of a rider. So that could definitely have something to do with it. Anyway, I toasted the thing, and Performance gave me a $118 store credit because they didn't have any in stock. So I got 2 XT's and never looked back :)
Nice. I've an XT on one of my bikes. They do last. I'm a rampant chain replacer too, so my drivetrain stays around awhile. Funny thing is when I got mine, I bought it slightly used. Couple of smaller rings were bent, but replaced those (steel). It's the larger cogs that are ti.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
FRM is coming out with new BB that fits 2003 XTR cranks !
Lightest and better chainline, plus you can get new bearing service done by phil wood.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by Heytouekutbenca
If you have cane creek and white brothers as sponsors, sport their equipment.

wheelset : cane creek team ti (718g fr, 948g rr)
Fork : White brothers xc.8 (2.9 lb I think)
Ya I think I'm going more in the direction of XTR disks now but I really like Cane Creek wheelsets:) I don't know much about White brothers they are supposed to be good. If White Bros ends up being a sponser he says that he will insist that I use their fork or else:D If they don't end up being a sponser they are way to expensive and I'll either go with Rockshox or Manitou.
Right now it's dry so disks seem pointless but as soon as it rains i'll be wanting disks so i think i'll go with disks and it would weigh less than pound extra and not much more money.

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I have been racing on my XTR Ti cassette all year and it is still going strong. I am not a gentle racer either, I do a lot of standing climbing. Most of the people I know who have bent their cassettes are people who lack finesse when shifting. If you try shifting under load, then that is how your gears will get bent. If you ease up on the power while the chain is shifting then your cassette will last longer.

Also, XTR cranksets rule. I will never use anything else.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by Captain Cogset
I have been racing on my XTR Ti cassette all year and it is still going strong. I am not a gentle racer either, I do a lot of standing climbing. Most of the people I know who have bent their cassettes are people who lack finesse when shifting. If you try shifting under load, then that is how your gears will get bent. If you ease up on the power while the chain is shifting then your cassette will last longer.

Also, XTR cranksets rule. I will never use anything else.
Ok wow most of these post are about XTR TI cassettes enough already I'm going to get XT cassettes:D I just don't think the huge price differnce is worth it.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Ok wow most of these post are about XTR TI cassettes enough already I'm going to get XT cassettes:D I just don't think the huge price differnce is worth it.
Pick up an XT in your hand, and then pick up an XTR. It's worth it if you're a racer. Rotational mass yo. Skimp somewhere else. If you happen to be running 8 speed it'll be cheaper.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by spincrazy
Pick up an XT in your hand, and then pick up an XTR. It's worth it if you're a racer. Rotational mass yo. Skimp somewhere else. If you happen to be running 8 speed it'll be cheaper.
It makes most of the diffrence when it's on the outer edge of the wheel than near the center. The extra weight would most likely make no difference.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Wow I just finished all my specs which include XTR disks and the weight comes out to 21 pound. 4 pound less than my current bike.:eek:

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
Wow I just finished all my specs which include XTR disks and the weight comes out to 21 pound. 4 pound less than my current bike.:eek:
Claimed or Real ? ya counting the weight of the grease, bolts etc... ?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by Babar
Claimed or Real ? ya counting the weight of the grease, bolts etc... ?
I used weight from weight weenies which i rounded up and added an extra 100 grams just to be save. It was still 21 pounds which is awsome. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if i can afford it all.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
I used weight from weight weenies which i rounded up and added an extra 100 grams just to be save. It was still 21 pounds which is awsome. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if i can afford it all.
Awesome, i got mine spec at 17.5 lb, 18.7lb (rigid and with suspension, im deciding) just matter of having money to order the parts.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Originally posted by indieboy
you must not have read the part about his sponsors for the team being cane creek and white bros did you......*shakes head* :D :D
all that cold weather must be ****ing w/ your brain bro.
hey, my school's team was sponsored by White Bros. and unless you have some serious deal, there's no real hookup involved. Somthing like 10% off MSRP ain't no team deal. you could probably find most of the stuff online for cheaper than they hook you up.

As for the wheels, I was just making suggestions, does cane creek make rims or just wheelsets? their hubs are pretty crappy, imho.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by scofflaw23
hey, my school's team was sponsored by White Bros. and unless you have some serious deal, there's no real hookup involved. Somthing like 10% off MSRP ain't no team deal. you could probably find most of the stuff online for cheaper than they hook you up.

As for the wheels, I was just making suggestions, does cane creek make rims or just wheelsets? their hubs are pretty crappy, imho.
you can't get just their hubs and they don't make their own rims. they actually outsource that. those hubs have been redesigned and rock now.