Quantcast

HONDA... A picture says a thousand words

humprabbit

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
Im not going to say anything about this picture, Ill leave it for discussion but it is very interesting in my opinion.

Lets see if any of you can pick up on it

humprabbit

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
Heres my take on it.

1. 'Mission case' is no longer carbon, To me it looks like high impact GRP, widely used in the automotive industry for wing mirrors etc and very durable, hence the lack of the latice support cage. It also seems to be two piece which would aid consumer servicing and replacement if damaged.

I beleive the metallic plate is just a model badge, but the white cap looks like a screw bung which seems to be in the area of where the gear cable would connect with the funky mech set up.

2. The Forks. These are also no longer carbon but regular ( well as regular as you would expect from Honda) material, lending itself to a more production freindly fork, Also the crowns are much more consumer finished.

3. The seat tower. No more carbon again, another sensible move for a production model.

4. Finishing components. Unbranded products are something that wouldnt be used on a prototype, and if my memory serves me right the cranks have never been anything but XT since day one. the brakes are Akiebono. Also the wheel package seems very market ready, gone are the Deemax and although its still a tubeless mavic it is one that can be replaced easily and cheaply if damaged.

Be interesting in the next 6 mths to see what news if any comes out of Honda, but I still reckon you wont see anything to buy until late 2006 if the way they release motorbikes has anything to do with it.

Price wise im going with at least £5500 (UK) and only 250 being made and that could be it then

Then again I could be wrong, just thought you lot over the pond might know something.

humprabbit

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
GAS is an Italian clothing manufacturer that has always been involved with honda making their team clothing etc...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
The white sign on the stand behind it is asking people to fill in a questionairre. Interesting...more market research.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
buildyourown said:
What's different about it? I got to touch one this weekend at Masters.

i shot some pics of the production one at sunpeaks

still not home but i noticed it looked like a production

model too.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
i love the looks of that bike, the geo looks like i could instantly feel comfortable.
i'd ditch that ghey front fender and probably loose the USD fork.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
That's pretty interesting. I remember at last year's national in Big Bear, one of the Honda Reps. was walking around getting people to do a survey. I think that's what they are doing here. They made a bike that looks like a production bike, and are using it for research and development.

BTW...that bike is a beauty. I'm guessing it will cost about as much as a slightly used Honda Civic--if it ever goes into production.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
bcd said:
i shot some pics of the production one at sunpeaks

still not home but i noticed it looked like a production

model too.
The guy riding the Honda bike at the Master's was the development engineer for Honda in charge of that bike. Iguess he used to be a big time pro MX racer. Anyway, he was stupid fast for being in the 45-49 year old bracket. He beat me and half the 30-34 year olds.

BTW: congrats to BCD on his podium finish.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
valve bouncer said:
The white sign on the stand behind it is asking people to fill in a questionairre. Interesting...more market research.
hey davo, do me a favour and ask around... what do they sell for in japo ??

PM me if ya want...

cheers :thumb:

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
i was reading about that bike in Croatian T3 magazine...

it costs 45,000 EUROS i dont know how much is it in $

but if you wanna order it you must order directly from HONDA factory and you must talk with director of Honda...

too much money for that bike, i would perfere nicolai or somethging like that

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Downhiller said:
i was reading about that bike in Croatian T3 magazine...

it costs 45,000 EUROS i dont know how much is it in $

but if you wanna order it you must order directly from HONDA factory and you must talk with director of Honda...

too much money for that bike, i would perfere nicolai or somethging like that
no, that was the first one.. the new one is going to be MUCH cheaper...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Jeremy R said:
If Honda was smart and used their money to sell these at a very reasonable price, they will not be able to make enough of them.
100% agree, if i didn't have a semi long termish deal with orange I would be all over it. It's just perdy.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Its got a purdy mouth!

I guess that Honda has decided that they would rather see Honda DH bikes at mtb races than 50's.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
If this bike goes for more than 4000 dollars it would boggle my mind. Honda has the manufacturing ability to run circles around the entire bike industry. They have more resources and assets than the rest of the guys put together. They have their hand in a lot more than just cars, bikes, small engines...

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Doesn't matter how capable Honda's manufacturing ability is. When you produce only 250 of something, it's going to be very expensive. (not sure who quoted that number or if it's even accurate)

Personally I am shocked that Honda is even bothering with mountain bikes. The money they will make from these bikes is peanuts compared to what they make from cars, lawnmowers, motorcycles, etc...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
neversummersnow said:
If this bike goes for more than 4000 dollars it would boggle my mind. Honda has the manufacturing ability to run circles around the entire bike industry. They have more resources and assets than the rest of the guys put together. They have their hand in a lot more than just cars, bikes, small engines...
I agree, they also have some crazy partnerships setup, so it may be possible to get really nice stuff on this bike at a budget price.

I think we may be about to witness the beginning of the sane pricing spectrum for the gravity world. There is no reason besides lack of volume that a DH bike should cost more then a friggin' motorcycle. Honda is the only one who can able change that (in my opinion) at this point due to their manufacturing abilities.

oh also wheelie: when i heard initial rumours last year, it was for 2000-3000 frames. That of course is ridiculously high, but I am sure they will flood their dealers, and do many more then 250 bikes. Besides, they already have the tooling ready from their prototype bikes..why waste it? Better to produce 250 of something when the tooling is already done, and help pay off setup, then to do nothing at all.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Transcend said:
fragile? have you seen what minnaar puts this bike through?

Well - but how long time does he has to ride the same frame ? The tear and wear from the private customer will be stretched over a much longer period - and then we will see what can hold up - and especially what can not...