Quantcast

Honda RN01 Was Creative......

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Did the UCI kill creativity by making Honda eliminate its original gearbox design? These are images from MBA's 2004 article on the Honda RN01. What do you guys think? Not to mention SHOWA....
honda-rn01.jpg
Honda RN01-1.jpg
Honda-RN01-2.jpg
Honda-RN01-3.jpg
Honda-RN01-4.jpg

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I wonder if it ever was like that inside.

I feel like Honda being Honda built it, put a great Rider on it, had the best mechanics working on it, won, quit.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I heard it was an engineering exercise in problem solving with no plans for a commercial product. Supposedly they crushed all the bikes but one? I think one got stolen too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I heard it was an engineering exercise in problem solving with no plans for a commercial product. Supposedly they crushed all the bikes but one? I think one got stolen too.
more than one exist. . honda has one kicking around and Minaar still has one

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
where are you getting this? the story i'd heard as to the major design changes is that the original design (shown here) was too complicated and provided too little benefit.
"The first series of the gearbox was said to allow a huge number of gears to be accessed by the riders, so much so the UCI introduced a rule limiting the number of gears to nine for downhill bikes. It was a CVT system as found in modern day cars. That does pose an interesting question as to whether this rule has been updated now that ten speed systems are available?!"

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I asked my friend that was working at SHOWA if the suspension would ever make production. He said probably not. The number would just not be high enough to justify them mass producing the units.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
"The first series of the gearbox was said to allow a huge number of gears to be accessed by the riders, so much so the UCI introduced a rule limiting the number of gears to nine for downhill bikes. It was a CVT system as found in modern day cars. That does pose an interesting question as to whether this rule has been updated now that ten speed systems are available?!"

interesting. this is the first time i'm hearing about the UCI aspect, although i'm not entirely convinced a larger qty of gears is necessarily a benefit for DH.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I wonder what drag was like. It sounds like it might work well on today's trail bikes.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
A lot was said when the first Honda’s were out in the wild.
In the end it was all a bunch of R&D.
It was never meant to become available to the public and nothing got banned by the UCI.

And why would you want more gears on a DH bike anyway?
The main advantage would have been shifting while coasting so you can pedal out of a corner without having to change gears first.

But seeing how gear boxes havent caught on its probably not worth the extra weight over a traditional derailer.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I have 2-3 other magazines including the Dirt one about the Rn01. I will look and see whats in there....

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Back when the program was up and running I heard that it was just R&D to improve the suspension characteristics for the moto side.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
random image search find: a couple rn-01's were stolen back when they were being raced. lo & behold, this showed up on ebay a couple years later (the gearboxes were removed from the bikes & kept in the hotel rooms because of all the secrecy at the time, explaining the lack of drivetrain). curious what happened with this one:

honda.JPG

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
interesting that shimano has recently patented a derailleur in a box concept:

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/shimano-gearbox/
As I stated before in the gearbox thread, the second version (essentially derailleur-in-a-box) generated the original patents which were later yielded to Shimano, leading to the in utero killing of the German-developed PeteSpeed (later bought by Hayes).

I'm not entirely convinced the first version existed though. I remember reading that MB Action issue back in the day and it was nothing much than speculation. I still think it was a major trolling act from the Honda engineers involved in the project. But then again, I recall those animals making a miniature version of the VFR superbike engine, with its own gearbox and all. The intake/exhaust valve heads were the size of clothes pins.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So if you fit a gearbox to the Marin/Polygon R3act bikes you'll get a Honda?

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Did the UCI kill creativity by making Honda eliminate its original gearbox design? These are images from MBA's 2004 article on the Honda RN01. What do you guys think? Not to mention SHOWA....View attachment 140104View attachment 140105View attachment 140106View attachment 140107View attachment 140108
Mate, so glad you posted that! I'll be saving for posterity. Few people know of this initial version, they usually only know of the second, "d* in a box" (hehe) iteration.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Well fuck me, the original Honda patent has all the data in there, with better diagrams. I honestly didn't believe they made that thing, but I gotta admit I was wrong.

Bike Industry Engineers slightly tweaking a product for decades. Slowly refining it no huge jumps in a short time. Honda F this trash lets ditch the 1.75LBS off the ass and make something unique....

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I actually forgot to bring the other magazines into the studio today. Maybe I will text the wife see if she can drop them by on the way to work.

Also @buckoW I am expecting that transmission in the next two weeks. I can get you the mailing address. Can the exoskeleton match a Pinion? Just for ease of mounting. Thanks

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The CVT idea got me thinking about repurposing a NuVinci hub as a gearbox, kinda like GT did a long time ago with the IT-1. Either my Google-Fu isn't very effective or nobody else has traveled that road before. Maybe the 2.4kg weight penalty has something to do with it :busted:.