Quantcast

Hit with the ugly stick?

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
the hardtail doesn't look that bad but the dh looks like an xc rig....kinda like they were designed to be carbon but they made em out of aluminum....meh i'd check em out if i got the chance

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
wow the hardtail is ugly.

and what is the eye to eye on the rear shock?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
At first I saw the HT and couldn't figure out what the hell they were thinking, now I think that there just ahead of the fatty curve on this one... I suppose the trend is going to be form and then function... To bad form is subjective.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Skid plates on the hardtail and ULTRA LOW standover. It may look fugly, but it also looks like with a frame that small it should allow urban riders to progress and do tricks that are difficult on larger hardtails.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Inclag said:
Skid plates on the hardtail and ULTRA LOW standover. It may look fugly, but it also looks like with a frame that small it should allow urban riders to progress and do tricks that are difficult on larger hardtails.
Too bad any urban/dj rider that rides a Trek will get beat up quicker than he can throw a whip.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Inclag said:

Good thing all the norco bikes already have that, or Trek might be considered to be innovative. ;)

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
now we cant have that now can we.

jeese that rear shock is crazy what the hell are they doing tightning down that much on that thing.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
That hardtail is retarded unless it has really really thin tubing. Then it will just be retarded stiff. Why overbuild a stiff aluminum bike to make it strong when they could just as easily make a steel frame, with a traditional double diamond design, that would be equally strong, but ride smoother, weigh less, and cost less? I wonder how strong that thing is, how harsh it rides, and how heavy it is.

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
If i was batman and i rode a bike, i would choose the hardtail :stupid:
it looks like the things that they sell at wal mart that are supposed to look like dirtbikes.

on the other hand, the downhill bike looks like it would be pretty light.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I think its funny that some moutain bikers are so dumb that you have to ride a "cool" bike to go DJing or Street riding. Dont forget that "urban" riding on mountain bikes gets laughed at anyway

NickZ

Chimp
Dec 23, 2004
Sydney
Hopefully they're just playing around with design/construction ideas as neither of them look good at all. The HT looks a bit like on of those girl's step-through bikes.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Chris Duncan was riding that hardtail around at Sea Otter, so it could be a Fisher (or it could be a Trek, what's the difference right?). It was pretty funny seeing him try to look cool sitting on that thing.

You guys crack me up. I guess we should all just ride the same bikes and piss on anything that's different? Don't get me wrong, those certainly aren't the most astetically pleasing bikes, but damn, ease up a bit, they are only "proto-types" after all. Sheesh.... :rolleyes: (Too much negativity in the world)

Oh, hey, and DHS, ever seen the e2e for the shock on a Foes Fly?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
zedro said:
unlike something not as funny, like you trying to look cool sitting on your bike :blah: ;)
Oh believe me Z, there are few things funnier than me trying to look cool, on a bike or otherwise. :rolleyes:

It was an observation of Duncan's self-conciousness, not a judgment. You had to see it. It's also funny that when he was riding the jumps later on, he was not riding that special machine. Fact is he looked like he couldn't wait to get off it. Whatever, more power to him - personally I would ride just about anything if I could get paid for it. But I'm a sleezy 'ho.

zedro said:
Ridemonkey just might be the snobiest bike site on the internet.... :think:
Wow. Since you are one of the most frequent contributors, that's saying something. Doing your part much? :eviltongu :sneaky:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
OGRipper said:
Wow. Since you are one of the most frequent contributors, that's saying something. Doing your part much? :eviltongu :sneaky:
heh, dont worry, i was talking lightly, although Ridemonkey does indeed suffer from brand-snobism a bit. Does't mean you nor I necessarily fall into that catagory tho ;)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The Kadvang said:
That bike is fugly like zedros mullet.
Ooooh, one point for the Kadvizzle. But I keep hearing it's not a mullet...

[EDIT: See? He beat me to it!]

No prob Zed, I can be snobbish about asserting my anti-snobbishism. :p

I still don't understand why a bike supposedly built (in part) for grinds and other chainstay-bashing behavior has those nancy-boy chain stays. Maybe they just look tiny compared to those seat stays. I guess we'll have to wait for the press release for an explanation...

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
OGRipper said:
I still don't understand why a bike supposedly built (in part) for grinds and other chainstay-bashing behavior has those nancy-boy chain stays. Maybe they just look tiny compared to those seat stays. I guess we'll have to wait for the press release for an explanation...
they look replacable actually, maybe they arent even aluminum?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
That rear dropout looks replacable, but everything else seems to have huge beads of weld running down it. I'm particularly fond of the air intakes ;) And I'd be if it came in Rootbeer, it would rawk!
The DH looks flexy :P

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
cove rider said:
o so zedro doesnt have a mullet why do people say you do then?
not people, Frasier said i did, despite the claimed timeframe where we never even met in person yet....he musta been puffing his cheeks up and holding his breath again hallucinating.... :think:

i think ChrisRobin can vouch for my non-mulletness :D

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Zedro is mulletless.

I can see Trek making cosmetic revisions to those bikes. Amongst all those engineers and designers over at Trek HQ, at least ONE of them must have a sense of what looks decent...hopefully.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Monkeybidnezz said:
Damn...just when I thought they were getting going in the right direction with the sesssion...Those seriously fugly.
Man, I still think they had something going when in 2003 or 04 they had this killer looking Diesel with the shock going through the seat tube: 10" travel, single pivot with a pulley system.