Quantcast

Hey Carolina & Virginia Monkeys!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Is that coal ash or hog shit flavored?
since i’m in charlotte, not in the eastern half of the state, it’s flavored with the tears of investment bankers whose aston martins and land rovers are flooded and who have to stay home with their kids tomorrow because the private schools are closed and their nannies can’t make it in.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
since i’m in charlotte, not in the eastern half of the state, it’s flavored with the tears of investment bankers whose aston martins and land rovers are flooded and who have to stay home with their kids tomorrow because the private schools are closed and their nannies can’t make it in.
Harsh.

I love it. :D

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Bout 5" at my place, and still raining. After much trail assessment, beer science and 4 wheelin yesterday, took the day off and hung close to the casa today. Went puddle stomping with the kiddo, officially closed down my garden, made pumpkin pie and chili, drank a few German sodas and watched concussion sport much of the afternoon with these lazy assholes -

May not ride mountain bikes again locally until Thanksgiving...thanks Al Gore :disgust:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Hard out here for a Debutante, Mane !

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Shit got real out my way (Durham, NC). We had "only" 4 inches of rain and a few trees down until the morning when all hell broke loose. The last trailing band really gave us what for. Took me an hour to get my wife to work (I had to bail to watch the kids cause no school).

This genius sat for a few minutes considering whether his RAV4 had what it took to get across.
IMG_6566.jpg

So we turned around and went a different way. Fail.
IMG_6569.jpg

Ultimately, we got across another street that was almost but not quite overtopped.
IMG_4680.jpg

My back yard creek was a good 100 feet across--we can usually hop it across on a little bridge of large rocks. You can see where it had been a smidge higher earlier--it started to pour again so I got outa there quick. This is the same creek that overtopped the road in the first pic.
IMG_6579.jpg

I wasn't that excited to go to work anyway--moar beers at home I guess...not like I'll be riding again anytime soon. Sigh.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
@SuboptimusPrime i sure hope your wife does something super important she had to get to work in these conditions.
She's a physician so, yeah the lights are always on at her shop. It was kind of a clusterfuck because everything was fine at 5am and all this happened between 5-8 so nothing was cancelled, school was on, busses had kids in them. It's a huge mess...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
good news is the forecast is mid-80s and sunny for the next week, so trails, etc., will have time to dry out prettt quick. gonna take the boys out to assess damage at my local trail after we’re done tidying up our yard.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
So the 2 school systems that are around Subopt didn't cancel today, and there's video of a school bus plowing thru 4 feet of water. What could go wrong ? :o

They also had hundreds if not thousands of kids waiting outside for the bus during an active tornado warning. Solid work there.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So the 2 school systems that are around Subopt didn't cancel today, and there's video of a school bus plowing thru 4 feet of water. What could go wrong ? :o

They also had hundreds if not thousands of kids waiting outside for the bus during an active tornado warning. Solid work there.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Oh hai!

My parents house got destroyed in the flood - total loss. Glad we got them and as much out as possible.

This is looking at the living room and kitchen - no more furniture, stove, washer/dryer, refrigerator, cabinets....water blew it all out.

This house was built in 1947 - and survived every hurricane thrown at it for 71 years. Until this one.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh hai!

My parents house got destroyed in the flood - total loss. Glad we got them and as much out as possible.

This is looking at the living room and kitchen - no more furniture, stove, washer/dryer, refrigerator, cabinets....water blew it all out.

This house was built in 1947 - and survived every hurricane thrown at it for 71 years. Until this one.

oof brutal. glad they evacuated. everything else is just stuff.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Oh hai!

...Shit. What is the high water mark?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Oh hai!

:(
really sorry man. glad everyone is safe, and hope you have a lot of good memories from that place.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
:(
really sorry man. glad everyone is safe, and hope you have a lot of good memories from that place.
Thanks, buddy! There were good memories made all the way up to the end. I'm sure they'll rebuild a little something there...went through it before with Irene in 2011, but not to this degree - this one really takes wind out of your sails. But, the people there are resilient, and will keep moving forward without having anyone throwing paper towels at them.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Whoa, so sorry to hear Greyhound.
Glad that they are all safe.
It was crazy how that storm hit.
My sister's family evacuated Charleston to come stay with us, and it did not even end up raining there.
At my house, we got a steady light rain for a day but no real wind at all. But I had buddies as close as Charlotte
getting bad flooding.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Pig my fish. Those pictures are sobering. Glad everyone is okay and you had some advance warning to take care of as much as you could. Best of luck with the rebuild.