Quantcast

Help needed to figure out what this bike is.

Drake Hoover

Chimp
Oct 7, 2018
So I recently bought a bike at a garage sale for cheap and I’ve never seen this company before so I did a little research and realized it could be a pretty legit bike. It’s a Brooklyn machine works bike with some pretty good parts to it so it doesn’t seem like it’s too bad of a bike. If anyone knows anything about it from looking at the pictures please help me.

Here are the pictures
https://ibb.co/kjjFB9
https://ibb.co/fZVYyp
https://ibb.co/bsBj4U

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Just an old BMW. Sturdy frames, I don't think they had perfect dirt geo but unless you want to ride super tech trails I doubt it will hurt you. Just maybe get a shorter stem. The fork looks like an old pike but I may be wrong. Must've been work a pretty penny back in the day.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just an old BMW. Sturdy frames, I don't think they had perfect dirt geo but unless you want to ride super tech trails I doubt it will hurt you. Just maybe get a shorter stem. The fork looks like an old pike but I may be wrong. Must've been work a pretty penny back in the day.
A mate had one of those (or similar BMW DJ) frames way back around 2002ish. He snapped the rear triangle after only weeks hanging up a landing. not even that hard and he was light and (usually) smooth. Dunno if it was a one off as he moved onto a completely different frame due to shipping from the states taking so long.
Those forks are def not PIKEs. look like they mght be X-fusions of some sort.
Bike looks pristine

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Fork is a Society, Dirt Mag gave them a pretty good review maybe 10yrs ago, supposedly the best value DJ fork on the market at the time.

I thought it was a RST Storm initially.

EDIT- Didn't see a previous post about the fork.

Drake Hoover

Chimp
Oct 7, 2018
I ended up only paying 100$ for it, thinking it was some random Walmart bike since I had no idea of bmw. The lady at the garage sale had no idea their so she agreed

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
A mate had one of those (or similar BMW DJ) frames way back around 2002ish. He snapped the rear triangle after only weeks hanging up a landing. not even that hard and he was light and (usually) smooth. Dunno if it was a one off as he moved onto a completely different frame due to shipping from the states taking so long.
Those forks are def not PIKEs. look like they mght be X-fusions of some sort.
Bike looks pristine
Yeah I just looked at the top caps and they looked kinda strange but I assumed it was one of a zillion pike models they offered back in the day.

As for BMW bikes. I have no experience with their dj bikes but their dh bikes were burly. Good welding and attention to detail even if I doubt they did FEA, just winged it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nice buy Drake. and bargain of the century. You sure lucked out there.

Round here this is what a garage sale early admission ticket looks like...

Yeah I just looked at the top caps and they looked kinda strange but I assumed it was one of a zillion pike models they offered back in the day.

As for BMW bikes. I have no experience with their dj bikes but their dh bikes were burly. Good welding and attention to detail even if I doubt they did FEA, just winged it.
There were only actually 3 different OG Pikes, Steel Steerer coil, Alu Steerer Coil and Alu Steerer Air... I know this from owning and bending each version multiple times. still have a few of them (2 in use, 1 with a bent CSU and a spare brand new CSU I never ever got round to fitting)

The breakage was an odd one, the rider worked in a bike shop and just went with another frame they sold rather than wait weeks for a replacement. DJ hardtails were huge (the market, not frame sizes) over here back then.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
easily worth $100...but didn't BMW start farming out production of their park bikes late into their existence? Like post-racelink, all of their frames were welded externally?

doesn't take away from a great bike for $100 but I would argue that it's probably not a super-collectible, so just enjoy the ride.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Nice buy Drake. and bargain of the century. You sure lucked out there.

Round here this is what a garage sale early admission ticket looks like...

There were only actually 3 different OG Pikes, Steel Steerer coil, Alu Steerer Coil and Alu Steerer Air... I know this from owning and bending each version multiple times. still have a few of them (2 in use, 1 with a bent CSU and a spare brand new CSU I never ever got round to fitting)

The breakage was an odd one, the rider worked in a bike shop and just went with another frame they sold rather than wait weeks for a replacement. DJ hardtails were huge (the market, not frame sizes) over here back then.
Yeah but didn't they have a ton of different insides with uturn, dual air, solo air, different dampers etc? 419,429,318 and other confusing RS model names?

I'm a bit sad DJ hardtails are not huge anymore. I'm trying to find a cheap driver hub with mtb spacing to replace my dead one and all I can get is new and remotely expensive for an old dj bike worth maybe 300euro. So gettiing an 80-120Euro hub is a bit stupid.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah but didn't they have a ton of different insides with uturn, dual air, solo air, different dampers etc? 419,429,318 and other confusing RS model names?
they were all U-turn
Dampers were all the same.
Dual air/solo air were different years
318 was OEM and didn't have a compression damper at all

RS are basically still churning them out with the Sectors you find on cheaper full builds

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
they were all U-turn

RS are basically still churning them out with the Sectors you find on cheaper full builds
I beg to differ. There were u-turn and fixed travel options, the air versions were Dual Air, the 409 and 418 versions had adjustable Gate (blow-off) and the 318 was fixed-blowoff version (same MoCo damper found in the Argyle). The difference between the 409 and 418 versions was the alloy steerer. But then again there were 409 coil versions with alloy steerers and other batshit concoctions.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Actually you're right.
Over here you only really ever saw 3 versions for sale. the 2005s were called SL/race/team... then they changed them to 409/426/424.
I'd forgotten about all the external adjusty bits I just threw away

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
easily worth $100...but didn't BMW start farming out production of their park bikes late into their existence? Like post-racelink, all of their frames were welded externally?

doesn't take away from a great bike for $100 but I would argue that it's probably not a super-collectible, so just enjoy the ride.
their website is still active

Drake Hoover

Chimp
Oct 7, 2018
yeah. my guess is that bike is hot as hell. 'some kid' not wanting more than a bill for it, get the fuck outta here...
It was the kids mother and she didn’t know any better just like me, I would have sold it for the same amount before I found out what this really is

Drake Hoover

Chimp
Oct 7, 2018
are you telling us that you honestly know zero about bicycles or bicycle parts? even if there was no frame, all those parts would easily sell for over $100.
either way, i'm not saying you stole it, just that i believe it's a stolen bike..
Tbh I don’t really know much about bikes but I doubt it’s stolen cause she’s a really sweet old lady but never know maybe.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
they were all U-turn

Yeah by OG I just meant mission control, not first year. And yeah there were OEM versions and different years. It was still fairly confusing vs the reasonable naming options of boxxers back then. I liked them. Pike + Spec Pitch was a really great combo back in the day.