Quantcast

%&%&% Hi. How are you? It's been a while. Monday GMT &*&*&

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i won't regale you with all of the crazy, overworried, obsessive shit my mother has done but the two funniest things over the past few days have been watching her dip cheese and crackers in her tea today and watching her try to drink out of the teapot at lunch yesterday. i also have taken to playing little games, like trying to guess if she'll come back from the bathroom with her pants zipped and buttoned or not; estimating how long it will be when i leave the room before she calls me for something; and guessing how long it will be after she starts doing something little (like making a cup of tea) before she calls me to ask me what she's supposed to be doing. so much fun. like as i was typing the last sentence, that exact thing happened in real time.
cannot wait to pick up dad from the hospital get on that effing plane tomorrow. :blink:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i won't regale you with all of the crazy, overworried, obsessive shit my mother has done but the two funniest things over the past few days have been watching her dip cheese and crackers in her tea today and watching her try to drink out of the teapot at lunch yesterday. i also have taken to playing little games, like trying to guess if she'll come back from the bathroom with her pants zipped and buttoned or not; estimating how long it will be when i leave the room before she calls me for something; and guessing how long it will be after she starts doing something little (like making a cup of tea) before she calls me to ask me what she's supposed to be doing. so much fun. like as i was typing the last sentence, that exact thing happened in real time.
cannot wait to pick up dad from the hospital get on that effing plane tomorrow. :blink:
your mom has dementia, no? one thing i remember from whern my grandma had dementia was that still still had extremely good memory retention from when she was young, and she could talk at length about her early days. might be worth asking your mom about it. i learned what it was like growing up on a farm the middle of 7 kids and going to a 1 room school house.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
your mom has dementia, no? one thing i remember from whern my grandma had dementia was that still still had extremely good memory retention from when she was young, and she could talk at length about her early days. might be worth asking your mom about it. i learned what it was like growing up on a farm the middle of 7 kids and going to a 1 room school house.
Toward the latter stages of both my Grandmas battle with dementia they would start telling stories and talking to you like they knew exactly who you were. Previously they’d both gotten en they even had grandchildren, much less which one I was, then randomly they started addressing me by name asking about my life, telling me their childhood stories eyc. Problem was if you talked to them for more than 15-20 minutes they’d start over as if you hit rewind. Dementia is fucking weird, and sad, and weirdly sad.

In lighter news, broke in the wok burner tonight with some leftover hodgepodge fried rice. Wok burner FTW!
E126C82C-FBFB-46E0-B564-D3CE923059C5.jpeg

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
yes alzheimer's/dementia.

i've heard about her childhood more than enough. main issue is she can't take care of herself, and has always been over the top worried and anxious and controlling, but now on one hand realizes that she's confused and can't take care of herself but on the other forgets things so quickly that she doesn't realize (or can't accept or admit) the former. it's a vicious cycle that repeats ALL DAY LONG. i can see how my dad is exhausted by it and can't really recover from his own problems, which are physical not mental. really what they need to do is just move into an assisted living facility - or even just get their name on a damn list for one - but getting to that point is proving impossible.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

i've heard about her childhood more than enough. main issue is she can't take care of herself, and has always been over the top worried and anxious and controlling, but now on one hand realizes that she's confused and can't take care of herself but on the other forgets things so quickly that she doesn't realize (or can't accept or admit) the former. it's a vicious cycle that repeats ALL DAY LONG. i can see how my dad is exhausted by it and can't really recover from his own problems, which are physical not mental. really what they need to do is just move into an assisted living facility - or even just get their name on a damn list for one - but getting to that point is proving impossible.
That blows and I'm sorry you have to go through it. I hope for everyone's sake they consent to getting the right care. It sucks seeing situations like yours reach a point where your memory of that person is forever tainted and their passing is a relief as much as it is sad.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

They need to start now. It takes a long time to get into good ones and they are just getting more expensive. Try to address it fiscally, if he will listen that way. A lot of times, once you factor the stress on the family and risk of her walking away, it's worth it.

My friend's dad has dementia that put him into a facility at 60, which started to appear at ~50-55. They had him on a watch schedule and his brother fell asleep unintentionally. His dad "got out" wandered about 2 miles away, walked into someone's home, and got a gun pulled on him. Thankfully the owner realized quickly that he was just a confused old man wearing one shoe, trying to find where his wife had moved the glasses to, and called the cops. He's been in a facility since. They see him daily, but don't have the stress of tending to him like an infant that can drive away.

My own grandparents are slipping into dementia too, and having them in an assisted living facility has been a huge stress relief for our family. Their's allows for in-out's for the non-dementia individual easily, but has double door security to keep the dementia patients from wandering. It's like a nice condo facility with their own kitchen (sans oven/burner), and served meals (in room or the group dining room).

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
They need to start now. It takes a long time to get into good ones and they are just getting more expensive. Try to address it fiscally, if he will listen that way. A lot of times, once you factor the stress on the family and risk of her walking away, it's worth it.

My friend's dad has dementia that put him into a facility at 60, which started to appear at ~50-55. They had him on a watch schedule and his brother fell asleep unintentionally. His dad "got out" wandered about 2 miles away, walked into someone's home, and got a gun pulled on him. Thankfully the owner realized quickly that he was just a confused old man wearing one shoe, trying to find where his wife had moved the glasses to, and called the cops. He's been in a facility since. They see him daily, but don't have the stress of tending to him like an infant that can drive away.

My own grandparents are slipping into dementia too, and having them in an assisted living facility has been a huge stress relief for our family. Their's allows for in-out's for the non-dementia individual easily, but has double door security to keep the dementia patients from wandering. It's like a nice condo facility with their own kitchen (sans oven/burner), and served meals (in room or the group dining room).
yeah, there's a good one nearby. problem is this is the house they've been planning to retire to since i they bought it when i was 9, and even though they've been "retired" to it full time for 17 years, it's gonna be damn near impossible to get them out of it. but they need to at least have the option, esp. if something happens to my dad or his condition doesn't improve in the coming months. they have the $ to do it; it's the will that's the problem.
LE UGH.